Why become a member? ×

The Band Lead Bag

Les

Anyone who's ever been in a working band knows the band lead bag/box.

It's a thing of utmost importance but over the years it collects a few casualties and weirdos along the way. 

It contains the living, the dead, the injured and the "just in case".

Over a year ago I decided to sort the band lead bag out. I disposed of the dead, straightened the injured and nursed them back to health, carefully calculated the various lengths required and purposes, wrapped them neatly and filled the pockets with spares, fuses, connectors, a torch, generic spare strap etc etc. It was a thing of beauty. 

Then I filled another bag with the walking wounded, weirdo's and stuff that was worth keeping just in case.

Guess which fookin bag I picked up and took to our first gig back after the apocalypse 😔 ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 26
  • Sad 1

Why is it that the bass player in most bands is the only one who knows how to correctly fold / wrap leads and all other musicians and drummer think it is ok to tie up cables in a knot, tread all over them when setting up and pretend they can not solder a bust jack when required despite the bass player who always does it  being tied up doing jobs other members should be doing for themselves.Finally when packing down cables are thrown from any point on stage in a rough direction to where the lead bag sits .Completely  satisfied that constitutes contributing to packing up and with there contribution now it’s time to vanish from site because heavy stuff needs to be moved.Just as we all say good nite comes a voice from the distance anyone packed the leads case with my lead in.God help us still wouldn’t swap it for the world

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I look after and in fact have bought almost all the leads for our band.  I’ve even built a custom snake for the far side of the stage to bring keys and key players vocals into the mixer and send main and monitor mixes back.

This is what my bag looks like after a typical gig:

79B90900-8374-4EE6-8876-850A7005E617.thumb.jpeg.d3bc252320dc7b1564c90c42e41643c3.jpeg

and the state of the leads that get thrown back at me at the end of the night by the keys player:

87E8CC12-8D01-4252-A1B2-976330E371C6.thumb.jpeg.f6bd98f9d7b51438020a770ea293f44f.jpeg

We have a new approach now - keys player keeps the leads, and I try to not watch as he pulls them apart when setting up for each gig.   I keep some spares just in case, because they aren’t going to last long with that sort of abuse!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les said:

In all honesty it isn't a problem with the rest of the band. We're pretty much a well oiled machine it's just taking the wrong bag in the first place that did for me 😂

You are a lucky man then!

I've also had to contend with the keys player spilling his drink all over the stage box and nest of cables a couple of times.  I sent him this the morning after the second incident:

A5DB4397-1987-4F6F-89D6-69CBD3D2503A.thumb.jpeg.3034ba9cf38b0dac814fd5794152e6b4.jpeg

To be fair that was a few years ago now - I've not had to launder any cables since. 

• Haha 2

I always kept my leads in good nick and cleaned them of spilt drink, crud etc whenever I got home but the rest of the band were not so diligent. I made sure I only had working leads and chucked any dodgy ones away but the others had intermittent faults in their leads. I had to mark my leads with tape as their dodgy leads always "got mixed up" with mine.

In the band I've just stepped away from after over five years one of the guitarists was a pro soundman and so he was in charge of the boxes and bags of leads. He was the boss of all that. I carried heavy stuff, packed stuff away and never, NEVER, treated any of the kit disrespectfully. What is it with some people? If the person in charge of the leads wants them looped anti clockwise in 12.3" radius circles and stacked neatly by the mixing desk at the end of the night then you try damn hard to do that for them, surely? If you benefit from it, you have a role in looking after it, and the person in charge of it. If any band member was to chuck gear about before or after a gig I'd offer to chuck their guitar/ drums/ folder of lyrics about in the same manner, see how they like that??!

As mentioned elsewhere, I have to return a borrowed PA. 

I have carefully segregated 'their' cables from 'my' cables - all of mine marked with green electrical tape, theirs in their box, mine in my box. 

Most gigs I'm able to intercept before they're put in the wrong box and then recoil them (properly) and tie using the velcro ties I put on all the leads. 

All of which came to naught after a rushed tear down in the rain and darkness which meant no-one could see and they all just got chucked into one box loose. 

That's going to be fun to sort on at the gig on Saturday...

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

In the band I've just stepped away from after over five years one of the guitarists was a pro soundman and so he was in charge of the boxes and bags of leads. He was the boss of all that. I carried heavy stuff, packed stuff away and never, NEVER, treated any of the kit disrespectfully. What is it with some people? If the person in charge of the leads wants them looped anti clockwise in 12.3" radius circles and stacked neatly by the mixing desk at the end of the night then you try damn hard to do that for them, surely? If you benefit from it, you have a role in looking after it, and the person in charge of it. If any band member was to chuck gear about before or after a gig I'd offer to chuck their guitar/ drums/ folder of lyrics about in the same manner, see how they like that??!

I was in a band who were anal about cable coiling.

Unfortunately it was symptomatic of an attitude that took all the fun out of playing music.

They made me take my gear on the bus once as they couldn’t be arsed to pick me up - a two-mile detour - then sent me an email complaining I hadn’t stuck around to load the van (I was on the last buses, yes two of em, home!)

I guess it’s a matter of perspective…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

I was in a band who were anal about cable coiling.

Unfortunately it was symptomatic of an attitude that took all the fun out of playing music.

They made me take my gear on the bus once as they couldn’t be arsed to pick me up - a two-mile detour - then sent me an email complaining I hadn’t stuck around to load the van (I was on the last buses, yes two of em, home!)

I guess it’s a matter of perspective…

These guys weren't anal about it, my point was if they were I'd be ok. As long as it was only that. Because someone else is providing something that I benefit from.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Bass players, eh ?

