Why become a member? ×

Mod Devices Dwarf

ambient

I’ve been intrigued by the various MOD units for a while now, since seeing Steve Lawson using his Duo pedal.

So I finally bought one. I’ve only had very limited time with it - it only arrived yesterday -  I’m extremely impressed with it so far.

It’s incredibly well constructed, it comes with a really well made padded case, a cable to connect to your laptop, rubber and Velcro strips for the bottom, and a power supply. I had intended to mount it to a pedalboard and power it from the same supply as my other pedals - a pet hate of mine is untidy cables. That won’t work though, it needs a 12 volt 2 amp supply. I’ll still mount it on a pedalboard, I’ll just have to power it separately from its own supply.

The effects sound fabulous. When you first switch on, by default it loads an effect called Shiroverb, which is quite simply the best sounding shimmer effect I’ve heard.

it has two inputs and two outputs - these can be configured to supply a stereo signal - on the rear. There’s also a headphone output, and various connections to connect to a laptop.

it comes with a massive library of ‘pedals’ and amp/cab sims, you just drag and drop them into whatever position you want on your virtual pedalboard. Clicking on the ‘i’ icon above each item calls up an information page for it. You can expand your library of effects and sims from MOD’s plugin store. They’re grouped by effect type: delay, reverb, distortion etc. Some you have to pay for, the vast majority though are free.

It’s capable of an awful lot more than I’ve highlighted here, I’ve only been playing with it for an hour or so. It seems very intuitive - I’m not a naturally technically minded person.

DF602F0B-6D4C-4ED6-8237-C669E62262E2.jpeg

BCF66C05-5EEE-4D19-9749-BCE2E2E72D5F.png

804AF484-B06F-4EBB-A78E-24A8D96D5B94.png

83FFCF88-4334-4428-90A7-93152F85A36F.png

19F29375-492B-449D-B6AB-0747F5C8D48D.png

B2B84471-EFF2-4D69-B7D6-906EADBD5AD2.png

836B0BDB-86D6-418E-B836-BA8B8D8C14E7.png

Edited by ambient
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

… just wondering if you’ve ever tried a HX Stomp and if so, how the Mod compares?

They seem to be aimed at the same segment of the market. I used to have a stomp, sold it and though maybe go digital in the future. Just wanted to know what other similar things there were out there. 

Edited by jimbobothy
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

… just wondering if you’ve ever tried a HX Stomp and if so, how the Mod compares?

They seem to be aimed at the same segment of the market. I used to have a stomp, sold it and though maybe go digital in the future. Just wanted to know what other similar things there were out there. 

I’ve never tried a HX, sorry.

One of the things I like about the MOD is the ability to download pre-built user pedalboards, and third party pedals. I’ve got a shimmer verb by Shiro called the Shiroverb. There’s a delay pedal by then too that’s meant to be fantastic. Some you have to pay for, but they’re mostly free.

• 7 months later...