Why become a member? ×

Compressor Pedal - Cheap or Not?

Linus27

47 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Dunno, but this was big news some years ago:  https://www.wired.com/2008/07/new-youtube-aud/

Great - thanks! It's good to have confirmation that it was a problem at one point. All I can find more recently is that they've been using loudness normalisation based on LUFS (like all the other streaming services) since around 2015, so videos may have their overall playback level statically adjusted to sound similarly loud, but there shouldn't be any alteration to the dynamic range of an individual video. Apparently peak limiting _is_ possible if you really push the boundaries, but I couldn't find any examples or anything to suggest this is something people run into under normal circumstances.

16 hours ago, MartinB said:

Great - thanks! It's good to have confirmation that it was a problem at one point. All I can find more recently is that they've been using loudness normalisation based on LUFS (like all the other streaming services) since around 2015, so videos may have their overall playback level statically adjusted to sound similarly loud, but there shouldn't be any alteration to the dynamic range of an individual video. Apparently peak limiting _is_ possible if you really push the boundaries, but I couldn't find any examples or anything to suggest this is something people run into under normal circumstances.

... I don't think the ins and out of YouTube compression has ever influenced my decision on a compressor pedal for my bass!

Edited by Boodang
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I have the Punch Factory Opto-Compressor which does a good job. Simple to use with only 2 knobs for Drive and Level. It has a row of led's to show how much you are compressing.

I've considered changing to something else like the EBS Comp and have read great things on TB about the Keeley comps but i'm looking for something simple to use and set up quickly.

I play quite aggressively depending on style of music i'm playing and what i've found with non tube amps is that when i change tone on a P bass from 100% to 50% my volume drops a touch. Its enough to be noticeable in a guitar, bass and drums band so i set the compressor up to limit the high volume when really digging in with the tone full up on the bass. When i dial the tone back the comp does less work but still there. I guess its more a volume limiter than anything else.

Dave

10 hours ago, peteb said:

If you want to keep it simple, does anyone know anything about the new Aguilar DB599 micro two knob compressor?? 

I did see a review on youtube that was more about differences between cheap (electro-harmonix), medium priced (Boss) and expensive (Cali76). The reviewer listed other compressors in similar price bracket that he also rated quite highly and the Aguilar was rated along with the Cali76 so i'm guessing it was pretty good. He didn't demonstrate each compressor as it was more about the difference between the price ranges.

Dave 

+1 for the TC Spectracomp for a simple to use (1 knob) pedal that gets the job done. Normally available for around £45-50 and also has many TonePrint options online if you fancy tinkering around. Also as mentioned before, the DB160 patch on the Zoom MS60B is a cracker but you'd probably want to fiddle about with the settings which leads to the normal problem of 'what sounds good at home doesn't sound that great at a gig'.

Got a Cali 76 Compact Bass at the start of my board. I love that it has 2 volume controls, 1 for your clean signal and 1 for the compressed signal, so you can blend in the two. 
Also has a high pass filter, so you can apply less compression to your lower frequencies, if needed. 

I'm a fan of trying sounds/gear out with cheaper pedals before you commit to something more pricey, that's what I've always done.
Worth a shot with one of the ones you've mentioned to see if compression is something that you need/want to use. Handy tool to have either way.
You mentioned playing a lot of laid back stuff, I've often heard bassists turning their compressors off for those kinds of songs, as they don't need the sustain etc and want the notes to decay naturally. Depends what works for you

What octave are you using may I ask? I've tried a few over the years, Octron, MXR bass octave.. All ended up being sold except the trusty OC2.

Edited by AinsleyWalker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Got a Cali 76 Compact Bass at the start of my board. I love that it has 2 volume controls, 1 for your clean signal and 1 for the compressed signal, so you can blend in the two. 
Also has a high pass filter, so you can apply less compression to your lower frequencies, if needed. 

I'm a fan of trying sounds/gear out with cheaper pedals before you commit to something more pricey, that's what I've always done.
Worth a shot with one of the ones you've mentioned to see if compression is something that you need/want to use. Handy tool to have either way.
You mentioned playing a lot of laid back stuff, I've often heard bassists turning their compressors off for those kinds of songs, as they don't need the sustain etc and want the notes to decay naturally. Depends what works for you

What octave are you using may I ask? I've tried a few over the years, Octron, MXR bass octave.. All ended up being sold except the trusty OC2.

The Cali 76 Compact Bass compressor is probably top of my list right now.

I'm really new to using pedals so I gave the Behringer Octaver a go for the exact reason you mention about giving cheap pedals a go to see if it works. Its actually really good and has now become a regular part of my sound for a lot of songs. So when they become available again, I'm going to get the Boss OC-5. If for any reason I cant get one then I'll probably give the EBS one a go as this gets great reviews as well.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Linus27 said:

The Cali 76 Compact Bass compressor is probably top of my list right now.

I'm really new to using pedals so I gave the Behringer Octaver a go for the exact reason you mention about giving cheap pedals a go to see if it works. Its actually really good and has now become a regular part of my sound for a lot of songs. So when they become available again, I'm going to get the Boss OC-5. If for any reason I cant get one then I'll probably give the EBS one a go as this gets great reviews as well.

It's a great compressor. Been on my board for almost 3 years now and can't see it leaving any time soon!

Oh perhaps I misread your post, I thought you said octave was the one (out of octave, reverb, chorus) you weren't enjoying as much. 
The OC5 looks great from demoes, yet to try one myself though. Would also recommend checking the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, they're often available for sale <£90 here/Facebook marketplace etc. They're a really great all-round octaver, compared to the Boss ones which have their own distinct character (which I love personally). 

9 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

It's a great compressor. Been on my board for almost 3 years now and can't see it leaving any time soon!

Oh perhaps I misread your post, I thought you said octave was the one (out of octave, reverb, chorus) you weren't enjoying as much. 
The OC5 looks great from demoes, yet to try one myself though. Would also recommend checking the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, they're often available for sale <£90 here/Facebook marketplace etc. They're a really great all-round octaver, compared to the Boss ones which have their own distinct character (which I love personally). 

No you are right about the Octave pedal but since I started this thread, I've managed to get the Octaver to work brilliantly and understand how to make it effective in the right way with what I am playing. Its now a major part of my sound where as the Chorus which I thought would be the main pedal I use on the fretless has taken a back seat.

Thank you for the heads up on the MXR Bass Octave pedal, I will certainly check it out as well as the Cali76 Compressor. 

• Like 1