Why become a member? ×

In local shop window, Peavey Zodiac BXP

Jolltax

Saw this is my local shop window and was wondering whether it is a decent instrument, had no idea who Dave Ellefson is but according to Google is / was a Megadeth bass player, seems like a pretty low price - are they usually this cheap?

I don't know hardly anything about Peavey and never seen one in a shop, is it just a cheapy or worth having a look and making an offer ?

BXP.thumb.jpg.3b50f0599f21077651d793f7cdd6509b.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jolltax said:

Saw this is my local shop window and was wondering whether it is a decent instrument, had no idea who Dave Ellefson is but according to Google is / was a Megadeth bass player, seems like a pretty low price - are they usually this cheap?

I don't know hardly anything about Peavey and never seen one in a shop, is it just a cheapy or worth having a look and making an offer ?

BXP.thumb.jpg.3b50f0599f21077651d793f7cdd6509b.jpg

Doesn't look like the DE signature as they had mirror scratchplates, but you'll easily know for sure by the signature on the headstock.

Even if it's not a DE these are excellent basses, £99 is a bargain.

• Like 3

Cheap that, if you want a P/J you could do a lot worse and will always make your money back,

Sometimes get a nice surprise with the free gigbags too, I picked up a £50 Westfield P a few years ago and it came with one of the nice old Ritter bags, sold it on for £30 and kept the bass!

• Like 1

It's a BXP and a bargain 🙂

Scorpio DEs had the mirror plate and Duncan QPs.

Funny thing ; the Duncans were not Ellefson's idea , he liked the standard Peavey PJs. 

Tony Pasko , Peavey's marketing man, stepped in saying " No chance Dave , $50 of brand name pickups justify the $300 price hike." ☹️

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

It's a BXP and a bargain 🙂

Scorpio DEs had the mirror plate and Duncan QPs.

Funny thing ; the Duncans were not Ellefson's idea , he liked the standard Peavey PJs. 

Tony Pasko , Peavey's marketing man, stepped in saying " No chance Dave , $50 of brand name pickups justify the $300 price hike." ☹️

I worked in a shop when they were released and remembered preferring the standard to the DE too.

Although the included gigbag was nice with it’s made little scorpion stitching - think the 2nd batch didn’t even come with those.

• Like 2

Hi guys, I went to look at the Peavey bass and its in fantastic condition and looks like a great deal, the only reason I didn't buy it is that the guy showed me an old Ibanez Roadstar II  in very nice condition especially considering its age, it looks a bit like a P-bass and is more expensive but I really liked it so I had to go away and sleep on whether to spend the extra cash on it instead.  It looks like this one, was thinking about selling my Harley Benton Jazz bass to offset the cost difference.

Aargh

• Like 1

@kodiakblairI'm going to get back in touch tomorrow and if I decide not to buy the Peavey and get the Ibanez I'll ask the guy if he minds me passing on his phone number.

It does looks hardly used and in great condition, as you mentioned I don't think its a DE Scorpio signature model, I think he mis-googled. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jolltax said:

@kodiakblairI'm going to get back in touch tomorrow and if I decide not to buy the Peavey and get the Ibanez I'll ask the guy if he minds me passing on his phone number.

It does looks hardly used and in great condition, as you mentioned I don't think its a DE Scorpio signature model, I think he mis-googled. 

Ah good - thanks for picking my Ibanez up, I left it with the guy…

🥴

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Haha 3

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Ah good - thanks for picking my Ibanez up, I let it with the guy…

🥴

Starting to panic that you might live near me ...  I am sure the other Shetlanders would have noticed 🐑

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jolltax said:

Starting to panic that you might live near me ...  I am sure the other Shetlanders would have noticed 🐑

I was on a lot of heavy medication at the time. Because the bass was super heavy…but now I’m off my meds, I’d like it back.

• Haha 1

I bought the Ibanez, very happy. I will post some pictures in a NBD thread

The guy is still selling the Peavey (which looks in fantastic condition) and the guy is also selling an Ashdown head unit (Evo ii 600W he says) and cab, both look like really good deals to me, if anyone is interested in getting his contact details then PM me and I will pass them on and you can contact him

Edited by Jolltax
  • Like 2