Why become a member? ×

Fusion recommendations

Fishfacefour

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I loved the first two TT albums but lost interest after that. Too 'jammy' after that for my tastes. Willis is a monster, though. 

Tribal Tech, the album is fantastic, some real gems in there such as The Necessary Blonde. Illicit is also good (and has some stunning bass playing). Reality Check less so but still some good songs (Nite Club, Speak, Jakarta and Foreign Affairs). Face First is more patchy (but Wounded is brilliant, Willis' best solo IMHO). Thick is only really worth it for Slick and they lost me completely with Rocket Science (except the liner notes, which are hilarious). From their earlier albums (which I could never find in print so bought Primal Tracks), Nomad, Mango Prom, The Rain and Twilight in Northridge are worth listen. They are rather hard to reproduce, as a band, however :)

I guess you can't talk about Fusion and guitar without mentioning Allan Holdsworth but a) no-one will know the tunes and b) there's little chance the guitar player will be up to the job 🤣

• Like 1

On 04/10/2021 at 12:54, Fishfacefour said:

Thanks for those recommendations.

Yes I've been using that transcription. It's excellent! It's so great to be able to find these things as part of this community. 

Just found this from the history books - https://velcropelmet.com/music - contains a clip of our Chromazone (plus other hit singles from the genre)

Edited by toneknob
  • Thanks 1

One of the best (my favourite) funk/blues/fusion guitar trio albums was a CD I bought from a UK band. Will have the dig the CD out as I can't find anything specific on them online. They were called 'JuJu' I think. Or that was the name of their album. 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this: Wired by Jeff Beck. Amazing album featuring a brilliant backing band including the mighty Wilbur Bascomb on bass. Fusion on the rockier side:

Edited by EdLib-3
Typo
  • Like 1

On 04/10/2021 at 15:30, yorks5stringer said:

Here's one of my faves that I used to do, not sure how  you categorise Scofield's playing?

John Scofield is the man!!! Bump is one of my all time favourite albums. Worth checking out:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

On the groove side of fusion... Bennie Maupin. 'It remains to be seen' from the Slow Traffic to Right album. Very 70s but always ripe for a modern interpretation. 

Ooh yes. More groove stuff please.

I'm certainly not up to Paul Jackson standard yet, but do love headhunters etc.

2 hours ago, Fishfacefour said:

Ooh yes. More groove stuff please.

I'm certainly not up to Paul Jackson standard yet, but do love headhunters etc.

On the groove front:

Victor Bailey - Sweet tooth

Lenny White - Wolfbane

Pleasure - Joyous

Not forgetting anything by Medeski Martin & Wood, plus the entire Billy Cobham backlog.

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2021 at 22:33, EdLib-3 said:

I've surprised no one has mentioned this: Wired by Jeff Beck. Amazing album featuring the mighty Wilbur Bascomb on bass; fusion on the rockier side:

Beat me to it. Definitely doable as a trio and, imho, a bit more accessible for audiences.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfacefour said:

Just got a chance to check this out properly. Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Very kind of you to say so. The band has moved on now, so look out for posts in the Bassists Available ads before too long!

On 04/10/2021 at 18:16, lowdown said:

Ahhhh i knew you would pick that 🙂

what a great album,,,

i did a sort of bass noodle of one of the tracks on this for the 1min bass noodles comp on this site somewhere, here ya go guess which track ?

also can i suggest this fantastic lp

• Like 1