Sort out the leads

Sort out the diary

Set up the PA

Drive the van

Know where they're going

.....lets face it, we're bl**dy brilliant  !   😁👍

1. Own the entire PA - every single component from each lowly but essential 13amp power lead and mic cable to the subs except for one SM58 mic that belongs to one of the guitarists for b/vs.
  2. Own the small but functional and very portable lighting setup.
  3. Operate 1 & 2  the above.
  4. Carry 1 & 2 above in a van bought solely for that purposes.
  5. Load and unload 1 & 2 above in and out of 4 above on my own, despite one of the guitarists living approx 400m from me!!!
  6. Go through the cable and power trunks the day after a gig putting everything back as it should be!
  7. Sort out the shared diary, including reminding everyone to fill it in after someone says they're busy on a night that is plainly free in the diary.
  8. Sort out rehearsals inc locating and visiting new rooms due to band member changes.
  9. Select material and set lists. 
  10. Sort out the gigs, including visiting venues in person to look for new gigs, posters etc
  11. Record, mix and produce multi tracks from gigs and rehearsal for appraisals and use in social media.
  12. Keep social media up to date, including advertising gigs on regional and venue pages.

Brilliant?  I'm f**king amazing!!!!

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Own the entire PA - every single component from each lowly but essential 13amp power lead and mic cable to the subs except for one SM58 mic that belongs to one of the guitarists for b/vs.

Own the small but functional and very portable lighting setup.

Operate 1 & 2  the above.

Carry 1 & 2 above in a van bought solely for that purposes.

Load and unload 1 & 2 above in and out of 4 above on my own, despite one of the guitarists living approx 400m from me!!!

Go through the cable and power trunks the day after a gig putting everything back as it should be!

Sort out the shared diary, including reminding everyone to fill it in after someone says they're busy on a night that is plainly free in the diary.

Sort out rehearsals inc locating and visiting new rooms due to band member changes.

Select material and set lists. 

Sort out the gigs, including visiting venues in person to look for new gigs, posters etc

Record, mix and produce multi tracks from gigs and rehearsal for appraisals and use in social media.

Keep social media up to date, including advertising gigs on regional and venue pages.

Could you swap instruments and join my band.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

Thanks @uk_lefty  I do it because I basically don't trust anyone else to do it and get it right!!!!!

Ha! I pulled the plug on a band I had started after 9 months because I could see it heading down the same way....!

Guitarist: has anyone got a PA?

Me: my mate in my other band is an ex soundman, I can get hold of any PA kit we need from pub gigs to big functions. He's got about four or five different set ups. For a few pints he'd probably even come and set it up for us. Don't worry about it.

Guitarist points to a single speaker of his: But what do you mean by a PA?  That's a PA. And I use my Markbass combo as a sub.

Me losing the will to live: I mean a mixing desk, all the cables you'd need, monitors, speakers on speaker stands handling the vocal and.... Just a proper PA. Not a single speaker.

• Haha 1

I have a thing about spare cables… usually pristine and kept aside. So…

Vocalist: have you got a spare jack to jack for my acoustic?

Me: yes.

Vocalist: can I borrow it.

Me: yes you can, but on the understanding that if you don’t give it back to me at the end if the night it will be lost for all time.

Vocalist: just give me the cable.

NEXT GIG:

Vocalist: have you got a spare jack to jack for my acoustic?

Me: no.

• Like 2

I carry loads of spares of all types of cables. Each has a label on it stating its approximate length in metres, as well as a velcro cable tie. Yes I lend them to other band members, but I quickly retrieve them at the end of the gig because they are easy to identify.

#controlfreak

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

I carry loads of spares of all types of cables. Each has a label on it stating its approximate length in metres, as well as a velcro cable tie. Yes I lend them to other band members, but I quickly retrieve them at the end of the gig because they are easy to identify.

#controlfreak

All of my cables are marked with a different colour tie-wrap indicating the length in meters and are velco tied, and are bright yellow because that way I can see where they've been abandoned!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

All of my cables are marked with a different colour tie-wrap indicating the length in meters and are velco tied, and are bright yellow because that way I can see where they've been abandoned!

Well that just says where us bass players have been going wrong all these years. We need a band made up of multi instrumental bass players. The world would be a happy place of musicians that know there place only to willing to stand back and let others shine in the eyes of the audience.Also supplying there parts as needed but not trying to outshine each other.Staying in time with each other as the drummer would never stray due to there bass playing routes .plus always being on time and fully prepared for the gig playing on a stage where equipment is laid out with precision and detailed attention to hiding cables from the audience’s site. More over at the end of the night all used equipment is still in full working order but safe in the knowledge that we all carried back cables fuses soldering iron screw divers and other members within the bands own gear spares just in case. If I had only realised this 40 yrs ago all the ads put in the local paper for musicians and drummers would have been worded completely different.😂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WAYNESWORLD said:

...attention to hiding cables from the audience’s sight...

With all potentially visible extension cables and power leads being black to avoid being obvious should the odd cable or extension creep into the line of sight of said punters!

8 minutes ago, WAYNESWORLD said:

Well that just says where us bass players have been going wrong all these years. We need a band made up of multi instrumental bass players. The world would be a happy place of musicians that know there place only to willing to stand back and let others shine in the eyes of the audience.Also supplying there parts as needed but not trying to outshine each other.Staying in time with each other as the drummer would never stray due to there bass playing routes .plus always being on time and fully prepared for the gig playing on a stage where equipment is laid out with precision and detailed attention to hiding cables from the audience’s site. More over at the end of the night all used equipment is still in full working order but safe in the knowledge that we all carried back cables fuses soldering iron screw divers and other members within the bands own gear spares just in case. If I had only realised this 40 yrs ago all the ads put in the local paper for musicians and drummers would have been worded completely different.😂

It would be complete and utter perfection!