Why become a member? ×

How long for PA speaker cables?

Jakester

I'm having to return a borrowed PA, so have had to acquire my own. I realised I'd have to buy speaker cables - just XLR - XLR, none of your fancy speakons here!

What's the optimum speaker cable length? I only ask as 10m cables are easy to get for a not-hideous price, but any longer and the prices start to rocket from places like Designacable and Studiospares. 

Hard to answer without knowing the size of venues you play and where you locate the power amps etc. Having said that, I would have thought that a couple of 10m and a couple of 5m would give you enough options for most smaller venues provided you can chain the cables.

I'd also advise marking the cables or connectors in some highly visible way to prevent them being mistaken for XLR mic cables. You would know the difference, but helpers might not be as clued up.

*** Ignore this re. marking - active speakers, so normal signal cables not speaker cables.

Edited by nilebodgers
  • Like 2

I'd also advise marking the cables or connectors in some highly visible way to prevent them being mistaken for XLR mic cables. You would know the difference, but helpers might not be as clued up.

Er, at the risk of sounding dense, what is the difference? 

I know there's a difference between instrument and speaker cables which are 1/4" plugs, but I thought XLR cables were broadly interchangeable as they're all balanced?

Edited by Jakester

2 minutes ago, Jakester said:

Active speakers.

Then mic type XLRs should be fine in this instance.

Powered amps going to passive speakers would need suitable cables for carrying such 'powered' signal - usually Speakons etc too.

• Like 3

The optimal size is long as they need to be and as short as you can get away with.

Luckily with XLRs you can chain them anyway - I have some 20M speaker ones, but a whole load of other cables that are shorter, and if I am closer to the speakers, I will use the shortest that I can. Not necessarily for electrical reasons, although that helps, more for lack of trip hazzard reasons!

• Like 2

Think about the routing of the cables and the positioning of the mixer vs the speakers. 

If the mixer is self operated at the back corner of the stage, the cable has to go from the mixer to the floor, along the back of the stage, up the side then up to the speaker. The other one doesn't need to do the back run. 

If its self operated from the front you can run the cables straight across the front of the stage and doesn't need to do the sides. 

If you bought 3 10m cables you've probably got it covered. And you should always have a spare XLR or two hanging around in case of failures and/or extra mics. 

On 11/10/2021 at 09:33, Jakester said:

I realised I'd have to buy speaker cables - just XLR - XLR, none of your fancy speakons here!

You say you have active speakers, so Speakons would be no use to you anyway. You need connectors that allow you to use shielded cables. Speakons won't do that and are intended to carry high current. XLRs are for mic or line level signals and your mixer will put out a line level signal. As others say, mic cables will be fine, although you might want to look at heavy duty versions as they may get trodden on, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...