Why become a member? ×

70's Punk - whats the ideal bass ?

dmccombe7

1 minute ago, i.clarke said:

You're quite right .. I use 45-90 strings also which helps somewhat. Although , on the odd occasion i'm using a bass with heavier strings you can tell a little more 'stiff' is probably required in the plectrum department ;)

I use a .66 Tortex even with my 5 string on .45 - .130 strings 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveXFR said:

I use a .66 Tortex even with my 5 string on .45 - .130 strings 

Always a Jim Dunlop .46 for me Especially if recording but for some reason there's always a Jim Dunlop .60 in my pocket also 'just in case' someone hands me something strung with ropes ;)

34 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I find it odd that the only bass specific picks I've seen are really thick and rigid but that's the opposite to what seems to work best

For you. 😉 I use very stiff, rigid picks and don’t like thin, flexible ones at all. I play very, very lightly and more like a guitarist. You have to find the picks that work for you, and to assume everyone will like the same picks makes no more sense than assuming everyone will like the same basses. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

.... when i first started back in 70's including my very firsy that came with my  columbas Jazz and its a very heavy solid tortosie shell one.

Columbus Jazz bass, there is a memory from my youth, along with Jedson tele bass and Woolworths Kay bass, my first bass (type thing) circa 1974?

• Haha 1

Just now, 3below said:

Columbus Jazz bass, there is a memory from my youth, along with Jedson tele bass and Woolworths Kay bass, my first bass (type thing) circa 1974?

Oh happy days. My mate still has my old Columbas Jazz. I had moved on and just left it with him. His daughter took up bass playing and he offered it back to me but said no just let the kids enjoy it.

With regards different types of pick i made some of my own. Flattened out one pence pieces and shaped by hammering on an anvil. I also covered one of them in denim to get a warmer tone like fingers. That worked until the denim started to wear thru. Still have them all. Also a 5mm thick felt one that never really worked. Have a few rubber types as well but not so good when playing on the strings as it tended to be a bit sticky. 

Dave

• Like 3

I’d advocate a white Precision with rounds and a pick a la Dee Dee and Simonon all day long, however don’t discount how good a maple necked ‘Ray can sound in this context, I give you the legendary live version of Waiting Room…

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Rich said:

For the punkier numbers in my ska band's set -- Rancid etc -- I get a great tone from the neck pickup on my Jazz-ish bass (it's a massively hot Schaller pickup, something like 13K..!), played with a pick and using a cranked SVT model on my Zoom multistomp. A really hard, aggressive tone with an edge of dirt. It's become my go-to tone for anything nasty.

What Zoom Multistomp are you using Rich and would you be prepared to share the settings?

2 hours ago, Rich said:

I'm using the MS60-B, I can't remember the precise patch settings so I'll have to drag my pedalboard out of the garage and find out :D 

Thank you 😉 

Well i finally made a decision and bought this from a fellow BC'er.

Quick strip down, clean and polish then refit with new D'addario nickels. Adjust string height down a bit to 1.75mm and tweaked the intonation on E string and its sounding absolutely amazing. No need to adjust the truss. I'd forgotten how much i liked a P bass tone. Its probably the tone i've been searching for.

image.thumb.png.9aee4a7e78ede093fb356c6f3e930288.png

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Wouldn't one have been enough?

P.S. is that the Warwick "Davis" signature bass?

Brilliant. Forgot i had put that up there to be honest but all basses are kept in my bass cave no matter what size they are. 

I'm just being very PC as you never know who might want to try your basses.

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Quick strip down, clean and polish then refit with new D'addario nickels. Adjust string height down a bit to 1.75mm and tweaked the intonation on E string and its sounding absolutely amazing. No need to adjust the truss. I'd forgotten how much i liked a P bass tone. Its probably the tone i've been searching for.

That’ll do the job nicely, congrats Dave

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the advice and helping me choose. At some point i might even buy a Ric just for the sake of having one again.

Got a Jazz and a Precision now so a Ric would make a great addition to old vintage style basses 😂

Of course my wife might have other ideas on that. 😂

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Nice one Dave. I saw that one advertised and thought it looked like a good bet. 👍

Its not the one advertised on BC but its exact same. Because i couldn't get to KeNt area to see the bass before buying it was a no go for me but another fellow BCer saw my comment and got in touch via PM's and he lives 45mins away from me so that was excellent. He said he would price match the one advertised on here. Now that i know how good these basses are i might look at a back up one.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That Thumb…❤️

• Haha 1