Why become a member? ×

Sourcing sheet music for contemporary music

Jolltax

I am a beginner and trying to wean myself off TAB and use 'proper' music notation.  Based on my teachers recommendation I have been working my way through the Hal Leonard Bass Method which I have found useful (especially the accompanied pieces).  My sight reading is making decent progress.

I mainly like contemporary music (soul, rock, some blues). When I practice after working on my latest page of Hal Leonard I like to chill out by trying to play along with my favourites on Youtube (e.g. currently trying to learn 'Its my life' by Talk Talk which so far I can only play at 75% speed and 'Aint no love in the Heart of the City' Black Pumas version 🙃).  The issue is that its amazing how many songs I can find in TAB format but I am finding it challenging trying to find contemporary stuff in sheet music format.  I don't necessarily expect it to be free, and don't mind paying for it.

I wonder if there is a music publisher online selling sheet music for stuff like this?

My question is Could anyone recommend a good source of sheet music or good compilation books for Bass beginners who want to play contemporary music?

J

50 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Have you looked through here, Chris has some excellent music 🙂

Wow, I completely missed those, thank you - its a lot to go through, fantastic. I will make a donation

Is there an easy way to download them ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jolltax said:

I am a beginner and trying to wean myself off TAB and use 'proper' music notation.  Based on my teachers recommendation I have been working my way through the Hal Leonard Bass Method which I have found useful (especially the accompanied pieces).  My sight reading is making decent progress.

I mainly like contemporary music (soul, rock, some blues). When I practice after working on my latest page of Hal Leonard I like to chill out by trying to play along with my favourites on Youtube (e.g. currently trying to learn 'Its my life' by Talk Talk which so far I can only play at 75% speed and 'Aint no love in the Heart of the City' Black Pumas version 🙃).  The issue is that its amazing how many songs I can find in TAB format but I am finding it challenging trying to find contemporary stuff in sheet music format.  I don't necessarily expect it to be free, and don't mind paying for it.

I wonder if there is a music publisher online selling sheet music for stuff like this?

My question is Could anyone recommend a good source of sheet music or good compilation books for Bass beginners who want to play contemporary music?

J

Much as I hate being self-serving... my website exists for this very purpose:

https://freebasstranscriptions.com/transcriptions/

I struggled to find suitable songs to teach to younger students without resorting to TAB, so I started writing things out for them.

There's very little in the way of books for sale in notation only-format, because it massively reduces the commercial appeal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1