Why become a member? ×

5 String Ibanez like kits: pitbullguitars guitarkitfabric kitbuiltguitars

DocTrucker

Hi all,

I've seen what looks like identical kits from tha above retailers (pitbull being Australian, the others UK) and I wondered who is the original manufacturer?

Interested in these as a project around new year.

I will now go away and do forum searches on the above names to see what mines of information can be found on them here.

Thanks!

Edited by DocTrucker
  • Like 1

Hi

I've assembled a Pitbull bass - a PB copy. As for as I am aware they source them from the Far East - Korea possibly? 

I found it to be reasonable quality, a chunky bit of ash in my case, and whilst I've only done one, others who do a few of them seem to reckon they are a cut (ha ha) above some of the others.

They aren't expensive though with shipping and import duties it does add up. 

I did try a quick scan of Aliexpress and Banggood. As far as I can see the kits from the UK sites are the same as the Pitbull ones.

If Pitbull was the original source I would have been tempted to order from them but the UK resellers save on import hastles and can take technical quiries, but that said I guess UK or Australia makes little difference on responding to emails!

Good to hear posative things about the kit though. Are the pickups reasonable or worth droppong in some Warman or Alan Entwistle pickups from the start?

54 minutes ago, DocTrucker said:

I did try a quick scan of Aliexpress and Banggood. As far as I can see the kits from the UK sites are the same as the Pitbull ones.

If Pitbull was the original source I would have been tempted to order from them but the UK resellers save on import hastles and can take technical quiries, but that said I guess UK or Australia makes little difference on responding to emails!

Good to hear posative things about the kit though. Are the pickups reasonable or worth droppong in some Warman or Alan Entwistle pickups from the start?

Being kind, the pickups are .... ok. But you're always going to get a better result with quality pickups. If I did another one then I'd not use the supplied hardware but put my own on. Which is fine if you can buy the kit without hardware, otherwise it's wasted. 

However if they are the same kit (I have no idea if they are) then yes, you may as well order from the UK.  Though the aftersales support from Pitbull is excellent with a thriving community. 

Great, thanks @StuartD
is that community on here or a forum from their website?

@Mottlefeeder
Good spot. I had spotted that the rear cover is not the same. Bad phrasing on my behalf. Different iterations of the same kit rather than identical. I've found somene showng pictures of a kit from Guitar Fabric with the same rear cover from the pitbull.

Edited by DocTrucker

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

I did the PitBull IB5 kit if it's of any help.  I have no experience of the others however.

Mine is here.

Great read that thanks. I was airing towards grain filling, maybe stain and lacquer. How has your finish aged?

If this build goes ahead the spec and build is something I enjoy. To date I've fingered alsorts of bass lines on my Squire Jazz, and rebuilt BC Rich. Recently took the opertunity to join an 'adult' group at my local music school and it has resparked my enjoyment, but equally showed my knowledge of scales is left wanting. This build is both for the pleasure of the build and as a consolation  for the hard slog needed to drop back to the begining of a learn bass book to slowly fill in my gaps!

2 hours ago, DocTrucker said:

Found the pitbull forum thanks.

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/

Next step for me is to find the VW/Skoda level manufacturer of hardware rather than the Bentley/Mclaren! 🙂

Try CH Guitars in sunny South Shields. Chris will be able to sort your hardware needs for sensible money https://chguitars.co.uk/

19 hours ago, DocTrucker said:

Great, thanks @StuartD
is that community on here or a forum from their website?

@Mottlefeeder
Good spot. I had spotted that the rear cover is not the same. Bad phrasing on my behalf. Different iterations of the same kit rather than identical. I've found somene showng pictures of a kit from Guitar Fabric with the same rear cover from the pitbull.

Yes, the Pitbull forum community is very good and very helpful.

I've found a few more companies supplying the kit (or variations thereof - reverb and fretwire) and the original manufacturer's website. Minimum order of 10 units, so not a route to a cheaper unit but nice to see the full catalogue!

I had spotted a pre built one that had been left in natural finish on ebay, but the seller had treated the wood with petroleum jelly. As one of the UK suppliers offer the kit for ~£115 I decided £75 was my limit for something that wanted stripping and a lot of work before I could lacquer, which is also a lot of work! As you may have guess I missed it, it went for 76, implying someone had put in a bid higher still than that.

I'll browse the whole catalogue and see if these UK suppliers are willing to add a specific model to their next order when I'm ready to go - or just go with the same one discussed on this thread.

http://www.byguitars.com/

Edited by DocTrucker