Why become a member? ×

My Zoom B1 four is dead....

Mickyk

After using my Zoom b1 four this evening it seems to have just died with nothing on the screen bit at all anyway i managed to do a reset but this has done nothing.

I was using a USB cable into pc for power at the time, so decided to use my P9 volt power adapter and i was brief getting power which is when i did the reset ,but again nothing .

Any ideas ?

Bad luck. Like the others it sounds like it could be a power supply issue if the screen lit up for long enough to reset. Try batteries. One possibility is the input jack, that's what switches the thing on and off. It's probably working by the sleeve on the plug shorting the ring and sleeve connections internally, though there could be a switch. Try a bit of switch cleaner on your jack lead and maybe give it a wipe. I'd avoid spraying inside too much so you might clean the socket with a bit of switch cleaner on the plug and a wiggle in and out.

Other than that it could be something simple internally but a repairer is going to want a fixed charge to open it up to look and that won't be much less than a new one.

Good Luck 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Have you tried it with batteries.

When you say 'I was brief getting power' does that mean the screen lit up?

It did but that didn't work. However it did work briefly when i plugged the adapter in which is when i did the reset but it wasn't long before it failed afterwards.

Edited by Mickyk

Think I may have it sussed. The Jack on the YAM 424x appears to be a loose fit so its working intermittently. I meant to change it ages ago so maybe now is the time to do it .

But why would the loose jack cause the Zoom problem with it not displaying anything on the little screen, because after waggling the guitar lead in the jack the screen has now reappeared, so I'm going to try my other bass which I know has a sound jack.

The B1-4 screen should power up with just an external power supply (i.e. computer usb or 9v adapter) connected. 

With internal batteries, the screen only powers up with an the input jack from a guitar lead, to save on battery life. But that lead doesn't actually need to be connected to anything. 

Edited by Al Krow

6 hours ago, Mickyk said:

But why would the loose jack cause the Zoom problem with it not displaying anything on the little screen, because after waggling the guitar lead in the jack the screen has now reappeared, so I'm going to try my other bass which I know has a sound jack.

6 hours ago, Mickyk said:

WTf,it was working with the different guitar  briefly 10 mins, now it packed up again .Losing faith in these now.

It sounds very much something in the B1/Four is loose, and probably just a coincidence what you are doing with the other guitars.

2 hours ago, Mickyk said:

I don't understand this thing at all, It works for about 8/10 mins then packs in, I think it's going in the bin.

Sounds very much like something is loose / intermittant, maybe as it heats up something expands and disconnects. Always tricky to find. Its true it would be uneconomical to fix but I am sure someon who wants to fix it for themselves could get it and fix it rather than just binning it. Obviously doesn't help you but better to re recycle if possible!