Why become a member? ×

NBD : Ibanez Roadstar II RB620NT (?)

Jolltax

I went to look at a Peavey Zodiac bass advertised in a local shop window for £99 and the guy showed me this Ibanez Roadstar II as well, according to Dr Google its a RB620NT from around 1983 (but open to advice on this).  I am a beginner player and don't  know much about gear but whatever it is, it spoke to me, and so I went home to find the cash, google it and went back today and got it, very grateful to the seller. I paid £180

It seems in strangely good condition for its age, better than I was at 38 years old, maybe it has been worked on? One of those situations where I don't really know what I bought ... but I like it 🤨. It seems pretty genuine, but again, I have no idea ...

I took the photos straight away when I got home before the light left, still undusted, as I wanted to post this and see whether people think I made a wise choice. I practiced with it this evening and it surprised me how lively the output is, for a passive bass it seems to have quite a kick compared to my (one) other passive bass, I love the feel of the neck - it is a P-bass type? No idea, lol.  I think it needs a setup and some strings and the neck looks a tiny bit torqued / twisted, is that usual for an old instrument?  Plays ok to me, though.

I get the impression it has been stored and unplayed for a while 5-10 years, any advice on what I should do with it to restore to full health?

Anyway, I am very happy with it, I feel like I need to get some flares to wear while I am playing it to properly do it justice, here are some pics :

20211010_180825.thumb.jpg.e76fe7c3641d8c13227bf3e7f436a35e.jpg20211010_180856.thumb.jpg.ffc297a58e7673636d3ac4730d80d4c6.jpg20211010_180830.thumb.jpg.06ff92a3eee5afbc2322675824b9e687.jpg20211010_180847.thumb.jpg.7a4e69260238ce1d5bc7a74242aeae1a.jpg20211010_180909.thumb.jpg.e449d8de7d92a1a4d0caa8fd15807d2e.jpg

Groovy!

J

• Like 21

I know a bit about this, but it seems rude to pick the low hanging fruit and leave the details to Bassassin to fill in. Would be even ruderer if I got them wrong, so I'll just wait nicely and let him tell us alllll about it. 

So I'm glad it's natural, as that's keeping my jealousy at bay :D

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Jolltax said:

I am a beginner player and don't  know much about gear but whatever it is, it spoke to me, and so I went home to find the cash, google it and went back today and got it, very grateful to the seller. I paid £180

£180????!!! If they have anything left handed let me know...!!!  Great deal. That will be a quality bass. Have it set up by someone who knows what they're doing, fresh strings and you've got an excellent, excellent instrument to learn on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice indeed! You made a great purchase, you could buy a lot worse for a lot more. The grain on the body is cool too. Looks like a one piece body? I could be mistaken, but that's something you just don't find very often, especially on modern basses.

Edited by Duarte
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

@Bassassin You should enjoy this ping a bit more than some of the junk we cast before your eyes

15 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I know a bit about this, but it seems rude to pick the low hanging fruit and leave the details to Bassassin to fill in. Would be even ruderer if I got them wrong, so I'll just wait nicely and let him tell us alllll about it. 

So I'm glad it's natural, as that's keeping my jealousy at bay :D

Blimey, the things you miss when you're not paying attention! That looks like it's in amazing condition.

So to do my duty - RB620NT, from August 1983, made by Fujigen Gakki. I could reel off a spec list but to save the copy-typing, here's the official blurb:

image.thumb.png.d08219211e32cb081fdb143bfd6e373d.png

Crazy bargain for £180, especially in that condition.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

You did very, very well!

When these instruments were new they were inexpensive and, as a result, they were dismissed by many as being “entry level”; A big mistake as these were very well made basses that played and sounded great. 

I started my bass journey 35 years ago with a good deal on a used Ibanez bass. I hope you have as much fun as I did!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Blimey, the things you miss when you're not paying attention! That looks like it's in amazing condition.

@BassassinI am very happy with it, thanks for the info and I have saved the catalogue.  I am also kind of puzzled why it is in such good and apparently original condition, the only thing I can think is that the original owners didn't use it / travel with it.

The description of the pickup is really interesting and explains why the output is high for a passive bass, it certainly surprised me when I played it for the first time!

J

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jolltax said:

I am also kind of puzzled why it is in such good and apparently original condition, the only thing I can think is that the original owners didn't use it / travel with it.

Could have been left in its case more often than not or meticulously looked after. I picked up an 80s/ 90s amp a few weeks ago that even smells new because it was left under a cover in a working men's club and got used about twice for a failed run of open mic nights. I've also seen a 70s Fender with a brand new looking neck but a sun faded body. It had spent 30 years hung on a wall and not really played.

80s Japanese made basses are incredible value for money. You've got something that will last a good while longer but it needs to be played!

• Like 1