Why become a member? ×

New Zoom Multi FX: Zoom B6

rushbo

40 minutes ago, stewblack said:

HXFX is exactly my kind of pedal. Like the Plethora it allows me to see separate effects rather than a crowded little screen.

However I've been a fan of Zoom pedals forever. If there was a dedicated bass version of the G11 that would be done kind of special sauce.

Pretty much agree. The helix LT is almost perfect for me and the “workflow” I need. But I’ve been a fan of zoom since the original 9000 series. Actually, I wish they would resurrect that form factor - a little unit that can sit on your amp with a passive remote pedal board that doesn’t require running power at the front of stage. TBH I’m surprise Line 6 didn't implement a similar feature with the Stomp and one of their Ethernet powered boards. 

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

The plethora would be a great thing too with more effect types

I agree. It's too limited though at that price. It should have access to all TCE effects.

I've tried the HX Stomp and HX Effects and now the Zoom B6. I am super-fickle and I'm already getting bored of the B6 .... the novelty its wearing off although there's nothing wrong with the pedal.  I think I might go back to a good compressor (I was going to say limit myself . . . ) and focus on some technicque and explore effects in more detail when I am better equiped to actually use them effectively! 🙂

Edited by CJPJ
typo and edit

I have to say the Plethora is already a great pedal, even without the holy trinity of drive, synth and envelope filter.

But as with all things that doesn't mean it'll be great for you. I really like everything about it, and it can only get better.

The Zoom B6 is perhaps out of my price range - especially considering the lukewarm reviews here and elsewhere. 

I wish I'd not moved on my B3, it would have sat nicely with the Plethora. 

Ah well, let's see what the future brings. Knowing me I'll post this and three days later buy a Zoom B6.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I used to have the Plethora and the HXFX on the same board, 5 effects on one six on the other. 

Was perfect for me . 

Then the HX died.

I don't need that many effects, although I have often wanted a 7th switchable! I think if I was playing the guitar the Plethora would be more interesting to me, I would be using more modulations, and then maybe a plethora and a stomp would work where I would just be using the stomp for distortion / overdrive and eqs.

I would be unhappy if my HX died. I do worry about that one, as every 4th time or so I turn it on it says 'firmware failure', but then I turn it off and on again (I am a professional, I know the tricks!) and it works fine. I had a Helix LT, but that was too big for me - although if I was, as is my dream, gigging with the chapman stick, it would be ideal.

I don't actually undertstand why the plethora doesn't do distortions - I mean in my last band I started with a TCBG250 combo that had toneprints, and that had distortion.

I confess I don't know why it doesn't distort.

However any board I build has octave, chorus, phaser, flanger and compression. The Plethora provides these in a tidy, compact, virtually cable free fashion, so it suits me. 

The death of the HXFX is a salutary warning applicable to all multi effects. Lose one, lose them all.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I had a Helix LT, but that was too big for me - although if I was, as is my dream, gigging with the chapman stick, it would be ideal.

The features of the LT are just about the perfect device for me, but I do wish it was smaller. When the competitors are building near full featured version of their flagship models in smaller form factors, it baffles me why the LT is so big, and the stomp XL so underpowered.  I'd quite happily lose the expression pedal and a couple of footswitches to save size and weight.

Perhaps it's time for a Helix Core.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I confess I don't know why it doesn't distort.

However any board I build has octave, chorus, phaser, flanger and compression. The Plethora provides these in a tidy, compact, virtually cable free fashion, so it suits me. 

The death of the HXFX is a salutary warning applicable to all multi effects. Lose one, lose them all.

That baffles me too, especially when I've seen it advertised as having "all your favourite toneprint pedals".

The danger of multifx dying and effectively killing all of your effects is a real risk. But it's also a warning to bring a backup device.  I keep an inexpensive Valeton Dapper bass in the gigbag to get me out of trouble. I'm considering use my IK HD2 with Bias FX on my iPad as an alternative backup solution as well, but it's a bit noisy. Heck, even my new Nux Mighty Plug could possibly get me out of trouble at a push.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

The features of the LT are just about the perfect device for me, but I do wish it was smaller. When the competitors are building near full featured version of their flagship models in smaller form factors, it baffles me why the LT is so big, and the stomp XL so underpowered.

Well, yes, when the stomp XL came out I was expecting like an LT in half the box, which would be perfect - I did love what the LT could do, but with the need to have the synth pedals too, it made it too big.

