Why become a member? ×

Preamps - Where is yours in your chain and how do you put it to use?

AinsleyWalker

Always been a big fan of having a preamp pedal somewhere in my signal path, even with active basses, and often in differing positions.
After a big pedal clearout, I'm left with an Aguilar Tone Hammer and a Darkglass Vintage Deluxe.

Usually I'll run the Tone Hammer at the end of my chain for an overall tone control before going out. Does anyone use theirs solely as a drive? With the gain past noon and the AGS engaged it can get pretty hairy. I've also seen some players run their TH at the start of the chain, I suppose to control their clean tone precisely before it hits the effects in the chain. I'm finding myself seeing a use for mine diminishing though. 

With the Vintage Deluxe, I'll almost always use that as a low-gain drive or to get a boost in the high mids, it's a bit too bright and lacks warmth I want for it to be a general preamp for me personally. 

How do you use your preamp(s), and where do you put them in your chain? 
Interested to hear other people's setups :) 

My chain at the moment is: tuner>fx pedals (in 2x loops that can be reversed) >preamp>compressor>eq/di. 

Ideally I'd like separate pedals for everything and to be able to move them around easily (with a boss ES5 type thing) because generally I want preamp at the end of the chain but that doesn't always work so well if it's colouring the sound and has something like fuzz ahead of it, and some things like delays sound best after the preamp. Preamps with built-in DI and no fx loop cause a bit of a problem for me as the DI needs to always be at the end of the chain.

I'm not such a fan of Multi-Fx but re-ordering for different presets is something they're really good at. 

• Like 1

I like having my preamp at the front of my chain so I can shape my tone before hitting any other pedals, even if I'musing it for some drive. I pretty much never use the DI on most preamps either because I want the DI at the end, so I always use a seperate box.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NewUser said:

Having low mid high on the amp and a preamp with low mid high built into the guitar I've wondered if I bought a preamp pedal if it would just be overkill and bring me instant buyers remorse?

Sometimes its great to experiment with more than 1 preamp into a amp..... A VT bass into the B7k is stupendous.

• Like 2

Preamp pedal is a broad term: From simple tone changers like the One Control Crimson Red through to clean EQ/DI things like the Q-Strip, through to some that are more like distortion pedals, and some that are more like Multi-Fx with compressors and IR loaders. That along with whatever other pedals you have and sounds you want probably means there's no definitive answer but it seems to me that ones with a DI are designed to be end-of chain. 

• Like 2

I leave the low, mid, and high knobs all the way up on the built in preamp of the bass guitar, then adjusted desired tone at the amp head low mid high knobs.

I'm staying away from a preamp because I can't figure out why or where or how to set those same controls in my pedal chain. Probably wouldn't benefit me at all would it? Maybe I'm making a rookie mistake?

On 14/10/2021 at 13:00, NewUser said:

I leave the low, mid, and high knobs all the way up on the built in preamp of the bass guitar......Maybe I'm making a rookie mistake?

Can I ask why you are turning the knobs on your bass preamp all the way up?

8 hours ago, spyder said:

Can I ask why you are turning the knobs on your bass preamp all the way up?

The settings on my amp usually stay around, 

Gain 10.5 O'clock 

Low, all the way up

Mid, 9 O'clock 

High, 3 O'clock 

Chorus, 10.5 O'clock 

Volume around 9 O'clock if my girlfriend is home, 3 O'clock if she's not here. 

On 11/10/2021 at 21:33, AinsleyWalker said:

Always been a big fan of having a preamp pedal somewhere in my signal path, even with active basses, and often in differing positions.
After a big pedal clearout, I'm left with an Aguilar Tone Hammer and a Darkglass Vintage Deluxe.

Usually I'll run the Tone Hammer at the end of my chain for an overall tone control before going out. Does anyone use theirs solely as a drive? With the gain past noon and the AGS engaged it can get pretty hairy. I've also seen some players run their TH at the start of the chain, I suppose to control their clean tone precisely before it hits the effects in the chain. I'm finding myself seeing a use for mine diminishing though. 

With the Vintage Deluxe, I'll almost always use that as a low-gain drive or to get a boost in the high mids, it's a bit too bright and lacks warmth I want for it to be a general preamp for me personally. 

How do you use your preamp(s), and where do you put them in your chain? 
Interested to hear other people's setups :) 

I used my tone hammer purely as a drive and I’ve posted before about how you can tailor the pedal to give more ampeg like tones…

see the post on this thread. 

I have a Basswitch on my board which is a bit of a hub/brain as it has quite a few options for fx loops etc and has two semi para mid eq’s. I have other pedals on the board but the Basswitch has been a constant for 9 years or so I think!! My Basswitch is my main eq with the compressor in the always on loop and the octave in the mix loop. I have the drive in line after the Basswitch and while

pedals come and go the comp and Basswitch are constants. 

0233D445-642E-412E-95F2-78042345A84B.png

AF1BFEBB-3774-4D45-BAA2-35F5F9AD3C2F.jpeg

Edited by krispn

On 14/10/2021 at 13:00, NewUser said:

I leave the low, mid, and high knobs all the way up on the built in preamp of the bass guitar, then adjusted desired tone at the amp head low mid high knobs.

It's all good whatever works for you, but I generally like to have eq controls on the bass guitar in middle positions - then I'm able to do things like boost the bass for just one part then bring it back down (without adjusting settings on the amp head which is set up for the overall sound), if everything is on full then can only cut things. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SumOne said:

It's all good whatever works for you, but I generally like to have eq controls on the bass guitar in middle positions - then I'm able to do things like boost the bass for just one part then bring it back down (without adjusting settings on the amp head which is set up for the overall sound), if everything is on full then can only cut things. 

🤔

There's a notch in the middle of the tone knobs that sort of holds the knob from slipping and finds exact center. I assumed that was zero and up and down was positive negative. 

3 hours ago, NewUser said:

🤔

There's a notch in the middle of the tone knobs that sort of holds the knob from slipping and finds exact center. I assumed that was zero and up and down was positive negative. 

Yeah that notch is so you can find the centre easily and is what I use as the default position. All set there means you then have the option to boost (or cut) each eq control, if they are all turned fully up you can only cut. The overall volume will be lower with them all set at mid point rather than fully up but you can make up for that at the amp (or preamp pedal). 

Edited by SumOne
  • Thanks 1

I use a VTBass DI at the end of my signal chain. I don't lug an amp and cab around with me and I like to not need a venue DI when I gig. It's a small effects chain, compressor, octaver (up, down and fifth up), chorus, occasional delay, preamp. Nothing overly complex.

38 minutes ago, NewUser said:

Is two mids, low mid and high mid worth having?

That’s what the dark glass preamp offers.  Depends what you think you may need out of a preamp but it can be more use for some players/situations. Being able to bump

a bit of low mids and or some higher mids say at 800Hz to poke out a little bit or being able to pull out some frequencies to clean things up a bit. can be useful. If you have access to a DAW or a eq pedla where you can play about with these and hear them in context. There’s some good stuff online about frequencies  or the qualities of different frequencies (boomy, muddy, boxy, shrill) etc. so if it’s something folks aren’t familiar with it’s worth checking out even if we’re still limited by the eq points on our amps or pedals etc. We don’t ‘need’ to know all this stuff but it can be useful down there line if you have an interest in such things. 

• Thanks 1