Why become a member? ×

70's Punk - whats the ideal bass ?

dmccombe7

26 minutes ago, 4000 said:

That Thumb…❤️

The wee tiny one or the full size one ?

Full size one i bought in 89 the year it was made. EMG's but the EMG pre-amp failed few yrs back and Warwick could only supply the MEC one. Fitted by McIntyre Guitars in Edinburgh.

Been gigged about 2-3 times in its life back in early 90's and then i retired from bands due to work commitments.

It was my only bass up till 2010.

She is lovely tho.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I started playing during the early (76-77) punk years. Me and my mate, a guitarist, managed to buy a twin neck SG style, half bass and half six string guitar of 'unknown' brand. We ended up sawing it down the middle, bodging the wiring, had half each and started some sort of band - punk as f@*k if you ask me!!! We did a great New Rose and the Ramones I Don't Care I seem to remember

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

The wee tiny one or the full size one ?

Full size one i bought in 89 the year it was made. EMG's but the EMG pre-amp failed few yrs back and Warwick could only supply the MEC one. Fitted by McIntyre Guitars in Edinburgh.

Been gigged about 2-3 times in its life back in early 90's and then i retired from bands due to work commitments.

It was my only bass up till 2010.

She is lovely tho.

Dave

Full size. I love the early Thumbs, although I struggle somewhat with the small body, which aggravates my nerve issues. 

26 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Full size. I love the early Thumbs, although I struggle somewhat with the small body, which aggravates my nerve issues. 

Quite a heavy bass too. I've found over the years that if you dont get the height right when wearing the bass the neck seems to go on forever 😂

Dave

1 hour ago, NAS Bass said:

Unless you are in the Pistols and called Glen!!

yes that occurred to me, but Steve Jones played bass on almost all the tracks on NMTB (except Anarchy I believe), presumable with a pick, and Sid definitely used a pick, not that that's a recommendation for pick players😂

16 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

yes that occurred to me, but Steve Jones played bass on almost all the tracks on NMTB (except Anarchy I believe), presumable with a pick, and Sid definitely used a pick, not that that's a recommendation for pick players😂

Well, that's how they eventually ended up. I suppose my point is that there is no 'correct' way to do punk (or any other type of music) but particularly punk. 

Pick/Precision - Sid, Dee Dee etc, Fingers/Jazz - Jon Watson 999, Pick/Jazz - Paul Slack Subs. They were all pretty punk! For me, punk is all about DIY, playing whatever you want with whatever you've got and at whatever venue you can

2 hours ago, NAS Bass said:

Unless you are in the Pistols and called Glen!!

28 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

It’s rather ironic but Glens finger style basslines are much more audible, and have better definition to them, on Spunk.

• Like 1

Altho i bought the P bass it was too short notice to my first gig in 18mths and first gig with this new band after learning songs in 3-4 weeks. I stuck with my old trusty Geddy Jazz and Mesa Mpulse and Subway 210/115 cabs. I thought it sounded pretty good from audience side but on stage was a bit boomy and for some reason i was hearing the low end drop out when digging in but the vid clips from phones it sounds fine with a nice warm low end. 

Not the best quality clip but the sound came thru ok with headphones.

• Like 1

Well a wee update from rehearsals today and general concensus from myself and band members is that the Jazz beat the Precision hands down. Both drummer and guitarist think the J had far more clarity altho the P had more depth..

They prefer the Jazz tone.

P bass relegated to back up bass tho but i guess i had to try it. 

I quite enjoyed playing it for a full 5 hrs rehearsal but when i switched to my very narrow slim Jazz it was like the sky opened up and sun came thru. It was far easier to play than the P but a P bass has its place and i'm gonna keep it.

I'd like to have been able to use the P for most songs and have the Jazz on a approx 10 songs out of the set but i dont want to be swapping basses between songs at a punk gig.

Now i'm wondering if the Ric bass might have been the better choice after all.

Mmmmmmm thinking ...........:tatice_03:

Dave

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Well a wee update from rehearsals today and general concensus from myself and band members is that the Jazz beat the Precision hands down. Both drummer and guitarist think the J had far more clarity altho the P had more depth..

I quite enjoyed playing it for a full 5 hrs rehearsal but when i switched to my very narrow slim Jazz it was like the sky opened up and sun came thru. It was far easier to play than the P but a P bass has its place and i'm gonna keep it.

I'd like to have been able to use the P for most songs and have the Jazz on a approx 10 songs out of the set but i dont want to be swapping basses between songs at a punk gig.

Dave

Don't listen to drummers......lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Variax.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm very biased as i love playing my Jazz and thru the Mesa rig at volume it just sounds so sweet to me. Gain is set to give me a slightly overdriven tone which brings with it a really nice Ric type edge when J tone full on.

I might try a Ric next time i'm in Glasgow just to see how it feels.

Lot of money even 2nd hand.

Someone mentioned a Variax before and if ever i could try one it might work but my J having a narrow and slim neck it just makes it very easy to play.

Dave

22 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just watched a great Youtube clip on the Variax 4 stringer. Loved the Hamer 12 string sound. The Fender and Ric sounds were pretty close too.

Might keep an eye open for one see what they sell for.

Dave.

The twelve string is great, although hasn't the playing dynamics of three courses of strings, but for just being able to 'switch' to a 12 string for a song brilliant. It doesn't do harmonics well at all though, it gets all glitchy as the wizardry tries to get the harmonic of two octaves higher. 

As everyone finds out when they inevitably try to play the intro to Pearl Jams Jeremy. 

I have a spare one I'm planning to put a fretless neck on as I think the upright bass and synths will be great fretless. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

Isn't a Variax the least punk bass possible 🙂

Which makes using it the most punk thing to do. 😉

But yes, I get your point. Although I have gigged punk(ish) songs with mine. Until I started using my 4005, my Variax was my main gigging bass in my Mod/Northern Soul/Ska band, the Clash covers of old Ska tunes was about as punk as it got though, London Calling was almost there and our version of Stepping Stone was more Sex Pistols than Monkees or Merton Parkas. 

Gratuitous pic, Variax and attitude. 

I was probably trying to remember how to start the next song in reality. 😁

xypDxyB.jpeg

• Like 2