Why become a member? ×

Youngest showing an interest

PaulThePlug

My Youngest (13) is showing an interest... His mate plays electric guitar and his dad acoustic guitar in a kids church band occasionaly. Hopefuly Marcus can join em on the root notes and take it from there...

I new that Cheapy Ibby would come in handy... a few well placed stickers...

Wired both my GSRs VBT to make things easy, and left the PHAT II so he can join the 'Dark Side'... Sorted!

Should keep him out of trouble and of the computer for a bit...

MN.thumb.jpg.56c7e912ed43e1616d5a367138e0911f.jpgMB.thumb.jpg.b5d6ba1855c52914f69c5d7e57f299ba.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

My Youngest (13) is showing an interest... His mate plays electric guitar and his dad acoustic guitar in a kids church band occasionaly. Hopefuly Marcus can join em on the root notes and take it from there...

I new that Cheapy Ibby would come in handy... a few well placed stickers to help him along and make it his own... Wired both my GSRs VBT to make things easy, and left the PHAT II so he can join the 'Dark Side'... Sorted!.. Should keep him out of trouble and of the computer for a bit...

MN.thumb.jpg.56c7e912ed43e1616d5a367138e0911f.jpgMB.thumb.jpg.b5d6ba1855c52914f69c5d7e57f299ba.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Those fretboard stickers are making me realise that I still never know the actual name of the notes on the fretboard ..... and that maybe learning that info might help a bit 😅

How do you play? By remembering patterns?

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

How do you play? By remembering patterns?

It's all relative – eg this note is a minor third above the last note so I either go three frets forward or two frets back and up a string. I even do it when reading the music in the first place – I'm not reading the notes themselves but the relationships between them. Is that what you meant? 

Great that kids are still taking an interest in learning a "real" instrument rather than decks or studios.

I leant my note location by learning the relationship with the e string - 5 up or 7 down for the next string, 2 up for a 2 string gap, 3 notes down for a  3 string gap. A lot easier for a beginner.

I think it's important that beginners can see progress quickly to retain their interest - teach 'em "The Chain!. Everybody knows it as the them from the F1 - They can impress their friends.

• Like 2

• Rich changed the title to Youngest showing an interest
11 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

Not sure if this will work. I hope your youngster has fun! ( We do)🤘😂

I'll just say wait for it....

That's awesome!!! Will have to show my daughter (who is nearly 5) and who loves tinkering with my guitars.

I always let me kids play with my guitars, even my US Stingray, as long as I'm in the room. If I didn't let them I'd be worried they see music as something they're not allowed to do or they get told off for. I think my daughter will play some kind of instrument, not so sure about my son yet but there's still time....

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I always let me kids play with my guitars, even my US Stingray, as long as I'm in the room. If I didn't let them I'd be worried they see music as something they're not allowed to do or they get told off for. 

Cheers - exactly this.

Same here, though they prefer the Ibby Mikro and struggle with a 37" Dingwall 😁. The Mikro is awesome though, sounds really good. 

Have to remember that we 'play' music.

We weren't allowed to touch the instruments in school music lessons  (I'm not joking)  and it was a revelation when me and my mates started( too late) well after leaving school. 

• Like 1

Put a stop to it. My oldest daughter showed an interest a couple years ago so I let her have one of my basses. Now she plays much better than me and my basses and effects pedals keep disappearing!

On 05/10/2021 at 13:32, Ricky Rioli said:

Those fretboard stickers are making me realise that I still never know the actual name of the notes on the fretboard ..... and that maybe learning that info might help a bit 😅

I gave up with learning the notes on the fretboard when I started playing in four different tunings. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I feel reassured by this:

Q. When it comes to guitar soloing, do you have a music theory element?

CHRIS POLAND: No, I have no idea what I'm playing. [Laughs] Not a clue.

My fingers seem to have started the process of learning to move instinctively to where the wanted note is. Which is how we sing: we hear where we need to be and a bunch of muscles we've only very vague control over take our voices there. 

So it feels like some crossroads: learn the notes, and play the bass like playing the piano, the eyes reading the pitch, and the fingers converting that info? Or skip bothering to acquire that layer of consciousness, and just let the fingers follow the ears?

The first is probably a lot more useful, but the second sounds a lot more fun. 

I found learning scale patterns more useful than learning the names of notes. It was possibly because all the songs my last band played were either in C minor pentatonic or A# minor pentatonic so I only had to learn two scales!

My music theory is pretty much non existent which is probably why I can't improvise very much.

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the above,

The stickers are more to get him going... his mate can shout out the chord and he can find a note... more fun on the fly... for an initial result, hopefuly that will fuel hid interest and he can then go as he likes and suites him best...

He has got half an idea with notes from a cheapy keyboard for the left hand... looking at the right hand with both finger and pick... sorting his versions of The Black Keys' Gold on the Ceiling and White Stripes' Seven Nation Army...

Also plays cymbals, and had a go on the snare in the boys brigade marching band, so got a bit of timing, beats n rests...

Edited by PaulThePlug

I just heard something cool upstairs. It seems my daughter has discovered Tool and picked up Aenema in about two hours. I've tried several times and can't get that song right.

Looks like I'm the second best bassist in the house. At least I've got the fancy gear.

• Haha 2