Why become a member? ×

Amplifier automatically getting louder during the gig…is it possible?

mybass

Without naming the amp to prevent any pros and cons for it…..but I’m aware that it seems to get louder by itself about halfway through a gig. Is it possible for a ( non valve ) amp to do that as I’ve never had this before either in this make of amp or earlier makes? I’m looking at other possible sources as in pedal board, pots, cables but if any knowledgeable folk know more than me, please advise.

Are you sure you're not using a guitar amp? This feature seems to be in built with most models. :ph34r:🤣🤣

I'm not an electronics guy but have heard in the past of intermittent problems with power supplies (transformer etc) not providing enough juice then giving it full beans (both technical terms 🙂 ). Also if the volume pot loses connection to ground the volume will increase....but why it would do this only during mid gig I don't know. Happy hunting!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So many jokes possible on this thread, so little time.....

However, on a more serious note, coupled with what @Acebassmusic says, an amp can get awfully warm during a gig, so boards can expand and wires can move. When the thing is off it cools off and "resets" back to its original state. I'm not saying that's the reason, just that it's believable that something like you experience can happen.

Edited by chyc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, rmorris said:

What degree of volume change are you hearing ?

Is the amp very hot (as far as you can tell) when the volume change starts to kick in kicks in.

It seems to be time dependent ? So that sort of points toward a thermal issue.

I'm running into a Markbass 2x12" Ninja cab and not using anything like 'loud' input/output' ie input 4  output 3 so it shouldn't be heat causing the problem and it doesn't feel over hot at gigs end. I would think any thermal issue would have the auto cut out switching in, I've had that many years ago on a different amp. The actual change appears to be more tonal lower end bringing volume with it....

• 3 weeks later...