Why become a member? ×

New Ashdown Guy Pratt amplifier on the way?

NJE

I follow Guy on social media and he has been dropping suggestions/hints that there is a Ashdown collaboration coming soon.

I was thinking a pedal or maybe even a bass, but someone recently asked if he was still using ABM heads and replied “watch this space”.

I need an amp but I think I might hold off just in case it’s something really interesting.

• Like 2

Just now, NJE said:

The Geezer is £1099 at PMT, the Shavo is on sale at £664, and the dual VU rackmount ABM 600 IV is £799.

No doubt they are worth it, but still a bit too much for my needs.

If it’s under a grand and 750/1000w I’m in bother.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Just for interest who is Guy Pratt?

Major session guy, plays with Pink Floyd, has played with Michael Jackson, Madonna, Roxy Music/Brian Ferry - he’s done loads.

Pretty much in the phone book under “first call” bass players like Pino Palladino, Leland Sklar and Nathan East (amongst others).

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Well. To update from the horses mouth - I think the one above is a John Myung signature amp.

Then there is still hope! I think there are a few artist preamps on the way as well. I really fancy going back to Ashdown.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Major session guy, plays with Pink Floyd, has played with Michael Jackson, Madonna, Roxy Music/Brian Ferry - he’s done loads.

Pretty much in the phone book under “first call” bass players like Pino Palladino, Leland Sklar and Nathan East (amongst others).

I saw an interview where he apparently said at his wedding that he was only there as Pino was busy. 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Thanks Andy for educating this GOF! :D

What road. replaced the old East Lancs road?

Edited by BassmanPaul

I wish Ashdown changed their fans. I love the sound of their amps but the fans are so annoying.

There are far quieter options and many manufacturers also have reactive units now so that at low volumes they don’t even turn on at all.

The only fan I’ve ever heard that was louder was on a Mesa Prodigy.

I’m looking into a new amp at the moment and I really want an ABM but the fan noise means they don’t even make the audition list.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I wish Ashdown changed their fans. I love the sound of their amps but the fans are so annoying.

There are far quieter options and many manufacturers also have reactive units now so that at low volumes they don’t even turn on at all.

The only fan I’ve ever heard that was louder was on a Mesa Prodigy.

I’m looking into a new amp at the moment and I really want an ABM but the fan noise means they don’t even make the audition list.

My MK500 is a bit fan happy - needs to go back to Ashdown for a service. 

It is booked in, just need a window of opportunity.

Yep all my Ashdown amps have fans which sound like jet engines taking off. My Glockenklang has a fan so quiet you have to put your ear right up to it to hear it, even after a 3 hour rehearsal. Should be something they can sort by choosing a better fan tbh.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Merton said:

Yep all my Ashdown amps have fans which sound like jet engines taking off. My Glockenklang has a fan so quiet you have to put your ear right up to it to hear it, even after a 3 hour rehearsal. Should be something they can sort by choosing a better fan tbh.

the minute they do that and get actually silent fans in will be the same minute I buy one.

I love the sound, but when I’m playing with woodwind instruments etc any noise like that kills the mood.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

The A580

Thank you. In 1968, when I bought my '63 Precision via Hessy's shop in Liverpool, no one stocked the long scale Rotosounds that I favoured. I had to get a friend drive me to Manchester to pick up a set. Later that year, whilst playing a gig, I met the girl who became my wife. :)

still have both the bass and the girl - we're at fifty two years now. :D 

• Like 2