Why become a member? ×

NPD: Cali 76

ped

The receptionist at BC Towers delivered this to me this morning! 

I’m looking forward to trying it out. They certainly have a good reputation and it sounds like it’ll do the sort of compression I like - so we’ll see….

Hopefully I get a chance to play with it later once everyone is fed and watered 

9720ED3E-59E1-4241-A08F-1C998E09E386.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Nice!

Did you go for the Compact Bass, or Compact Deluxe?

It's the box box without the transformer. 

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Ooh, moved on from the MXR have we?

The MXR is great and a useful little pedal. It doesn't leave me wanting when I can't use my VB99 but I just had to check out the Cali on reputation alone. I previously tried the FEA Opti-Fet and moved it on quite quickly as it wasn't for me, but I didn't lose anything in the process. That's how I justify these things in my head lol

• Like 2

Ok I've had a whirl this evening and have some immediate impressions to share.

First of all, it's very quiet. Quieter than the FEA and a tiny bit quieter than the MXR - the noise is about the same volume but lower in pitch so less noticeable. This is on an 18v supply; I have yet to try it on batteries which is how I'll mostly want to use it (aware that 18v gives more headroom, but I'm not convinced I'll need it)

I'm testing mostly with my G&L basses, a P with flats for the clanky finger funk and L2000 with rounds for the chewy slap.

Immediate observations are that it has a softening effect over the range, or certainly can do, which lends it a more musical sound than my usual digital limiter. It's a matter of taste as sometimes I like to ride the limiter hard and love the sound, clank and all, but using the Cali I can use a lower ratio and control the peaks without getting the hard edge I'm used to. Pops on the G string sound different, too - like there's more weight behind them, which feels great on the P but can take away the sharpness of them on the L2k. 

With some judicious twiddling I was able to get it sounding identical to the VB99 albeit with a microscopic addition of noise. I honestly don't know how the VB99 is so quiet (maybe being digital?) but I think overall it'll still be my go-to. I'll play some more and see how I like the Cali but right now it's clearly better than the MXR in the sound department, but given that I only use a pedal compressor for playing live and occasional jams where noise and absolute audio quality are secondary, I'm not sure how it fares against the MXR in that scenario, whilst the Roland has the studio side perfected.

I'll keep playing with it and see how I get on, I need to come back with fresh ears and do some recording comparisons too. 

Cheers

ped

• Like 2