Why become a member? ×

New Zoom Multi FX: Zoom B6

rushbo

I should have my B6 coming today or tomorrow. There's a discussion over here about the B6 and Atomic BassBox:  

If you'd like to read my comments, I'll be posting over there for the time being, so I don't have to keep ping-ponging back and forth between threads.

I've got an open mind on this purchase. The limitation of 6 slots for effects/amps/cabs/etc may be a tight fit for some situations.

I may use my BassBox outboard of the B6 in some situations so that I can load the B6 up with effects only.

The BassBox would then provide the "always-on" amp/cab/eq/compression along with Boost if needed. 

Ideally, though, I'd like to be comfortable with the B6 for all occasions, so I'm hoping the new models and other improvements impress.

If so, it may spell the end of my B3n and/or G5n for live use. It's been quite a few years, so I'm ready for a change I think.

Some of the new features look tasty. I'll be trying out the Send/Return feature to see if I can create rigged-up parallel dry path to the effects path.

Even though it would eat up 2 slots, it would be great if it worked, to be able to have the ability to wet/dry mix between 4 other effects - mainly OD and compression.

Also will be experimenting with loops, to see if they can be saved via SD card and recalled on a patch-by-patch basis.

This would be a cool bonus feature, but I haven't seen anyone mention whether it can be done.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jimfist said:

Some of the new features look tasty. I'll be trying out the Send/Return feature to see if I can create rigged-up parallel dry path to the effects path.

Even though it would eat up 2 slots, it would be great if it worked, to be able to have the ability to wet/dry mix between 4 other effects - mainly OD and compression.

Also will be experimenting with loops, to see if they can be saved via SD card and recalled on a patch-by-patch basis.

This would be a cool bonus feature, but I haven't seen anyone mention whether it can be done.

The experiment with discrete Send and Return did work to create a pseudo-parallel path. Kind of funky getting it sorted.

But since so many of the effects include a mix or wet/dry blend feature, I found it to be unnecessary for most applications.

I did my experiment using the simulation of the dbx160 (160 comp) as the parallel-processed effect. Curiosity is satisfied, but I probably won't ever NEED TO use this method....which is a GOOD thing.

The Looper, like the rhythm section, is its own discrete area, and loops don't reside within a preset patch....so NO, you can't save pre-recorded loops and call them up at will using preset patch selection. Oh well. No biggie for me.

Well I've spent a few weeks researching all the various options. I've discovered that the stuff I need to know is often difficult to find.

Then after all that sensible, sober investigation, I had a rush of blood to the head and bought a B6. It arrives tomorrow.

I despair at my inability to hang onto my money. Ah well.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Well I've spent a few weeks researching all the various options. I've discovered that the stuff I need to know is often difficult to find.

Then after all that sensible, sober investigation, I had a rush of blood to the head and bought a B6. It arrives tomorrow.

I despair at my inability to hang onto my money. Ah well.

Feel free to fire away with any questions you have.

I gave the B6 a healthy workout last week, and my tests using it in conjunction with the Atomic BassBox over at the other thread are done now.

I'll be keeping the discussion here moving forward.

I will be selling my B3n now that I've got the B6 up to speed (but keeping my G5n for the time being).

• Like 1

Initial thoughts on the B6:

Firstly my fx background. Used Zoom and Boss multi effects since the 90s. Have pedals of all types and monetary value and have had Helix Stomp, HXFX, and Zooms; B1on, MS60B, B3, and B1-Four.

Caveat - only used through headphones for an hour and a half.

It's a thing of beauty. The pictures don't do it credit. While everyone else produces near identical machines, or apes the Line6 range, Zoom as ever, do their own thing. It's the stealth bomber of multi effects. With bright coloured lights. So not really that stealthy.

Touch screen. I've read sniffy reviews from folk who haven't tried it telling the world that the touch screen was rubbish. Seems to do everything I want it to, as and when I want. 🤷‍♂️

Ease of use. With all modern tech one expects a learning curve. I managed to scroll through various boards and patches, alter effect parameters, set up my own board, rename it and promptly save a different board over it by accident. All in about 20 minutes working from the pedal not the computer software.

Working from the pedal has to be easy for me because it's only in a band situation I really know how well I've programmed a patch. I don't have a computer at gigs and at present only IOS is supported via the optional Bluetooth. It is extremely simple to adjust. Really, really simple. And having real life, overall tone and volume knobs right there is just great.

Silent running? Well that depends. My upper frequency detection system has been lost or replaced with some tinnitus so I simply don't hear the highest noise.

