Why become a member? ×

blah blah blah

Munurmunuh

I'm fine with 1⅝", and find 1¾"....  

17 members have voted

1. 1. I'm fine with 1⅝", and find 1¾"....

• yeah, no problem
    • doable
    • irritating
    • something to avoid
    • welp

7 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Why the incessant compulsion to micturate on what other people choose to discuss? 

You will not have noticed my lack of attendance of late on this forum. Attitudes of the sort are the reason. I'll get back under my rock. I still moderate, but my modest contributions are apparently not appreciated. Never mind; I've other hobbies. Carry on... :|

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Does an 1/8th really make a bass unplayable..?

I'd be fair of my face... But a bit of speed would see me right. 😉

But nuts i do in metric...

I think it can matter and combinations can matter more.

Small/Big Hands, Long Thin/Short Fat Fingers, Narrow/Wide, Thin/Thick, Radius, Scale Length, How Low or High you where ya bass, especialy if ya get cramps, arthritic, brokem wrist from a bike prang... can all make a differeance to enjoyment of the experiance.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

my modest contributions

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen you speaking scornfully or dismissively about what people choose to find interesting or enjoyable. I appreciate that forums are generally populated by men beyond our first wave of youthful enthusiasm, but seeing regal disdain for choices of topics of discussion from a mod has been a first for me. 

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Why so touchy..? It's a genuine question; do folks really find this level of detail that important..?o.O OK, I play drums, but I've several basses and guitars; not once have I considered the nut width, even less measuring it. I'm pretty sure that they're all different, though. Does an 1/8th really make a bass unplayable..? Maybe; what would I know..? No need to go off in a huff, though, no kittens have been hurt. :friends:

Well, there are drummers who are picky about as little as 0.01cm in stick thickness, so yeah I think nut width can be an important consideration.

15 hours ago, mep said:

I prefer decimal inches.

1 5/8" = 1.625"

1 3/4" = 1.75"

Simple.

Is this British Imperialistic Running-dog inches, or American Capitalist Lackey inches?

Please re-pose the question, using units which are in use in 98% of the countries in the United Nations.

17 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Man, I remember that one. Very surreal. Almost performance art territory. From the RS magazine:

"I had no idea he was doing that," Lee later told Rolling Stone. "Let me go on the record to say he didn't tell us he was doing that. In fact, I know he had a whole other speech planned. Neil [Peart, drums] and I thought he had lost his marbles when he was talking. You can see the look on our faces behind him going, 'What the flip is he doing?' And of course, we couldn't see him act it all out. We just kept hearing, 'blah blah blah blah blah.'"

He continued: "I don't know what his pure intent was, but I think it was more a knock on speeches, the whole process of the Hall Of Fame induction thing.

Lee added: "He's a mental case. And he's genuinely one of the funniest people you would ever meet in your life. But I wanted to kill him at the three-minute mark. Neil and I were threatening to knock him on the head and drag him offstage."

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

Is this British Imperialistic Running-dog inches, or American Capitalist Lackey inches?

Please re-pose the question, using units which are in use in 98% of the countries in the United Nations.

I first came across decimal inches when working with some Americans, and it's quite widely used over there.

I definitely think it's a good topic as the relationship between the dimensions of the neck on a bass or guitar and the shape and size of your hands is what makes a bass a keeper or not most of the time.

And I do think that some people come on and dismiss other people's posts on here as 'done to death', 'old news' and so on. I think if that's the way the Basschat goes the forum will loose all the sound heads and end up like all the other forums, full of snarky folks throwing their weight around. That's why this forum is literally the only one I have joined. Jazzguitar.be is seems very civil too...

I have 100% held back on making posts on here because of the tendency highlighted above and would say that yes we can think what we want about posts being boring, done before or irrelevant but to take the time to make a post pointing that out is just heading the wrong way. Everyone's free to post a snarky remark, to get snarky about someone making a snarky remark about your snarky remark is both ironic and unaware.

I'll get my coat...