Why become a member? ×

OMG...Stu Zender could play...

TheGreek

Quite a phenomenon back in '93, I went to the 1st Phoenix Festival and Jamiroquai were in the Jazz tent.

There was a big crowd all trying to get into this marquee so we didn't get to see Jamiroquai, just sat outside and listened 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jay Kay story. My ex Bro-in-law was part of the catering team at the Brit Awards one year. They were finished and started clearing up and Jay Kay was the only 'star' to come by and thank them for the spread. Not saying he's brilliant or owt, just saying what I heard.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, super al said:

Quite a phenomenon back in '93, I went to the 1st Phoenix Festival and Jamiroquai were in the Jazz tent.

There was a big crowd all trying to get into this marquee so we didn't get to see Jamiroquai, just sat outside and listened 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jay Kay story. My ex Bro-in-law was part of the catering team at the Brit Awards one year. They were finished and started clearing up and Jay Kay was the only 'star' to come by and thank them for the spread. Not saying he's brilliant or owt, just saying what I heard.

I am glad to hear there is balance in the world!

• Like 1

Such excellent musicianship songs and Jamiroqai were in many ways a mainstream band who were popular and in the charts. I'm not saying there's no decent new music out there any more but what is today's equivalent of Jamiroqai? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, super al said:

I’ve read a few similar things like that, seems like he’s a pretty decent guy to the “ordinary” people. 

I saw Jamiroquai a few times at Glastonbury in the early 90s.

They were one of those bands who's albums I was never massively into but who's live show was just on another level. 

Every memeber of that line up was top notch even the didgeridoo player, with Zender's basslines being the engine that drove the whole performance along

I saw them in the Mayfair in Newcastle around 94 - just as the second album Space Cowboy had been released and Derrick had joined on drums.  The rest of the lineup looks the same.  I then saw them a year or so later at Newcastle arena after the Travelling Without Moving album was released.

The Mayfair gig was much more intimate and my preferred one.  I remember being lifted off my feet by the crowd when they played Kids.  I just loved Zender's playing.  Jamiroquai have had some amazing bass players since, but were never the same for me after he left.   I remember loving Deeper Underground which I understand was the last track he was recorded on (although they may have overdubbed him).  The accompanying album just wasn't the same IMHO, no disrespect intended to Nick Ffyfe.

They didn't come out of nowhere. They are standing on the shoulders of 40 years of Funk, Disco, R&B and Soul bands going back to the 60's.

That's not a bad thing. I rate this band and the players. JK is pretty irritating, but he's a singer so I guess that's to be expected.

• Haha 3

Jammyryqui jimmyrockway Jay Kay's band were never really on my radar, so don't really have anything to contribute, other than to say...

3 or 4 years ago I was invited to Warwick's Bass Camp, as was Stuart Zender. I think it's fair to say that he still hadn't forgiven Jay Kay for his treatment of him😠.

Oh, and he missed the artists bus from Warwick (Markneukirchen) to Frankfurt airport which made for much gossip, bewilderment and amusement to all those on board.

Edit: I should add that he seemed like a thoroughly decent chap🙂

Edited by SteveK

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

As great as Jamiroquai are, for me at least, they have never been the same since the departure of Smith (RIP :(and Zender. 

This tbh. I was a massive fanboy of Zender when I started learning bass at 14 (95). Even drew a little jamiroquai man on my encore bass. My first band at 16-19 were definitely this kind of acid jazz/funk vibe too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

As great as Jamiroquai are, for me at least, they have never been the same since the departure of Smith (RIP :(and Zender. 

Loved them Zender-era. I tried to get tickets to see them on what turned out to be the last tour SZ played on, but the only ones left were restricted view, so I passed, thinking I’d see them next time. 🤦‍♂️

I did see eventually see them with Nick Fyffe but it wasn’t the same, no disrespect to Nick, who is a great player. The whole band vibe had changed. 

8 hours ago, 4000 said:

I did see eventually see them with Nick Fyffe but it wasn’t the same, no disrespect to Nick, who is a great player. The whole band vibe had changed. 

Apparently Nick Fyffe was joining a Jamiroquai tribute band when he got the shout to join the real band so he must have been able to handle Zenders bass parts to a decent enough standard.

4 hours ago, ubit said:

Apparently Nick Fyffe was joining a Jamiroquai tribute band when he got the shout to join the real band so he must have been able to handle Zenders bass parts to a decent enough standard.

Oh he played the parts fine, but his sound and feel were a little different IMO and the band just wasn’t the same.