Why become a member? ×

Best Clip On Tuner

gypsyjazzer

47 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I use the tc electronic polytune clip on my ns-design cr5m - no problems even on the low B

+1, probably the best, certainly my favourite; I also have the App on my phone and the pedal, but the clip on tuner is greater, better than a more expensive strobe tuner I used to use. 

Same as @Frank Blank, I sold my two TC Electronic PolyTune Clip tuners when I bought my Peterson StroboClip HD clip on tuner. I senses the low B of my sixer EUB without any issue and is so precise.

I also use the hyper super accurate Peterson StroboStomp HD in my small pedalboard or for setting up instruments.

• Like 3

I also have both the Peterson and TC Unitune clip on tuners. I actually prefer the TC one as I find it easier visually, the moving strobe of the Peterson is difficult to hone in on steady setting. This is on an electric rather than an upright so YMMV. 

TC unitune as it's cheap and simple.

Works well on the bridge of my double bass and finds bottom e and drop tunings to c easily.  Also finds the bottom b of my five string electric when clipped to the headstock.

Took ages for it to arrive though .. stock shortages.

On 11/10/2021 at 22:29, Staggering on said:

D'Addario NS micro on the bridge of my DB and EUB(Yamaha SLB 200) and it is easy for me to see but almost invisible to anyone else. Very light and has long battery life. I also use it on guitar, mandolin and banjo.

After playing regular basses for 30+ years, I'm going to be new to EUBs shortly (iI have an NXT5s, it's here but remaining in the box until my birthday in 6 weeks); curious about clipping a tuner to the bridge.

I have a few clip-on tuners and tend to favour Snark units over anything else; as you're not going to be busy down the bridge end, would you actually have enough meat on the bridge to clip the tuner and perhaps have it poking up through the strings?  Would attaching a tuner to the bridge have any detrimental effect on the piezo?

nxtbody1.jpg

36 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

After playing regular basses for 30+ years, I'm going to be new to EUBs shortly (iI have an NXT5s, it's here but remaining in the box until my birthday in 6 weeks); curious about clipping a tuner to the bridge.

I have a few clip-on tuners and tend to favour Snark units over anything else; as you're not going to be busy down the bridge end, would you actually have enough meat on the bridge to clip the tuner and perhaps have it poking up through the strings?  Would attaching a tuner to the bridge have any detrimental effect on the piezo?

nxtbody1.jpg

The Yamaha SLB 200 has a bridge that is similar in shape to a regular DB bridge but a bit smaller so it is large enough to find a spot for the tuner. I have also used it on the upper end of the rather odd reverse tailpiece and it works well there too. I don't think it would affect the piezo, it is under the bridge on the Yamaha.

In the case of your EUB it might be tricky to find a large enough spot on the bridge to attach it to, I haven't actually seen an NXT in person so it's hard to tell if it would fit and then stay on. There is no tailpiece on your bass so that isn't an option. Some people put them on the headstock of a DB (I do on my EB) but I have had more success with it on the bridge. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

On a personal note, you have a lot more will power or strength of character than I do, I could not leave a new bass in a box for 6 weeks, make sure you give us a review of it when you start playing.👍😊 

1 hour ago, Staggering on said:

On a personal note, you have a lot more will power or strength of character than I do, I could not leave a new bass in a box for 6 weeks, make sure you give us a review of it when you start playing.👍😊 

My wife is covering the cost, so I have to do the dutiful thing, I suppose.  I'm still working from home and it's just in the box still.

20211014_140841.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Peterson strobo clip. Works on everything, double bass, eub, bass guitar, guitar and low Bs. Also has 'presets' that are optimised for different instruments, upshot of which it works perfectly.

Out of interest does it have a preset for Harp do you know?