Seems that after getting a big jump on the competition with the helix, they are slipping back a bit.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, yes, when the stomp XL came out I was expecting like an LT in half the box, which would be perfect - I did love what the LT could do, but with the need to have the synth pedals too, it made it too big.

Seems that after getting a big jump on the competition with the helix, they are slipping back a bit.

If the StompXL was the device I hoped it would have been, I would have likely sold my LT and bought one. As it is, Line 6 don't offer a device smaller than the LT that lets you A) disable the master volume to FOH over XLR whilst retaining master volume over 1/4" to on stage amp/frfr, and B) similarly set global eq to only affect output to onstage amp/frfr and not affect XLR to FOH.

TBH, I was quite shocked the Stomp XL didn't have discrete XLR outputs at all.

If I went completely ampless I would likely be able to work around these deficiencies in the stomp models

Hey you crazy cats, while we're on the topic of Zoom multi effect boxes, dies anyone here use the G5 or G11 for bass duty?

I am aware of all the arguments about guitar pedals for bass, I was wondering if you have real world experience specifically of the Zoom pedals 

On 09/02/2022 at 17:08, stewblack said:

Anyone understand the technical side of things? I'm wondering about the improvements, if any, made to the effects from previous (inexpensive) Zoom model.

Are there figures you can quote to prove the new effect has another 2000 gigawatt reactor added for each pedal simulation?

Having just perused the effects list it reads very similar to all the previous Zoom offerings. 

As much as I like the touchscreen and expression pedal and new shiny package, at the price point I'd like to think it actually sounds better too.

A side by side comparison with a B1_Four would be absolutely ideal of course.

I've followed this discussion with great interest - I have an LT that lives in a flight case (it's up for sale ATM) and I'm looking for something to replace it that's at least as good for my simple needs (one SVT amp model, a bit of chorus, distortion and octave) and much smaller/lighter. I thought this could be the answer but I'm definitely not getting that vibe here and form factor apart, sounds like it would be a retrograde step. 

Well even with all the luke warm comments on this thread I have to say I am really pleased with my B6.

Each to his own I suppose!!

Had a rehearsal yesterday with my covers band and the B6 performed really well, copied all my patches from my B1-Four and used some of the amp sims on modified patches.

All good stuff. 

20220204_153236.thumb.jpg.e68e16fe3a389fa1ef019338bf272b31.jpg

Edited by JohnDaBass
grammar
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Well even with all the luke warm comments on this thread I have to say I am really pleased with my B6.

Each to his own I suppose!!

Had a rehearsal yesterday with my covers band and the B6 performed really well, copied all my patches from my B1-Four and used some of the amp sims on modified patches.

All good stuff. 

20220204_153236.thumb.jpg.e68e16fe3a389fa1ef019338bf272b31.jpg

Looking good! And if it's hitting the mark for you and the band then it's just the ticket: real life experience trumps pretty much everything else in my books! 

I presume you had to manually copy the B1-4 patches or could you transfer them electronically? 

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I presume you had to manually copy the B1-4 patches or could you transfer them electronically? 

I had Zoom guitar Lab and ToneLib open on the Desktop and just entered my preferred values onto the B6. I haven't worked out how to get the B6 & B1-4 to talk to each other, I'll wait for one of the clever Guys to come along with the method. Once ToneLib has included the B6 I am sure it's as simple as copying and pasting the files from the patches stored on the Desktop HD. The B6 + HB wireless fits neatly into the case I used for my "Big Board" with just the one cable a mains cord it's very convenient looks great. I still have my small board with the B1-4 and Tech 21 VT bass DI and I carry my standalone B1-4 ( rechargeable batteries)as a backup in my gig bag. Could say I'm pretty much ZOOOOOM'd  out.

Happy Days!!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Do the B1-Four patches sound any better / different running on the B6?

IMHO with my 70 year old abused ears I think the patches sound richer fuller, more authentic and open, a real improvementin sound quality. I'm pleased with what I'm hearing through headphones and Fender Rumble thro BF SC. But each to their own  and with great returns policy from the big retailers everyone can make up their own mind and not rely on an old Duffer like me.

• Like 2

On 20/02/2022 at 18:43, CJPJ said:

This is a great unit - I've only sold as I'm fickle and buy and sell just to try new stuff out. I really liked it and would still be my preference over the HX Stomp / Effects.

You sold it? Without offering it to me???

5 hours ago, stewblack said:

You sold it? Without offering it to me???

Ha. No, I returned it with the 14 days to the shop. So I guess I didn’t technically sell it - I just I un-bought it!

Edited by CJPJ
Typo