Why become a member? ×

Guest BassAdder27

I’ve decided to look at some 115 cabs but not the smaller ones ideally rated to 400w RMS 8 ohms 

I have the two ABM210H EVO IV Pro Neo cabs which are still fairly new with covers but I’m looking for something different 

I recall Ashdown did the older ABM Klyston Neo 115 cab ( ported ) rated 400w and about 29” tall 

That’s the kind of cab I’m considering and adding a second 115 

Just need a bit more low end I feel to fill out the rock trio band ( PBass with Pick ) 

Thoughts ? Other suggestions?

This is without PA support 

Also I will need them fairly quickly!!

Edited by BassAdder27

I think the Ashdown 2x10 is sealed rather than ported. That would suggest that it is more likely to be mid-bass punchy than have lots of LF content.

I’ve found that lots of LF can be a problem in smaller venues though as it tends to sound boomy, so a more extended response cab could need dialling back quite a bit.

Why not give Ashdown a call and ask their opinion on changing one of the 210s to a 115 from the same range? That might be a solution and getting advice from the manufacturer would be preferable as I’m sure they’d advise if the two wouldn’t work together.

Your kind of approaching it from an ill considered starting point.  There is absolutely no guarantee that getting a big 15 is going to get you more bottom end than an alternative configuration.  Please don't get hung up on the fact iy needs to be a 15" to be bassy.  

I gig in a LOUD 3 piece rock covers band (don't go through PA though drummer's kick and snare do) and my pair of TCRS210 cabs easily produce enough bottom end to be heard.  The added bonus us that when I stack them vertically I have a driver at ear level so I can hear exactly what I'm doing.  

IMG_20210611_113645392.thumb.jpg.88213300e1ad75387f0041ee00104965.jpg

• Like 1

Well it might of been “tired ears syndrome” from last nights rehearsals 

Just played it and I think the 210 cab has plenty of low end it’s just getting the right EQ to match the bass, pick playing and band sound. 

Dilemma over for now I think !

Not sure if it’s of any use to you but when I used to use my LB30 through my ashdown 115 deep cab , it never really gave me the deep bass I was looking for, I’m not really a pedal person but I bought one of these ,and with a bit of tweaking it definitely increases the lows 

0E5CB003-D0E0-4BDF-AF03-DC8CB9655EC3.jpeg

If you like your Ashdown stuff then I'd recommend stacking up two of the Rootmaster 115s. While these are typically rated at 250 or 300 watts I've somehow acquired one that has had a bit of an enhancement and is 500w rated. I used to have another and stacking them up gave me nice big round bottom end. No idea why but I moved on the standard cab at some point. Then I wanted a second cab again and got a deal I couldn't turn down on an RM 210. Its a subtle difference but the 15 to me just sounds more full. 

16341970802444687504571197556439.jpg

16341971044956406768097159210919.jpg

• Like 1

Naturally, I would suggest the Mesa Subway series. However, they are not immediately available and so I won't make that recommendation.

I would be very inclined to look at a Berg 2x12. @rumblefish has one of these and it sounds really good. Truckloads of depth and a wonderfully balanced sound. I have a Mesa 2x12 on order thanks to that cab. 

EQ; unless you've got big folded bins your bass cab, no matter what it's loaded with, will start to roll off significantly below 100hz. Consequently perceived bass out in the audience is more defined around eq'ing the 80/100hz area and definition of your notes eq'ing the mid range area.

I had an SWR Silverado combo once, the 4 x 8 version. Dreadful sound on its own but cut through in the live situation really well and in the band context had a great sound.

In contrast had a Trace Elliot 300 watt 1 x 15 combo which was plenty loud and sounded great on its own but was always fighting boominess in small venues. 

In terms of being heard and controlling tone, have had the best success with 4 x 10 cabs. But it's different for every player of course.

19 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

If you don't mind the size and weight, old Peavey Black Widow cabs can be had for little money. I had one and it was excellent. Only sold it because it was a bit of a beast to transport and store.

I had one of those. Lived in a 2nd floor flat (no lift) and had a car with a boot rather than hatchback. Luckily I was mid 30s, would never be able to do that now. Was worth the struggle for the sound though, great cabs.

• Like 1