Why become a member? ×

New Zoom Multi FX: Zoom B6

rushbo

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Tbf he did just say he was going to spend the money on a new amplifier instead 😁

Ah, good point, get a good amplifier then you will be able to tell the difference.

9 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

But that was my point .. I don’t need synth sounds for the music I play.

ok, then yes, for you it wouldn't be any use.

For me it would be less use as it is too big for my pedalboard!

9 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

kind of wasted on many bassists I think

Same could be said for the D and G strings, let alone the B :D

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

For me it would be less use as it is too big for my pedalboard!

That was very much my initial reaction, too, when it first came out.

However I'm kinda now thinking, given how good "workflow" is with the all the Zoom multis I've had (apart from the MS-60B where I found the interface to be a PITA), this unit could entirely replace my pedalboard. 

Something Helix never quite managed to do, given its relatively poor filter and synth sims, which even the budget B1-4 out-does Helix on. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

However I'm kinda now thinking, given how good "workflow" is with the all the Zoom multis I've had (apart from the MS-60B where I found the interface to be a PITA), this unit could entirely replace my pedalboard.

Yeh, still not for me as I need the sample player, the SY2000 and an actual synth pedalboard. And the vocal processor, although I guess that could go elsewhere

19 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeh, still not for me as I need the sample player, the SY-200 (fixed 😉) and an actual synth pedalboard. And the vocal processor, although I guess that could go elsewhere

• The two input + A/B switch + DI out could be quite an interesting feature for combining either (i) bass + synth keyboard (for you) or (ii) bass + EUB (in my case) or (iii) alternatively just any combination of two different basses - fretted / fretless;  5 string / 8 string etc!  EBS gear is highly regarded, but I'd be paying almost as much for an EBS Stanley Clarke or EBS Microsbass3 to offer something similar just on the dual input preamp front.
  • It also seems to have a very decent audio interface so I suspect that also means I can dispense with my Focusrite?
  • 2 hours of looper capability with an SD card, vs the usual 60 seconds on other multis (including Helix) and my Boss RC-5 could rapidly be for the chop, too!

I'm liking the sound and feature set of this unit more and more! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Can the looper do a single shot of a stored sample?

I think the clip below deals with both your Qs:

Not 100% sure what you're asking Woody but check Looper mode (1.34), if this hits the mark in what you're after.

2 minutes ago, funkydoug said:

Can the B6 do this? I thought not, but it’d be cool if it can

Memory mode for storing an entire set list of patches (1.14)

50 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Memory mode for storing an entire set list of patches (1.14)

Ah right, sorry I misread your earlier comment. I thought you meant you could scroll through your signal chain bringing the effects into the ‘footswitch positions’ as on the B3n. Guess not on the B6

7 minutes ago, funkydoug said:

Ah right, sorry I misread your earlier comment. I thought you meant you could scroll through your signal chain bringing the effects into the ‘footswitch positions’ as on the B3n. Guess not on the B6

Doesn't the Effect Board mode (see start of same clip) allow you to do that?

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Not 100% sure what you're asking Woody but check Looper mode (1.34), if this hits the mark in what you're after.

Yep, it probably would, although I really need tto get round to putting it on the synth. Basicaly I have a number of sound effects and stuff that I trigger when playing. What I should be doing is triggering them from the midi keyboard but I found a lack of decent software to do it, so I use a jamman looper that just triggers sound effects

So it probably would do it.

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yep, it probably would, although I really need tto get round to putting it on the synth. Basicaly I have a number of sound effects and stuff that I trigger when playing. What I should be doing is triggering them from the midi keyboard but I found a lack of decent software to do it, so I use a jamman looper that just triggers sound effects

So it probably would do it.

Apparently you also have the option of setting the looper pre or post effects, which is pretty neat.

Just been checking out the 10 new amps / preamps / and effects on the B6. Zoom have helpfully provided sound samples for all 10.

The one that got my attention was the new Super Low Preamp: "A ZOOM original preamp...SpLoPre is equipped with a bass enhancer, which emphasizes the low end of every note. With a Lo EQ and a negative one octave sound, a super low-end tone is produced."  

Had a listen to the Soundcloud clip for this SPLoPre and damn, it's good! Think punchy, tight, glitch-free octaver overlaying your clean. If you want your bass tone to hit your audience in the gut - this delivers it. Brilliant.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just been checking out the 10 new amps / preamps / and effects on the B6. Zoom have helpfully provided sound samples for all 10.

The one that got my attention was the new Super Low Preamp: "A ZOOM original preamp...SpLoPre is equipped with a bass enhancer, which emphasizes the low end of every note. With a Lo EQ and a negative one octave sound, a super low-end tone is produced."  

Had a listen to the Soundcloud clip for this SPLoPre and damn, it's good! Think punchy, tight, glitch-free octaver overlaying your clean. If you want your bass tone to hit your audience in the gut - this delivers it. Brilliant.

Only question for me with this multi now is will I manage to hold off getting one until one comes up used? 😄

I haven't had a chance to listen to the sample yet, but that reminds me of the sub harmonic generator effect in the Ashdown Evo amp range.  I wonder if it's a similar thing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I haven't had a chance to listen to the sample yet, but that reminds me of the sub harmonic generator effect in the Ashdown Evo amp range.  I wonder if it's a similar thing.

