Jump to content

New Ashdown Guy Pratt amplifier on the way?


NJE

Recommended Posts

I remember speaking to someone via Instagram who replaced the fan in their ABM for a high spec PC one, with the same size and voltage requirements.

It was whisper quiet by comparison, and when I say high spec, it was still only about £20.

I might do it in the future, but to be fair to Ashdown, how many people who buy a 600W ABM are that interested in  playing along with an acoustic set up? These amps are for loud stage use, they make plenty of smaller, and probably quieter amps and combos for when a lighter touch is required, no?

 

Eude

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the same thought yesterday, surely you can change the fan for a better quality/quieter equivalent for not much.

 

I had an ABM 300 head many years ago, and can’t remember how loud the fan noise was. I’m getting old and fussy now and I would love another ABM, but fan noise would drive me nuts after years of small class D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eude said:

I might do it in the future, but to be fair to Ashdown, how many people who buy a 600W ABM are that interested in  playing along with an acoustic set up? These amps are for loud stage use, they make plenty of smaller, and probably quieter amps and combos for when a lighter touch is required, no?

 

There are people who do both loud stage and acoustic setups, and I have heard that there are people that only have one amp, seems not so useful if they have to buy another amp just for the quieter use if it is avoidable. My TC450 I could use on stage and in my bedroom, I know that is different as it is a class D, but it would be good if the ABM600 was like that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

 

Presumably you changed the strings since though? :D

 

Yes! LOL

 

When the frets on the Precision wore down and I was tired of having them dressed I switched to GHS Brite Flats that are round wound but then ground flat. Solved the wear problem nicely. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

 

There are people who do both loud stage and acoustic setups, and I have heard that there are people that only have one amp, seems not so useful if they have to buy another amp just for the quieter use if it is avoidable. My TC450 I could use on stage and in my bedroom, I know that is different as it is a class D, but it would be good if the ABM600 was like that.

This.

 

Sometimes I'm playing with just a clarinet. Sometimes I'm playing with 25 brass and wind players and a drummer. At the same show.

 

I'm not taking 2 amps to a gig just to swap them between tunes. And to be frank, the ONLY noise that any modern amp makes should be the sound of the bass. Any other noise, particularly avoidable noise, is a poor design choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/10/2021 at 21:44, Daz39 said:

The volume on that one only goes to 5 to make sure you can almost hear him {Myung} on albums…

He's much louder on the last few albums. Almost up front in places. Ever since he got his Bongo he's been actually audible.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

Looks like a new (possibly higher power?) LB is coming along too.

 

245577864_10159448386825561_292188650593

Still 30W, and it has Two Notes tech built in so it can run headphones and/or DI without a speaker load and has cab/speaker SIM when used in that style.

I absolutely love this new design, I hope it filters through into the other products too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, eude said:

Still 30W, and it has Two Notes tech built in so it can run headphones and/or DI without a speaker load and has cab/speaker SIM when used in that style.

I absolutely love this new design, I hope it filters through into the other products too!

Sure a higher powered Little Bastard would be a Bastard?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...