Why become a member? ×

Another buzz question...

foldyman

I know there are a ton of these on here, but none get at what I'm experiencing specifically...

... a buzz that only happens on the A string, any fret, and only when it's tuned to A. You can hear it through the amp. Does my head right in.

I'd honestly give up on the bass before the strings, so this is my last ditch attempt before I sell it. I've got my own theories, but rather than influence any responses with those, here's some plain facts...

• I play pretty lightly, and I like being just of the cusp of fret buzz anyway, so I feel like I can say I'm not just moaning.
  • If I tune the string up or down a tone, zero buzz.
  • If I use other strings (e.g. the Fender ones that come on it), zero buzz.
  • It really doesn't seem to matter what I hold down... saddles, tuners, behind the nut... it always buzzes and I just can't figure out what is actually doing the buzzing.
  • It's a Fender Jazz (yes it does have a retainer on the A, and yes it's wound as far down as possible anyway).
  • I've had 3 sets of the same strings on it now (TI Jazz Rounds), and all do the same after they've bedded in.
  • The nut has been filled in with bone dust to accomodate the smaller strings, done by a professional rather than me.
  • It's had two setups since moving to the TI Jazz Rounds, both from reasonably reputable folks.

Keen to hear your theories on what it is.
Is it even solvable?
Get rid of the bass and move on?

Cheers,
A

PXL_20211004_143044055.jpg

PXL_20211004_142743162.MP.jpg

PXL_20211004_142722977.jpg

PXL_20211004_142702274.jpg

I have 2 questions. 
What happens if/when you remove the string retainer? I’ve never seen one of those on a jazz anyway. I’m old. 
Why don’t you use different strings if it doesn’t happen when you do? Maybe try temporarily replacing the A string with another brand as an experiment. 
As it’s obviously the strings, according to your post, change ‘em. 

2 hours ago, Cliff Edge said:

What happens if/when you remove the string retainer? I’ve never seen one of those on a jazz anyway. I’m old.

This is the new official Fender A string retainer https://www.fender.com/en-GB/parts/electric-bass-parts/string-guides-nuts/stealth-bass-string-retainer/0078972049.html

Concerning the buzz, as it happens all along the neck and as the TI have a lighter gauge, check on the bridge side, it may be a slightly loose screw or even the saddle spring...

I have discarded the bad string fitting as it doesn't make it on the 3 other strings or with other brands