Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Ultralights Size Advice

ash

I’m looking to replace the heavy tuners on my 2003 Corona P bass. Does anyone know which tuner I need to go for? I know that there are licensed and US made Ultralights but what size string post? I’m looking at the chrome/clover models.

Here are two pictures to illustrate what size tuners are already on my bass, any help would be appreciated. 

EEC1014C-6379-408B-A167-843010BB56E5.jpeg

BFC04BB2-409C-4F82-A6FF-2DC8E869AAB7.jpeg

The best thing to do it to take one of them off and measure the diameter of the hole then check out the Hipshot website for the Ultralite that corresponds to the closest in terms of size. There are pdfs showing the dimensions on their website.

If they are slightly small then what I do is tape a piece of paper to the outside of the part that screws into the tuner at the rear and wrap paper around it until it it fits snugly in the hole. once I get to that stage I then stick a small piece of tape to the paper to stop it unravelling.

There are sleeves available from Hipshot apparently which do the same job but the paper is the best solution that I have found. The only thing is that the footprint of the Ultralite will be smaller than the existing tuner so you will be left with whatever is underneath these tuners. Not as bad as the traditional Fender type tuners where you're left with 4 holes but I think that there are indentations behind your ones that hold the tuner in position at the rear.

The picture below shows what was behind the Rickenbacker tuners when I had them on my 4003

20190201_095244.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1