Interesting point and must admit I had the exact same thought!

My guess is that the mechanism is going to be quite different between the two, but if it delivers the same sonic outcome then that works!

I've only used a sub harmonic generator a couple of times on an Ashdown Evo and tbh found it a little mushy, so kept it off. The Zoom digital emulation sounds really tight and punchy on the clip which is pretty impressive when dealing with octave down. Whether that stacks up in real life is another matter, but it was a bit of an "oh yeah!" sound sample for me!

It's on this link - you'll need to scroll down untill you get to "New PreAmp Models" 

B6 | ZOOM (zoomcorp.com)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

@Woodinblack Zoom have doubled the sample rate on the B6 chip vs the B3n / B1-4 chip. Do you know what that means in terms of DSP - is it broadly a doubling? And, if so, would the expectation be that B6 will deliver a significantly improved sound over its predecessors with the same effect sims (most of the effects on the B6 are the same as those available on the B3n and B1-4, with the new patches detailed in the link in my post above).

• Like 1

Its a complex sort of arrangement, but I would suspect that they have done it to clear up there weak spots, improving the quality on a dying effect, so the tails of reverb and the dying of an echo, which could be pretty noisy on the zooms. 

I would suspect that the B6 would be an upgrade in sound quality anyway

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got one on order for early March. I'm hoping that it will replace my whole pedal board.

I agree that the Zoom B3n has much more useable synth sounds than the Helix Stomp (I have both), but not compared to the C4 (which I also have). I'm hoping that it will be "good enough" in a  live setting to replace the C4 though, as I play in an 80's covers band and use synth sounds on half a dozen songs.

I'd also like it to replace my MXR M87 bass compressor (which I love). Do you think that's too big an ask?  I do wish that multiFX pedals would show the metering on their compressors. As far as I can see neither the Zoom or the HX Stomp have that capability.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TobyMunkling said:

I've got one on order for early March. I'm hoping that it will replace my whole pedal board.

I agree that the Zoom B3n has much more useable synth sounds than the Helix Stomp (I have both), but not compared to the C4 (which I also have). I'm hoping that it will be "good enough" in a  live setting to replace the C4 though, as I play in an 80's covers band and use synth sounds on half a dozen songs.

I'd also like it to replace my MXR M87 bass compressor (which I love). Do you think that's too big an ask?  I do wish that multiFX pedals would show the metering on their compressors. As far as I can see neither the Zoom or the HX Stomp have that capability.

I think there is metering on the larger Helix models. 

PS the compressor patch I shared for the B1-4 got positive feedback from fellow BC'ers, so you may well be able to replace your MXR M87 although, from memory, that is a super-transparent comp.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

On 23/01/2022 at 01:05, Woodinblack said:

Its a complex sort of arrangement, but I would suspect that they have done it to clear up there weak spots, improving the quality on a dying effect, so the tails of reverb and the dying of an echo, which could be pretty noisy on the zooms. 

I would suspect that the B6 would be an upgrade in sound quality anyway

Interesting comment on the subject by a TB'er:

"They doubled the sample rate. By getting rid of a channel. It’s a monophonic device.
I am doubtful that any of the ‘effects’ are going to sound significantly better. Some might actually suffer if they previously made use of the stereo field for movement. Perhaps they have concentrated on beefing up the amp models, which if you are trying to win a budget bass multieffects modeling war is probably a decent strategy."

I take it from that they've simply tweaked the operation of the existing B3n / B1-4 chip set rather than gone for an upgraded chip with additional DSP, which would be disappointing. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

"They doubled the sample rate. By getting rid of a channel. It’s a monophonic device.

Well, that is a little dissapointing - after this time they can throw more processing at it, especially at its price point. I understand most people using the device will be using mono, so it makes sense from that point of view, but on the line6s you can choose to use a mono effect and use less processing time if you want, but if you are one of the people who use stereo (and live gigging I am not), you can choose to use more processing to have the stereo effect.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, that is a little disappointing - after this time they can throw more processing at it, especially at its price point. 

Completely agree. 

Well it was definitely useful to flush that point out. Looks like I'll be sticking with my B1-4s a while longer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, that is a little dissapointing - after this time they can throw more processing at it, especially at its price point. I understand most people using the device will be using mono, so it makes sense from that point of view, but on the line6s you can choose to use a mono effect and use less processing time if you want, but if you are one of the people who use stereo (and live gigging I am not), you can choose to use more processing to have the stereo effect.

Also agree with your point but for myself, the B6 offers me those extra features in a more flexible, convenient way. I will only be using the unit in mono and accept that the loss of the stereo feature to increase the processing makes sense to me plus the ability to load third party IRs. Zoom have built their software stack on the current chipset architecture, which is probably coming to the end of it's life as it has probably reached its maximum capabilities. I imagine that Zoom are in the process of "porting" their software stack over to a new faster, bigger chipset, which is no easy task, as the latest chipsets probably operate differently. So maybe the B6 formfactor will remain but in the future the deployment of the latest chipset will offer greater processing plus other features. So maybe the Zoom B6+ (B9?) will be along next year. I can not see me needing anything more than what the B6 offers right now.

• Like 1