Why become a member? ×

Name wanted for an 80s tribute band.

funkgod

On 16/10/2021 at 09:26, Richard R said:

@funkgod lots of good, and terrible, suggestions above. Have you picked a winner yet? 

Indeed loads of great names and most of them very valid bassfinger has gone taters deep with this one so many cheers.

maggie thatcher milk snatcher, love that...  i remember her stopping milk to primary schools, it was always warm anyway, UUUGGGHH.

Thinking back to the 80s it was actually a pritty bleak time miners strike, maggie, Falklands, cruse, unemployment, strikes, the change of NHS, loads of reasons as all decades have i suppose, but then to make it more bleak we had the reminders of it all by great poets and tv series like john cooper clark and boys from the black stuff, bread and little gems like one summer, i think for the younger generation kids leaving school in the 80s, me being one of them in 82, music was a way to get away from it all, or even confront it all.

i am sure there is a great theater show in there somewhere waiting to be done and it would be huge, as its a decade we can all relate too, i would go and watch that. the music in the 80 was pretty special too, growing up with it, it seemed to be "ours" a lot of people diss 80s music but a lot of advancements were made in the 80s for pros and us young people that wanted to get into music, the porter studio, how many bands were signed up based on them demo tapes, record company's could hear the potential of the songs/bands just on them raw demos, i always thought tony wilson was great, i think the 80s sound was a british thing, to me then it seemed the usa was mainly hair rock bands with the exception of a few like debbie harry, talking heads and so on, but to me the 80s sound was british, looking at the set list the iconic 80s songs were mainly british, prob because we associate iconic with the most played and we are all listening to british radio, and radio was changing, i use to think that it was all "designed" the gov wanting to get rid of the anarchy of punk in the 70s as it was for them disruptive and wean us all on to something not so threatening, again its how we were thinking at the time,  🙂 so a lot of argument there, ... sorry all just thinking out loud, just my thoughts on it all.

A Name ? right i think the rewind is winning at the mo " The Rewind, 80s tribute show" if we add the end bit we might get away with that, we will see, will keep you all posted but the band is sounding great, a lot of effort has been put in, for eg drums, are all triggered to get them 80s sounds, one of the biggest things when looking at an 80s band for me is the drums, they were so varied between songs and to have one kit trying to capture all them sounds which adds allot of dynamics to the songs seems a bit one dimensional, (this is just my thought ) to have them massive drums in say "New sensation" make a massive difference, so we have gone to great lengths to get them sounds, we will see.

Thanks so much to everyone with your ideas keep them coming if yall want the more the better im sure 80s bands in the future will all be looking through the names 🙂 cheers once again

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

ngl, def still v pleased with it :D

The image it conjures immediately transported me back to teen years, waiting to hear something I liked on radio 1 and leaping for the play and record buttons on the cassette deck of our music centre.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SICbass said:

The image it conjures immediately transported me back to teen years, waiting to hear something I liked on radio 1 and leaping for the play and record buttons on the cassette deck of our music centre.

There are some songs that, when I call them to mind, the rubbish being spouted by the DJ over the intro on my Taped From The Radio recording is part of the memory o.O

21 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

There are some songs that, when I call them to mind, the rubbish being spouted by the DJ over the intro on my Taped From The Radio recording is part of the memory o.O

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. Or waiting for as long as possible to catch the end of a tune but without recording the DJ blabbing at the end (over a cool guitar solo or bass fill(.

• Like 1