Why become a member? ×

Alexander Technique

OK, picking up on a previous thread about back ache etc.

I've suffered almost continuous pain in my left shoulder and neck for the last 7 years, mainly due to posture but definitely aggravated by gigging. Bi-monthly or more frequent chiropractor sessions (at 32 quid a pop...) have only provided temporary relief. I last went 12 days ago and was in discomfort again within 24 hours...

The thread started by Tom1946 contained a reference from Old Git to the Alexander Technique, so I decided to do a bit of internet research. I found a local 'teacher', called her up for a quick chat then decided to bite the bullet and make an appointment for yesterday morning.

Well, I can't believe how something as simple as lying on the floor for 20 minutes in the 'semi-supine' position can make such a huge improvement! I spent the rest of the day pain-free with more freedom of movement. I woke up this morning feeling completely un-knotted too. Based on initial results and from a personal stand point I can't recommend this highly enough.

The results you gain are purely from your own efforts though and it's easy to slip back into old habits. It's a simple technique but you have to practice every day and continuously assess your posture and how you stand, sit, get out of chairs etc.

But by applying the technique to your everyday life you actually mend yourself by improving your posture. Put simply the goal is to regain the posture and freedom of movement we all enjoyed as infants (hey, another excuse to regress into childhood!!).

From a financial point of view it's cheaper than going to a chiropractor too! I found a local teacher from STATs website, they're the official UK body for teachers of the technique.

Big thanks to Old Git for this lead!

David

You are welcome. I'm glad you had such a good result.

I think the difference between Alexander Technique and chiropractic is one is a preventive, educational thing and the other is for fixing problems.
I am also a fan of chiropractic once things are broken :) AT helps you stay in shape though.

Alexander Technique has been used for performers since its inception in about 1900 so as musicians it's right up our street.

[quote name='josh3184' post='452196' date='Apr 2 2009, 10:26 AM']glad it worked out for you, I'm going to need this sort of thing in the future for sure due to the weightiness of all basses I use :)[/quote]

Start now and prevent the problems rather than fix them later?

[quote name='geilerbass' post='452213' date='Apr 2 2009, 10:41 AM']This is something I've been meaning to try out for some time. Based on your positive review, I will seek out an AT teacher without delay. Fingers crossed that it helps out![/quote]

As I mentioned in the other thread for us heavy slab operatives, my friend the AT teacher recommends the ITM approach to AT if you can find one near you.
List here:
[url="http://www.alexandertechnique-itm.org/itm-teachers/teachers/teachers-uk.html"]http://www.alexandertechnique-itm.org/itm-...eachers-uk.html[/url]

Absolutely agree with OG - it's more a preventative technique to use on an ongoing basis but it can have an immediate impact, as in my case. I couldn't find an ITM teacher close enough to me so that's why I went with one from the STAT website.

If you have a mechanical problem with your back get your chiro to straighten you out and then work on the AT. My hope is that AT will, once mastered, cut my chiro bills to zero! I think the biggest challenge will be applying AT to a gig situation.

Any of you with very young children should take note of how they get down to ground level to pick things up, to play etc. and just how freely they move. It's all down to a complete lack of muscle tension in the main due to their correct posture.

That's the ultimate goal of AT - how far you get towards it is up to you. Hope I don't get too good at it - might start p***ing in my pants again and eating messily!! :)

Mrs Clarky had a back problem caused by curvature of the spine (scoliosis) a few years ago. After a year of AT (and the associated re-education of posture, sitting, standing up etc) she was straight as a die and has had no problems ever since. So +1 from the Clarky household too

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='452239' date='Apr 2 2009, 11:04 AM']That's the ultimate goal of AT - how far you get towards it is up to you. Hope I don't get too good at it - might start p***ing in my pants again and eating messily!! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I plan to do that when I'm a little older :)

Currently my osteopath bill comes in at £36 every 3 or 4 months.

I'm a degenerating fat git, I certainly am not getting any thinner.

Maybe this would help me stop my back locking up (just above the shoulder blades)?

I should also add that I slouch like a bean bag whatever I sit on, and spend all day in front of a computer.

Mr Fitty the fitness dude I am not :)

When you get to your 40's your body changes for the worst unfortunately imho.
However,isn't it amazing how tense our bodies are /have been over the years without realising..

When I was seeing a fitness trainer on a weekly basis ,she was showing me more yoga/pilates movements.
She obviously mentioned the AT to me as well.
Believe it or not ,altho' I'm only 6ft tall I had /have a tendancy to lower my head when talking to 'smaller' people.
When I tell people I'm only 6ft some of them look in disbelief due to my large build/frame.

Of course ,having a heavy bass on your shoulders isn't always good.
The Billy Sheehan method of having your bass the same height sitting down and standing up is essential for good posture.
The Hookie method ,altho' it looks good is actually bad.(not good for bald people either) :)

I also recommend pilates/yoga as well.(Not enough hours in the day to do it all ).

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='453645' date='Apr 3 2009, 08:15 PM']I also recommend pilates/yoga as well.[/quote]

+1.

i started a post-grad AT course, but TBH, i just couldn't get on with it.

.....but like any therapy/treatment, if it works for you, great.

• 3 years later...

Thread resurrection!
Anybody else had luck with this? i get enough twinges all over me these days that I think it's time to start doing something to prevent me doing any permanent damage.
Shoulders this week (got a bit better last night after doing the 20 minute lie-down thing, but right back when I woke up, boo..)
any positive experiences?
Self teaching?

I`ve recently been seeing a physio, due to a bad shoulder, and she said much of the problem was posture. Whilst I had a bad injury, and will always have a weakness there, my posture meant I was dragging on the muscle all the time, so making it worse. She gave me some exercises to do which have improved it no end. I still stoop every now an then, but most of the time remember to stand/sit/walk "tall". And it has really improved things no end.

There's physios and physios. I would only recommend going to one who was a sports physio and who was recommended in turn. IME a rugby physio has seen just about every injury going - and many of the big rugby teams - and football for that matter - now have open clinics for the public to attend.

Eg. due to an old sporting physio I once had a tilted pelvis making one leg about a half-inch shorter than the other - causing lower back pain. A bog standard physio wanted to put a foam wedge in my shoe while charging £30 for her advice. A few pops, grunts & clicks off a rugby physio fixed the pelvis. As he said "you treat the cause, not the symptoms".

Though I'm always open to new suggestions so as or when I next need one I may well investigate the Alexander Tech.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1344944019' post='1771384']... due to an old sporting physio I once had a tilted pelvis ....
[/quote]
Please tell me there was a typo in that sentence, because I'm getting wierd images of the night you and the physio had an exciting and memorable time together :D

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1344953614' post='1771575']
Please tell me there was a typo in that sentence, because I'm getting wierd images of the night you and the physio had an exciting and memorable time together :D
[/quote]

Damn, damn, yes it was a typo - though it did bring back many :blink: memories of his assistant "Emma", who was "endowed" in a wonderfully feminine way.