I found it to be utterly silent. Unless I plumbed in a high gain distortion followed by a flanger and reverb - but then show me any set up with those pedals which is silent! And there's a noise gate if you want it anyway.

Why Zoom? Isn't it just a plastic toy compared with the real deal Line 6 stuff?

I didn't compare it with Line 6 to be fair. I chose it in preference to a variety of other multi effects because it has the effects I like and none of the others had all of them. It doesn't restrict me to one of each type of effect as some others do, it doesn't do parallel but the effects all seem to have mix options so that's fine, I know and like the brand. Oh and of four Line 6 products I've owned two have broken on me. None of my Zooms ever has.

Is it any good though? Yes. So far I'm very pleased. The synth sounds are ace, the envelope filter is ace, the drives are ace, the Trace Elliot amp sim is ace, the harmony pedal effect is ace, the pitch shift seemed less warbly than on the earlier Zooms but I didn't play with it for long. I see there's a setting for a whammy type shift which I will try with my expression pedal. It sounded pretty good as a standalone octave up.

What else does it do? It's an audio interface for my computer. It comes with free Cubase activation code.

More thorough review to follow when I've learned how not to lose the patches I create 🤦. Including side by side comparison with other pedals.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Initial thoughts on the B6:

Firstly my fx background. Used Zoom and Boss multi effects since the 90s. Have pedals of all types and monetary value and have had Helix Stomp, HXFX, and Zooms; B1on, MS60B, B3, and B1-Four.

Caveat - only used through headphones for an hour and a half.

It's a thing of beauty. The pictures don't do it credit. While everyone else produces near identical machines, or apes the Line6 range, Zoom as ever, do their own thing. It's the stealth bomber of multi effects. With bright coloured lights. So not really that stealthy.

Touch screen. I've read sniffy reviews from folk who haven't tried it telling the world that the touch screen was rubbish. Seems to do everything I want it to, as and when I want. 🤷‍♂️

Ease of use. With all modern tech one expects a learning curve. I managed to scroll through various boards and patches, alter effect parameters, set up my own board, rename it and promptly save a different board over it by accident. All in about 20 minutes working from the pedal not the computer software.

Working from the pedal has to be easy for me because it's only in a band situation I really know how well I've programmed a patch. I don't have a computer at gigs and at present only IOS is supported via the optional Bluetooth. It is extremely simple to adjust. Really, really simple. And having real life, overall tone and volume knobs right there is just great.

Silent running? Well that depends. My upper frequency detection system has been lost or replaced with some tinnitus so I simply don't hear the highest noise.

I found it to be utterly silent. Unless I plumbed in a high gain distortion followed by a flanger and reverb - but then show me any set up with those pedals which is silent! And there's a noise gate if you want it anyway.

Why Zoom? Isn't it just a plastic toy compared with the real deal Line 6 stuff?

I didn't compare it with Line 6 to be fair. I chose it in preference to a variety of other multi effects because it has the effects I like and none of the others had all of them. It doesn't restrict me to one of each type of effect as some others do, it doesn't do parallel but the effects all seem to have mix options so that's fine, I know and like the brand. Oh and of four Line 6 products I've owned two have broken on me. None of my Zooms ever has.

Is it any good though? Yes. So far I'm very pleased. The synth sounds are ace, the envelope filter is ace, the drives are ace, the Trace Elliot amp sim is ace, the harmony pedal effect is ace, the pitch shift seemed less warbly than on the earlier Zooms but I didn't play with it for long. I see there's a setting for a whammy type shift which I will try with my expression pedal. It sounded pretty good as a standalone octave up.

What else does it do? It's an audio interface for my computer. It comes with free Cubase activation code.

More thorough review to follow when I've learned how not to lose the patches I create 🤦. Including side by side comparison with other pedals.

Many thanks for taking the time to post this Stew. 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

so compared to the B3n which I have (admittedly rarely used), what are the pros?

IMO, pretty much everything about the B6 is a better than the B3n.  Unless you're fully wedded to the WYSIWYG stomp switches and knobs  legacy design (in which case the G11 would suit you better...for a jump in cost),  there's almost nothing I prefer on the B3n vs. the B6. B3n is smaller, if that matters. Both require a little tap-dancing to switch their "play modes" from stomp mode to bank/patch to memory.  This could be improved for the B6.  

