Why become a member? ×

Basschat cab designs.

Phil Starr

UNDER DEVELOPMENT

Hi All, as most of you will know a few of us here have been developing a series of cab designs on a similar line to creative commons. Free for anyone to use, share or add to so long as it is done on a not for profit basis. So far we have developed a 1x12 Basschat Mk1, a smaller easy build version of the 1x12, a very high quality lightweight FRFR 112T currently described as the Mk3 (the mk 2 was withdrawn when the drive units ceased to be manufactured) and a low cost 110T. I've also built a 1x6 'House Jam Combo' in the build diaries along with a 6" House Jam home practice speaker, a lightweight 2x10 and a 1x15 not yet published but which I'm happy to share. I'm sure there will be more to come so that we will have a fairly comprehensive set of designs. The problem has been that with the passage of time (we started in 2014) the designs have gradually become lost in the thousands of topics posted on BC and a lot of the original illustrations/photo's have been lost when file sharing sites went down or became subscription only. My aim is to make sure you can get all the links to the original designs from one place and to go back and retrieve as much information as I can to aid anyone who wants to build these designs. I'd also like to achieve a little standardisation to keep the design threads as short as possible but with plenty of helpful practical hints. At the moment most of the designs are long rambling threads going on for many pages. I'll link to those threads to start with but replace them with links to the edited designs as I get time to do them.

I'm going to reserve a few replies so i can easily edit this thread please don't comment for the next 10-15 mins

Basschat 12 Mk1   single 12" driver, 350W, 122db, 14kg easy to build 1x12" Mk1 112

Basschat 'Easybuild Cab' Smaller version of the Mk1 with a tailored bass response to match difficult acoustic spaces (pokey pubs :) ) this has a video of a live build (in under an hour!) at the Southwest Bass Bash Easy 12" cab build

Basschat Mk3 lightweight 12" neo driver with neo horn very high quality FRFR design. FRFR 112T

Basschat 110T Easybuild Lockdown project. A lightweight 'easybuild' 1x10 with a good quality horn. The crossover has only three components and requires no soldering. Basschat easy-build 110T

House Jam Combo/speaker A remarkably competent and loud 1x6 perfect for home practice and semi acoustic work. This is a build diary with minimal design details but I'll look to write this up as a design as soon as possible A House Jam Speaker

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 11

Hi All, I've had a long look at all the various threads I've linked to above and realised that a simple cut and paste isn't going to be as easy as I thought. Some of the parts we used aren't made any more and because the threads were written by different people there isn't a consistent format. Having said that we've only used a limited range of construction techniques and most of the parts can be substituted simply. For example the 'easy build' technique has been used on several cabs and the techniques of fitting grilles, sockets, handles, rounding edges and so on are all just repetition. 

Would it work well to just have a couple of detailed build threads and building tips here and then separately a good set of drawings and pictures, a parts list, and a few essential details for each design? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all @carnabass has saved one of our old designs and is sending me some of our original material as pdf's. We lost a lot of photos of the builds too as Photobucket and other sites disappeared. Do any of you have any old material saved anywhere that might be useful, it could be of your own build even. If you have can you pm me

I will go through all of the posts in the long threads but I already know a lot of information has disappeared and screenshots are great but I'm losing some quality by doing everything that way.

I'm working to get my micro-cab build up this week. It would be good to get some comments up there about the format so I can learn from mistakes and polish up the other designs as I get to them.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 03/10/2021 at 17:53, Phil Starr said:

They've already indicated this is a possibility. I'll get back to them when I 've taken it a bit further and I've got a bit more to show them.

Having just gone hunting for a 1x10 build, I think it would be useful if this was pinned, simply as an index to the original threads. Just add caveats where particular drivers are no longer available.

• Like 1

I did get agreement from Ped and Kiwi to do something like this a while back but life and gigging have got in the way of my compiling all the information, it's quite a mammoth task and I've made a couple of false starts. Apart for the BassChat 112T Mk 3 they all use the same "easy build" construction technique so it makes sense to detail the technique once only. I was thinking that each cab would merit a couple of standardised posts, the first with pics and a description of the cab along with its specs the second with a set of drawings and a parts list and then a reference to a standard construction guide.

The other complication is that some of the original drivers are no longer being made and even things like handles, corners, ports and connectors are changed, more crucially some of the horns are no longer available. This means a re-design and potentially further testing as all the designs so far have been thoroughly trialled before we release them.

If you need some help then start a build diary and i'll give you all the help I can on there. PM me when you start in case i don't pick it up :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

The other complication is that some of the original drivers are no longer being made .

If you need some help then start a build diary and i'll give you all the help I can on there. PM me when you start in case i don't pick it up :)

If anyone wishes to  have a go at building one of @stevie and @Phil Starr  excellent cabs designs on an entry level budget I have a couple of used ( but in great condition) Bayma SM212 drives FOC. These were used in the Mk1 & Mk2 cabs and are very fine drivers, pay the shipping and they are yours. PM me.

I have enjoyed great fun following and building cabs that @stevie and @Phil Starr have freely shared to Basschaters.

• Like 3

On 02/11/2023 at 09:06, JohnDaBass said:

If anyone wishes to  have a go at building one of @stevie and @Phil Starr  excellent cabs designs on an entry level budget I have a couple of used ( but in great condition) Beyma SM212 drives FOC.

Well, I have been really surprised by the number of "wood-Be" ( see what I did there 😂) DIY, novice Basschat cab builders wishing to have-a-go at building their own bass cab.

After due consideration, (closed eyes and used a pin) two successful builders have now safely recieved their Beyma SM212s.

I look forward to seeing a story of their builds in the Build Diary section.

Apologies to those who missed out on this ocassion.

Happy building and take care not loose any fingers playing with those power tools 😮

Edited by JohnDaBass
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, tauzero said:

It might be an idea to add https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/481042-new-basschat-8cab-design/ to the original topic.

The cab in the first post was designed to go with my supercharged Ashdown After Eight. It is much better than it ought to be. I believe the design of the easy build is being drawn up as we speak, but the computer is very old and is driver by six heavy horses. Sadly one of the horses has gone lame but once it has recovered, the design drawings will be ready (I think).