Why become a member? ×

PSA: Gallien Krueger Legacy 500 cheap! 1 only....

fretmeister

So now you've flogged your MarkBass, you'll be needing a new third amp then😉

I was looking at the Gallien Krueger amps as an alternative to the darker MarkBass but then Musik Productiv came out with the deal on Ashdown kit and pairing my MarkBass with my Super Midget gives a great tone so I'm going to control myself.

I notice Polar Audio sell the same GK heads directly from their website but are much dearer than their Ebay page.  I suppose this is due to different return policies?  I.e. buy it for £100 cheaper but forego the opportunity of sending it back within the first month. 

Edited by BillyBass

3 hours ago, BillyBass said:

So now you've flogged your MarkBass, you'll be needing a new third amp then😉

I was looking at the Gallien Krueger amps as an alternative to the darker MarkBass but then Musik Productiv came out with the deal on Ashdown kit and pairing my MarkBass with my Super Midget gives a great tone so I'm going to control myself.

I notice Polar Audio sell the same GK heads directly from their website but are much dearer than their Ebay page.  I suppose this is due to different return policies?  I.e. buy it for £1200 cheaper but forego the opportunity of sending it back within the first month. 

Doubt it - the law is the law. Consumer Contract Regs (that replaced the Distance Selling Regs) allow for 14 days from receipt. Unless it's a custom made item it applies to all businesses.

6 hours ago, BillyBass said:

notice Polar Audio sell the same GK heads directly from their website but are much dearer than their Ebay page.  I suppose this is due to different return policies?  I.e. buy it for £100 cheaper but forego the opportunity of sending it back within the first month. 

I think the stuff they sell on eBay is mostly B stock of some sort. I've had an eye on them for a while and unfortunately I've been too sensible to indulge recently.

£489? For the £10 less you could get a brand new TC RH750 with several hundred free TC watts thrown in! 

This from TC about the sister amp, the RH450...

"While a conventional amp shows higher peaks but also deeper valleys, our amp excels in a high average power output over time, by controlling peaks and pulling up the nitty gritty signals... In our subjective tests, this exact point clearly mattered more to bass players than the short term peaks.
With these findings in mind we felt that a regular RMS power rating would never be able to express how the RH450 performs for bass players, hence we felt that it would be a more correct representation to rate the amp by its bass performance capabilities as opposed to the bench capabilities."

Not sure how the GK could possibly compete?

Sorry, that was a complete random thread diversion. As you were...

😁

I don't get why they sell the same amp on Ebay and their online shop, but they Ebay prices are way cheaper.

13 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Doubt it - the law is the law. Consumer Contract Regs (that replaced the Distance Selling Regs) allow for 14 days from receipt. Unless it's a custom made item it applies to all businesses.

Their Ebay listing does say 30 day returns, so you must be right.

I have a GK Legacy 1200, wanted an 800, but got a crazy deal on the 1200. The Legacy range are superb bass amps.

I much prefer GK To TC Electronic. Love the tone and they are so loud.

Never trusted TC wattage ratings. Of the TC amps I have tried they all sound processed probably due to built in compression.  

If this was an 800 I would snap it up, but I suspect the 500 is well loud enough for any application. 

My  backup GK MB500 shakes the rafters at 9 oclock setting.

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Damn! I really was hoping someone wasn't going to say that. 

Mind elaborating? 

It's just really, really good. The EQ is great. Clean tone is immense and the dirt has to be heard to be believed. Not the Darkglass bin lid distortion, but beyond any level of brutal tube distortion you can imagine. I haven't used it at 2 ohms yet, but at 4 ohms and 800w it's devastatingly loud.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It's a hybrid right with three valves in the pre? One of my fav amp configs, I'll have to admit.

Where would you put the clean tone on the sterile/clean/warm/coloured spectrum?

Depends how you set it really. I wouldn't say sterile though. With all the bump/contour/presence functions you can pretty much get anything you want.

• Thanks 1