• Tuner in the B6 is really fast and accurate, and much easier to read.
  • Amp models, preamps and drives all sound improved: detail, depth, realism, feel.  Things getting more realer. Some nice new additions to the preamps and amps that didn't exist on the B3n.
  • If you like the SansAmp BDDI, you'll really like the B6 model. I like it more than when I actually HAD the BDDI. The B6 has the newer version modeled with Midrange control.
  • Synth and pitch-based effects have taken a step up IMO.  I'm finding that I like them more and can do more with them. On the B3n, this category was a real struggle.  The synth sounds I'm getting now on the B6 are so much better than the B3 or B3n.
  • 2 inputs w/dedicated switch and  each with global EQ/Level is perfect for switching between 2 drastically different basses in live performance. Nice touch.
  • XLR output. Yes, we get an XLR output. The level sent from XLR is NOT tied to the back panel volume knob, which is a smart move. This way, you have discrete volume control over the 1/4" (phones) output stage feed via the knob, while the XLR output remains static.  Level to the XLR can be controlled by the input 1/input 2 global levels.
  • DI output types: I thought this might be a little gimmicky, but the more I played with this feature, the more I got hooked on Tube-2 and Solid State-1 DI output types. Another nice final touch. Also, you have a bypass mode that leaves the DI type engaged, which is nice.
  • USB recording/playback.  On my computer, this was literally plug-and-play. Flawless. 
  •  Touchscreen:  so much easier to read, especially presets in Bank/Patch mode...big amber letters on a black background.  I will say that swiping up/down and left/right on the touchscreen is a little less responsive than we've been accustomed to on smartphones. That said, it is no different than the response I get from my Mackie DM16 iPad mixer and Behringer XR 18 using my 2-in-1 laptop or iPad.  A little patience and feel and it works fine. I'm used to it now.
  • Looper: I'm not a looper guy, but if you are and looper time/capacity matter to you, the SD card slot solves this problem
  • FX loop & Send/Return:  Standard feature that comes in handy.  Also, the discrete Send could be used alone to pull a feed before cab modeling to send to your stage amp.  The discrete Return could be used as an additional input for an external source. 
  • On screen editing of FX blocks:  in "effect board" mode, just touch the effect block you want to edit and up pops its controls, with adjustments made using the 4 knobs below.  Again, easy-to-read factor is huge. Return to "effect board" mode by clicking the Mode switch, or back button on the screen.  Pretty easy and intuitive.

Now, on the CON side:

• 6 slots maximum, with 4 switches maximum.  If I want to load up all 6 slots with effects, I'll only be able to switch 4 of them on/off. I could really use 2 more slots and 2 more switches. Oh well.
  • DSP memory:  some of the effects, preamps, amp models, etc. are very hungry for DSP.  I find that sometimes I have to go with a lower preference effect in order to keep from going over 100% DSP.  It's manageable, but 20% more DSP would go a long way.
  • PLAY MODE switches:  Switching from EFFECT BOARD (stompbox mode) to Bank/Patch (individual preset mode) to MEMORY (bank of 4 preset patches) to LOOPER is awkward for quick changes.  Not a dealbreaker as I don't have a ton of different presets (they all can fit into 2 or maybe 3 banks).  I can see it being a pain in the derrière though, if you regularly want to change patches and access effects in stompbox mode.
  • Size: the pedal is big for a Zoom pedal...bigger than the G5n I use. I may need to carry it in its own case rather than stuffed in my gig bag.

Edited by jimfist
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

so compared to the B3n which I have (admittedly rarely used), what are the pros?

I can't improve much on @jimfistanswer. Everything sounds better and editing with the touch screen is great.

As far as only switching four out of six pedals on and off is concerned I don't see this as an issue for me given that almost any board I'm likely to use will have a couple of always on effects.

Having said that it would be great if two effects could be simultaneously switched with one switch. I could do this on my HXFX.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

I can't improve much on @jimfistanswer. Everything sounds better and editing with the touch screen is great.

As far as only switching four out of six pedals on and off is concerned I don't see this as an issue for me given that almost any board I'm likely to use will have a couple of always on effects.

Having said that it would be great if two effects could be simultaneously switched with one switch. I could do this on my HXFX.

Exactly!  I have a running list of B6 wishes and the assignment of a switch to 2 slots was on that list. For example, I like to put a limiter after an envelope filter to tame the transients, and being able to switch both on/off with one button would be great.

I also noticed on Guitar Lab, the Effects Pool shows 71% of memory used for effects residing in the unit. This means there's another 29% left for additional effects and whatnot, so there's room for Zoom to add amps & effects.

• Like 2

Hi guys, I'm looking at the pc editor. I can't see any way to reorder the memory banks. This seems to me something I'd want to do easily to accommodate the changing of set list order.

Also is there an easier way to find the memory banks you want than clicking through everything?

Hi guys, I'm looking at the pc editor. I can't see any way to reorder the memory banks. This seems to me something I'd want to do easily to accommodate the changing of set list order.

