Why become a member? ×

Royal Blood on a tight budget

SteveXFR

Some good alternative options here, though it has to be said that with the Unibass, Fission or Helix the “tight budget” prerequisite isn’t going to be met.

Realistically a used LS-2, used SubnUp mini and a dirt box at the cheap end (if there’s not already one lying around) could all be got for £100 or less and would cover what’s needed at this stage.

Edited by mr4stringz

10 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

Some good alternative options here, though it has to be said that with the Unibass, Fission or Helix the “tight budget” prerequisite isn’t going to be met.

Realistically a used LS-2, used SubnUp mini and a dirt box at the cheap end (if there’s not already one lying around) could all be got for £100 or less and would cover what’s needed at this stage.

True. I lost sight of the original question. Guilty as charged!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I've gone down this path and the set up I had was a little bear BS1 for fuzz, a tc sub n up for octave and a boss ls2. The boss ls2 is more expensive than a standard splitter but because it blends you don't need a separate amp

Little bear bs1 - around £30 from amazon

Boss LS2 - around £40 off ebay

TC sub n up was around £50 off reverb

I also added a big muff tone wicker to get another flavor of fuzz but the little bear bs1 is a clone of the woolly mammoth which is similar to the mastotron that Mike Kerr used

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Washy131 said:

I've gone down this path and the set up I had was a little bear BS1 for fuzz, a tc sub n up for octave and a boss ls2. The boss ls2 is more expensive than a standard splitter but because it blends you don't need a separate amp

Little bear bs1 - around £30 from amazon

Boss LS2 - around £40 off ebay

TC sub n up was around £50 off reverb

I also added a big muff tone wicker to get another flavor of fuzz but the little bear bs1 is a clone of the woolly mammoth which is similar to the mastotron that Mike Kerr used

Do you have a sample of the octave up/poly mode with bass chords? Not specifically covered in bass demos of the pedal around. Thanx!

15 minutes ago, andruca said:

Do you have a sample of the octave up/poly mode with bass chords? Not specifically covered in bass demos of the pedal around. Thanx!

Unfortunately no videos, I've since sold most of my Royal Blood style stuff but from what I remember it was really particular with chords and would have a fair few artifacts in the sound and some 'bassier' chords would freak it out but YMMV. Luckily for royal blood you dont need to use a massive amount of chords. If you do need to do chords it could be done or you could use a boss PS-6 as that can create chords from what Ive seen 

• Like 1

T-Rex Quint Machine!

Quite affordable, tracks great, really low latency, does both 1 octave up and a 5th up, sounds good (better for this sort of thing than any of the EHX POGs if you ask me, not quite as synth/organ like, a bit more natural sounding).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash