Why become a member? ×

PJB Suitcase released the blue genie.

Maude

We had our first rehearsal since all this madness and my Suitcase has been in storage in my workshop, not heated but not damp either. Similar conditions to our basement rehearsal space that it's been in for years. 

I brought it indoors the day before to acclimatise but, stupidly, didn't check it. 

At rehearsal I plugged it in a switch on, it was ever so slightly crackly (no bass plugged in) then it made a faint squeezing noise which quickly faded. I switched off anyway but intrigue got the better of me and I switched it back on, where it released the blue genie. Copious amounts of smoke pouring out the ports. 

I've just pulled the back off and it appears that two large capacitors have blown but, visually, nothing else. I know sight isn't a good tester for electronics but it was just a quick look. 

I've don't know whether to source the two capacitors myself and fit them or find a local tech (not easy down here) and give it to them. If it's just the pair of capacitors I'm happy to fit them but I'm worried something else might have caused them to blow. 

I'm not convinced it was damp as my other three amps stored with it are fine. Who knows. 

gVYyhrR.jpg

a5BmYFl.jpg

Everything else visually appears to be fine but that smaller capacitor in the top right corner has something dark on the top, but doesn't look to have split open. I'll look closer later. 

HTHaFEG.jpg

Hope it won't be too expensive, and as with most things, it could be worse I suppose. 

• Sad 3

The 2 big caps will be the most expensive obviously, while you're in there - or your tech. if you find one - I'd say replace all the electrolytics, they won't cost a fortune.

You could do with checking all the diodes too.

No armchair diagnosis is going to be perfect, there's no substitute for a real life inspection/repair/test.

I'd have a word with PJB first though.

Cheerz, John

• Like 2

I think I'll take it to someone to fix. 

I'm a pretty hands on guy and can work on most stuff, but electrics are pure witchcraft as far as I'm concerned. 

If another component has caused the caps to blow then I'll just blow the replacement pair. 

I found a local retired audio electronics engineer via here a few years back who fixed an Ashdown amp for me. 

I'll see if he still dabbles. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

Selectron (UK) Limited look after PJB in the UK but I hope your not in a hurry. They’ve had my Bass Buddy in for repair since July and comms are very slow but that said Freda Jones at PJB has been extremely helpful.