Why become a member? ×

What? Why ? Nooooooo!

Dom in Dorset

22 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Too much time on their hands and access to a drill?

Drill? My first thought was pick axe.

20 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Maybe it was "customised" for some bizarre quiz show - "Now it's time for the 'Tune this bass in less than 30 seconds' round".

"Didn't they do well???" 
Hmm No.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dom in Dorset said:

I wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move if it's wrong:
Spotted on Facebook:
bimage.thumb.png.08dce52dd9603d27259f44a7ec2c103f.png
I laughed , I winced, I thought "why?"
Other than "I couldn't afford a Stingray so I made one"  I am at a loss to explain why anyone would do this.
Any ideas?

It's so 'wrong': could I suggest it is moved to the nearest skip or seeing as its 'that time of year', the nearest bonfire?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

That looks like it would have started life as a Tiesco, with smaller tuning heads. The new ones have been 'carefully' placed to avoid obstructing each other's rotation.

I couldn't post the image, bu there are pics of a similar headstock here: http://www.greatvintageitems.com/product/teisco-top-twenty-bass-guitar/

EDIT- here's one which will save and post!

1960s-Rare-Vintage-TOP-TWENTY-TEISCO-BASS-GuitarShort.jpg.463c9b0957a93ae1754651ecbb10a580.jpg
I suspect the same person put the strings on this bass.

Looks like maybe took a mighty clunk on the E tuner which broke out and cracked the headstock across so they used some cheapo tuners with a bigger footprint to strap the 'glued' crack to stop it breaking completely; not our instrument so don't get upset, if it is still playable then all is good

41 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

Looks like maybe took a mighty clunk on the E tuner which broke out and cracked the headstock across so they used some cheapo tuners with a bigger footprint to strap the 'glued' crack to stop it breaking completely; not our instrument so don't get upset, if it is still playable then all is good

Can't see any crack on the headstock.

What's more likely is that one of the old tuners failed and they were replaced with those F style ones, new holes had to be drilled as the much larger baseplate would hang over the edge of the headstock - you can see the corners slightly protruding in the pic.