Why become a member? ×

Putting polyester resin over the face of a closed no hole pickup?

BasistaFunky

Hello there everyone, I wanna ask you all one very serious and important question. I have 2 soapbar closed no hole pickups and I wanna make a finger radius ramp, like putting an polyester resin over the face of the pickups and the thickness of the resin will be about 3 milimeters thick. So my serious question is - if I do it will that affect and change the sound and the tone of the pickup or not? Thank you

If I'm understanding what you propose correctly I'd say:

• Won't affect the tone since (afaik!) poly' resin has no magnetic characteristics
  • I wouldn't do it since it would appear to prohibit any future height adjustment of pickups (or replacement) ?

• Like 1

Most ramps that I've seen go between a pair of pickups like this:

xf6uixacsy8iqwxdwprp.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Do you need to cover the pickups? My guess would be if you have very hot pickups or like the way they sound far from the strings and adding 3mm will sill leave you room, it should have no real impact on tone. If the pickups are lowered, even a tiny amount, as @nilebodgers says, it will make a difference, good or bad is up to your ears!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aalin said:

HI

Love this ramp.

Where did you bought it ?

I just searched for "Bass ramp" on DuckDuckGo image search.

It comes from this: https://reverb.com/item/30250740-clear-thumb-rest-ramp-for-fender-jazz-basses-finger-ramp

I'm pretty sure you can get one made up or make your own if you can't find one off the shelf to fit your bass. If you like the colour or wood grain of the bass a clear ramp makes a lot of sense to me.