Why become a member? ×

Tokai TB48 Thunderbird - opinions?

Paul S

I was wondering about these.  One of the more recent Tokais as opposed to the excellent 80s ones.  Is it even remotely like a Gibson?  Passive, set neck, double humbuckers.  Sensible bridge :) But what is the build quality?  They aren't dear.

Had one a wee while back. From what I recall, the body was slightly oversized, compared to an Epiphone / Gibson, and it has a 44mm nut (opposed to 38mm on the Epiphone / Gibson models). The oversized body meant that it won't fit into a shaped T'bird case, but does fit into a gig bag.

Other than that, it's a solid bass. Prone to the usual T'bird complaints of course. I didn't find it head heavy, but you have to have long arms (especially if you want to play it sat down!). If you play with it on a strap, then you need to have the body resting on the hip rather than having the body resting across you (as you would with an FSO for example).

Edited by Skybone
  • Thanks 1

Not really having a reference point here, I'm afraid I can't really help in that respect.

It had to be moved on when I couldn't coax a usable sound out of it. It sounded great on it's own, but in the rehearsal room, it just seemed "indistinct" to me. 

There again, I do realise that I much prefer single coil pickups.

• Thanks 1

On 05/10/2021 at 17:04, Paul S said:

Thanks for that.  Do you recall what it sounded like - vaguely Gibson-esque?

If Austin made an Allegro that looked like a Ferrari, it wouldn't be a Ferrari.

I've owned about a dozen Thunderbirds, they were all different, but there was one was head and shoulders over the others.  I have no idea what Gibson-esque actually means from a tone perspective.

I nearly bought one but the one I tried was so heavy that I was put off immediately. My Gibson is really lightweight and two of the 3 Epiphones I have owned were also fairly light. The sheer weight of the Tokai meant I didn't even pay attention to the build quality or tone. It could have been a one off but it shut down that avenue of ownership for me. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I have no idea what Gibson-esque actually means from a tone perspective.

It means 'something like a Gibson'. 

I had a Thunderbird for a while (just the one, mind), still have a Les Paul Jr DC, and both sound 'something like a Gibson' to me.  Whilst not sounding exactly the same as each other they sounded more like each other than anything else I have.

4 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I had one - weighed a tonne, sounded average at best, uncomfortable and huge to play. Looked cool tho. Didn’t keep it long. 

It was only a few years later when I played a real Gibson T-Bird that I realised how far off the mark the Tokai one was. 

I think that would be a probpem for me as I did have a nice Gibson T Bird - a lightweight one as well - so one of these would be very much a backward step.  Of course I sold it, the reason why escapes me just for now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bassbiscuits said:

I was really surprised to play a real T Bird and find it sleek and beautiful, rather than the barn door that my Tokai was.

Live and learn eh?

Its the 'learn' bit I seem to struggle with sometimes :) 

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Re. Tokai TB 48 bass guitar. I bought one in early 2019.I still have it as well as a Fender Precision bass. I got it second hand but it looks new. The Tokai Thunderbird has a great sound. It has two humbucker pickups which are just out of this world. Really good. It only had one issue and all Thunderbirds have it and that is, it's headstocks heavy and tendency to neck dive. I just held bass differently and it was sorted. The sound is excellent, top notch. 

• 1 year later...

Well, joining in with this resurrected thread....

I assume the upshot of the OP was that they gave up and looked no further. All I can add, is that my Chinese Tokai TB is my absolute number one bass. The Warwicks barely leave their cases at the moment, awesome as they are.

In my case, I have to admit, that mine is heavily modded (thread in the build diary section), however the wooden bits and more importantly the pickups are stock. I changed everything else, and the result is my number one, that's as good as any Gibsons I personally have played. I find it very comfortable indeed to play and it sounds incredible, albeit with an "upgraded" wiring harness coupled with the stock pickups. Another example, again in my own personal experience, of upgrading the pots etc first, before spending a load on new pickups. Often the stock pickups are absolutely fine hooked up to a decent harness. That's what I have found anyway. Same with my Sunn P basses. The first thing people do is rip out those "cheap" off white pickups and bin them. Big error. They sound incredible with a good harness put in instead. They're just magnets that's all.

So, I ended up buying two more 'birds, a Tokai and a Greco. The Tokai will get the same treatment as my first one, and I'm sure it'll be awesome.

Horses for courses. I love 'birds, they work for me, and someday I hope to find a Gibson that's worth buying, but for now it's Tokai all the way.

• Like 1

Forgot to say…. BIG shout out to ‘James Home Of Tone’ for his fantastic pre wired harnesses…. absolutely my first stop before thinking about spending hundreds on new pickups.