Why become a member? ×

Amp stands

uk_lefty

Anyone here using an amp stand? Has it made a difference for you at all? At less than £20 I'd like to give one a try but I really am running out of space and would only get one of it made a difference.

Context:

I had an audition on weds last week and due to limited time just used the rehearsal space's amp. Luckily it was a Trace combo, an older and tired, less feature rich version of my own. I couldn't hear any of my high end in the first song so the band said "turn it up". Instead I boosted the treble on the EQ (though it was already up high) and angled the combo back against the wall. This did the trick. It made me think of getting an angled amp stand for gigs. I've suffered before with a 1x15 on the floor and not been able to hear it with any definition in stage so I was already thinking of getting one....

15 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

I use one of these, works fine but I'm only using a lightweight Markbass combo, don't know how it would cope with something heavy.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ultimate_amp150.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwzOqKBhAWEiwArQGwaHeFau1iDS898-hXuSnQhmL2jZh9CQEu7yu5l4juilY9gXkuZlT92hoCqoEQAvD_BwE

That looks great in that it's adjustable. Sadly my Trace combo is a bit too heavy for it. The cheaper Thomann one claims to hold 50kg but doesn't have as much adjustment.

I've been using one of these for a while for my Genz Benz combo and it's made a huge difference:

11282652_800.jpg.a31cd1ad8c4159ee6205ea3b9a921fb2.jpg

Really sturdy, and fairly light. They also fold up into a neat 'T' shape. I've also taken the extendable legs off as it's at the perfect height without them. The best way to raise your cab up is to stick another cab underneath it, but for when you don't really need 1000w of sub bass for your pub gigs, I've found this to be a quick, cheap and easy solution.

£27 from Thomann: https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_mixer_stand.htm

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I just pile enough cabs up so one at least points at my ears...

I used to do that with my Ashdown head unit but I'm trying to trim down the amount of gear I've got and have to cart around. One well placed speaker should be sufficient, though having a stack of 15s did give a certain authority to both the look and sound.

On 06/10/2021 at 08:36, Bigguy2017 said:

The Quiklok BS317 Amp Stand is solid, inexpensive and works for me...  £39.00 + P+P

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-accessories/electric-guitar-hangers-stands/quiklok-bs317-amp-stand

Alternatively, buy this from Amazon and get free delivery. £7 for delivery on a non-fragile £39 item is simply extracting the urine.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2021 at 08:36, Bigguy2017 said:

The Quiklok BS317 Amp Stand is solid, inexpensive and works for me...  £39.00 + P+P

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-accessories/electric-guitar-hangers-stands/quiklok-bs317-amp-stand

QL-BS317_super.jpg

I have one similar to that which is OK for thin combos, but some bass gear is of sufficient depth (dimension wise)  that it moves the centre of gravity over the front leg and the whole thing becomes very unstable. My Puma combo fell over , so I stopped using it.

Another option is to consider a folding workman's platform from Toolstation or Screwfix, comes in handy at set-up time for putting up lights and PA stacks as well as being an amp stand.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 20:06, Downunderwonder said:

£0 from a skip near you.

On 06/10/2021 at 09:46, uk_lefty said:

It would need to hold a Trace Elliot.

Most skips will hold quite a lot of Trace Elliott gear. I'll leave it to you to decide whether that's the best place for it .

Edited by pete.young
  • Haha 1

I made something like this to tilt non-wedge cabs we used as on-stage monitors, from mdf and wood found in my garage.  Cost £0, apart from the blackboard paint I bought to make them disappear!

(PS. 2B6C8E00-BA91-47A6-AAA2-1C6492DB635B.jpeg.b480dca262c08983f786b2a241696bea.jpegmy woodwork skills are significantly better than my drawing skills 🤫)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Another option is to consider a folding workman's platform from Toolstation or Screwfix, comes in handy at set-up time for putting up lights and PA stacks as well as being an amp stand.

Due to my mistrust of those stands which angle cabs and combos back - a fear not based on any research, personal experience or science, by the way - I looked at these before I went for the Thomann mixer stand. They tick a load of boxes, as they're a decent height, robust, not incredibly expensive and they'll take a lot of weight. The thing that put me off was the footprint. The legs splay out quite a bit which means that for pub gigs, where space is at a premium, they might not be practical. Depending on how big/heavy your rig is, maybe something like this would work?:

images.jpg.0805489b4a3c208302c9642734e86039.jpg

• Like 1

It's anecdotal but I had one of those Quicklok stands above and mid gig my Rumble 800 came crashing into the floor, landing on the XLR cable and bending all of the back plate. Not for me. If I had to use a stand again I'd go with the stool/crate option or something more like rushbo's suggestion.

In the meantime, wedges ftw.

• Thanks 1

On 07/10/2021 at 08:00, uk_lefty said:

I used to do that with my Ashdown head unit but I'm trying to trim down the amount of gear I've got and have to cart around. One well placed speaker should be sufficient, though having a stack of 15s did give a certain authority to both the look and sound.

My post wasn't entirely serious, although as I use small cabs in multiples, I don't need a furniture removal van to carry my stuff around. If you have one cab, placed relatively high off the floor, you do lose that nice coupling effect that gives the sound weight. It's a matter of working out the best compromise to suit you.

I agree with those above who warn of the dangers of using Quiklok or similar stands. If you play at any volume, a bass cab can easily vibrate/walk itself off them and fall to the floor. This is especially true of lightweight gear.

Somebody else suggested this a while ago: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/braeda-laptop-support-black-60150176/

braeda-laptop-support-black__0713313_pe7

Just found the original post: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/447365-markbass-mini-cmd121p-or-fender-rumble-500-help/?do=findComment&comment=4412701

I bought one, never got round to using it till last night with my nice new GR Bass AT Cube 800 combo. Despite being right on top of the combo, I could hear it well - better than when I'd been in a similar position using a BB2 and Puma 900 (the fact I hadn't sorted out anything to stop the head sliding off was the reason I never tried it out earlier). Note that I used this with a 9.5kg combo, and the original suggester was using it with a Markbass CMD121P (11.9kg), so I'm not sure how well it would cope with a Trace Elliot at ten times that weight.