Also is there an easier way to find the memory banks you want than clicking through everything?

I'd recommend creating a backup folder in the patch pool area so you can get back to where you were if things go awry.

I've been doing this using Guitar Lab, but I think it can be done on the unit itself, too:

https://zoomcorp.com/manuals/b6-operation-manual/#unique_107

In Guitar Lab, you need to be on the "PATCH " view screen.  [Note: I'm in Windows 10 OS] From there, you use CNTRL + select (individual select)  or SHIFT + select (multiple sequential select) to choose the patches you want to move.

I select the 4 patches that comprise whatever bank I'm moving, and then drag them where I want them. I'd practice this first moving to some wide open Empty patch areas so you can see the behavior.

1 hour ago, jimfist said:

I'd recommend creating a backup folder in the patch pool area so you can get back to where you were if things go awry.

I've been doing this using Guitar Lab, but I think it can be done on the unit itself, too:

https://zoomcorp.com/manuals/b6-operation-manual/#unique_107

In Guitar Lab, you need to be on the "PATCH " view screen.  [Note: I'm in Windows 10 OS] From there, you use CNTRL + select (individual select)  or SHIFT + select (multiple sequential select) to choose the patches you want to move.

I tried this and thought it hadn't worked. I'll try again.

Thanks for the great advice. I'm not used to this pc software having become familiar with ToneLib.

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I tried this and thought it hadn't worked. I'll try again.

Thanks for the great advice. I'm not used to this pc software having become familiar with ToneLib.

Guitar Lab is clunky and quirky. It functions on a very basic level.  I've been trying to figure out how to Rename Banks in Guitar Lab, but haven't yet found it. 

On the B6, you can name a bank when you create a New Bank, but it's strange where it locates the new, named bank. It blew out a bank of presets I made and hadn't backed-up. OUCH!

26 minutes ago, jimfist said:

Guitar Lab is clunky and quirky. It functions on a very basic level.  I've been trying to figure out how to Rename Banks in Guitar Lab, but haven't yet found it. 

On the B6, you can name a bank when you create a New Bank, but it's strange where it locates the new, named bank. It blew out a bank of presets I made and hadn't backed-up. OUCH!

Yes! I haven't used it that way because it seemed to bounce around randomly. Easy to create patches, it's the memory function I feel most drawn to, once I've nailed that I'll be away

Edited by stewblack

So here I am, just about to post that I’ve bought another B3 (it’s like putting on an old pair of slippers etc, etc) and there’s a completely new offering from Zoom that looks the business.

That’ll teach me for not trawling these pages as often as I once did. 🤷🏼‍♂️

54 minutes ago, Deedee said:

So here I am, just about to post that I’ve bought another B3 (it’s like putting on an old pair of slippers etc, etc) and there’s a completely new offering from Zoom that looks the business.

That’ll teach me for not trawling these pages as often as I once did. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ah yes, but at least one reviewer has stated a preference for the B3 over the B6. 

I regret selling my B3 - it was handy to use just as an audio interface - a solid, easy to use piece of kit.

However I am very happy with my new toy too.

• Like 3

I must admit, in hindsight, as someone who had a B3 that I used a lot and sold it for a B3n which I have hardly used and still don't really get, I sort of regret getting rid of the B3. That and the B1-Four which again I rarely use, are probably why I will skip the B6. Only problem is that as much as I like the HXFX which I do, it is now getitng to the stage that 50% of the times I turn it on it says firmware failed, and the last time I turned it on at a practice, it firmware failed twice in a row. I presume at some point it could fully die.

Actually I think I will do a firmware update on it. Not today though, I am playing a wedding tonight!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I must admit, in hindsight, as someone who had a B3 that I used a lot and sold it for a B3n which I have hardly used and still don't really get, I sort of regret getting rid of the B3. That and the B1-Four which again I rarely use, are probably why I will skip the B6. Only problem is that as much as I like the HXFX which I do, it is now getitng to the stage that 50% of the times I turn it on it says firmware failed, and the last time I turned it on at a practice, it firmware failed twice in a row. I presume at some point it could fully die.

Actually I think I will do a firmware update on it. Not today though, I am playing a wedding tonight!

Unreliability is a killer isn't it?

Sure is. I think if it went fully I would still try and get another one as there is nothing that is the same format as that. Although there is a part of me saying 'if I got an echo, chorus, overdrive, octave up and autowah pedal, I would have everything covered. But that would take as much space with an additional 5 leads, 5 power leads and 10 connectors to go wrong live. 

Or I hold out for when TC electronics get round to making a plethora 2 that had a bit more plethora!

• Like 1