Why become a member? ×

**WITHDRAWN** USA Custom Conklin 8 String Bass. Extremely Tentative Listing. £4000
£4000
Wickford, Essex.

binky_bass

Hi all,

This is an extremely tentative listing purely to potentially raise some money for a new venture. 

It is quite an amazing bass.

It has a Pink Ivory fretboard which is now an endangered species wood so can no longer be used for luthiery, so I've been informed.

This bass was built as a 'show-stopper' by Bill Conklin himself for Ishibashi Music Company in Japan, literally no expensive was spared in its creation. It has dual active magnetic pickups specifically build for Conklin by Bartolini for this bass, as well as a RMI Piezo pickup in each of the custom bridge saddles and a full MIDI pickup system too.

It has a custom Demeter pre-amp, and for those that know Demeter, you'll know this is a damn good thing.

The overall construction is as good as it gets. Light Ash body wings with a think slab of Buckeye Burl on top, the through neck is Zebrawood and Wenge with a Pink Ivory fretboard and Wenge binding. 

The controls are:

Top Row: Magnetic volume, magnetic blend, Piezo volume, MIDI volume.

Second Row: Bass, Mid, Treble for the Magnetic pickups.

Third Row: Piezo/Piezo and Magnetic/MIDI switch, Up/Down MIDI patch switch.

It has a MIDI input as well a dual Neutrik Jack inputs.

Swiss army knives compare themselves to this bass for versatility. 

To commission a like for like bass from Conklin today would be in excess of $10,000 without shipping and taxes. Including shipping and taxes this would cost close to £10,000 to bring into the UK and a near 2 year wait.

Overall the bass is in excellent condition, some very minor markings on the top but nothing particularly noticeable. I'll take some better pictures tomorrow. 

Collection is VERY much preferred, however I can ship if all responsibility is assumed by the buyer. We can of course discuss insured shipping.

Any questions, please ask. 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 6

• binky_bass changed the title to USA Custom Conklin 8 String Bass. Extremely Tentative Listing. £4000
2 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

So it's left handed then!

It is in that video! (The effect of filming myself with a camera phone!)

It is most assuredly a righty and NOT a lefty! Though ironically I am left handed for everything apart from bass/guitar. 

So, to confirm... this is a righty! :)

Edited by binky_bass

2 hours ago, binky_bass said:

For those that thought 8 was too many strings, here's an outdoor snap of the Conklin next to its bigger brother, Binky.

20180602_153828.thumb.jpg.a189e28a379cb218703884e3b257b4dd.jpg

Such a huge amount of wood.... they could build a whole Steinway from it... :D

• binky_bass changed the title to **WITHDRAWN** USA Custom Conklin 8 String Bass. Extremely Tentative Listing. £4000
  • Silvia Bluejay locked this topic