Why become a member? ×

tell me about fret erasers

2020Jazz

I use neoprene polish pads, and always build up. I start at 1800 (but only use it very lightly because I don't want to sand down my frets, just polish them) and build up to 12000. Fairly pleased with the results I get :)

Those rubber polish pads look great too, I'm thinking of ordering a set of those as well because I'd like something a bit more rigid than the pads I'm using now.

This was my Warwick Streamer LX when I received it and after cleaning, polishing and oiling up the wenge board.

1299902161_Toetsvoorenna.thumb.jpg.e056012cbfe7e7c48a83d24d568760e7.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 5

I use fret erasers just about every day of the week and wouldn't want to be without them. I don't use them in isolation though, first off will be an emery board, then sandpaper: 240, 320, 400, 600 and 800. Then the fret erasers: coarse, medium, fine and super fine. Then metal polish and a buff up. Job done.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

@LeftyJ the top photo looks scarily dirty - second photo shows what a lovely piece of timber was under the grime.

Good work.

Yes, it needed quite a bit of TLC. It's a 2001 Warwick Streamer LX that has been played a LOT but has been poorly maintained. It needed a new neck pickup, a VERY thorough cleansing and the very dry wenge begged for a bit of lemon oil. Yes, it begged for it. I'm talking to you, @Killed_by_Death:lol: 

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/10/2021 at 18:04, gary mac said:

I use fret erasers just about every day of the week and wouldn't want to be without them. I don't use them in isolation though, first off will be an emery board, then sandpaper: 240, 320, 400, 600 and 800. Then the fret erasers: coarse, medium, fine and super fine. Then metal polish and a buff up. Job done.

Wow that sounds like a lot of work. Why do you clean your frets so often? Or do you just have a lot of basses?

I've cleaned many a fret and fretboard and find using 00 grade steel wool works wonders for both.

Here's one I did recently(before applying the finishing touch of lemon oil)

20211017_122358.jpg

20211017_122414.jpg

20211017_133337.jpg

20211017_133347.jpg

Edited by dyerseve
  • Like 2

My Warwick looked exactly like yours started 

I just used bras so and they came up beautifully - I bought it for a song on eBay as idiot timed The sale for 5:20pm when everyone used to be stuck in their cars 

Edit - this was 2010, and I jumped up from my waiting position on the vasectomy operating table to fire in the winning bid with 2s left to go ..

seller most impressed at my urge to win - bought 290£ sold £405 after a quick cleanup and new jack socket 

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, dyerseve said:

Wow that sounds like a lot of work. Why do you clean your frets so often? Or do you just have a lot of basses?

I've cleaned many a fret and fretboard and find using 00 grade steel wool works wonders for both.

Here's one I did recently(before applying the finishing touch of lemon oil)

20211017_122358.jpg

20211017_122414.jpg

20211017_133337.jpg

20211017_133347.jpg

My customer's frets and mine occasionally.:drinks:

11 hours ago, Acebassmusic said:

I never thought of using underwear to maintain my bass. Might just try it next time 🤣🤣

Hehehe. But on a related matter, I find that old t-shirts easily make the best everyday cloth for wiping down basses or removing excess oil/polish/wax/etc

• Like 1

Going back to the OP though, I've bought plenty of unloved basses over the years, which I've renovated (and rewired if necessary), levelled, cleaned and polished/oiled/waxed. For me, unless the frets are really in a bad state with very noticeable string grooves - in which case the neck usually needs refretting anyhow - I've found that the following combination is almost always sufficient to get the frets back to A1 condition: medium grit fret rubber, fine grit fret rubber, 0000 steel wool, and a Dremel with a buffing wheel, plus just a tiny dab of polishing compound.

I also avoid having to mask up the fingerboard as much as possible: I find that so long as I'm careful with the rubbers/steel wool/buffer, I don't damage or soil the fingerboard. And as a last step, I clean both the fingerboard and the frets with mineral oil after I'm done - this will get rid of any fine debris that may have been left by the fret work.

(On the subject of mineral oil: I long ago switched out of lemon oil and into a light, food-grade mineral oil. It's a highly-refined short-chain-molecule oil which a) works at least as well as lemon oil, and b) costs a phenomenal amount less on a volume-volume basis)

10 hours ago, John0104 said:

(On the subject of mineral oil: I long ago switched out of lemon oil and into a light, food-grade mineral oil. It's a highly-refined short-chain-molecule oil which a) works at least as well as lemon oil, and b) costs a phenomenal amount less on a volume-volume basis)

This is a much cheaper way to buy lemon oil if you use quite a lot. 

Parker & Bailey Lemon Oil, Yellow https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007HWRG2O/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_QDMAZ0NRRXZVEGR14WB6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/10/2021 at 07:36, Maude said:

This is a much cheaper way to buy lemon oil if you use quite a lot. 

Parker & Bailey Lemon Oil, Yellow https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007HWRG2O/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_QDMAZ0NRRXZVEGR14WB6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This! I've had a bottle for at least 5 years and it's not even half empty after about 30 fretboard and one very very thirsty large oak coffee table.