Why become a member? ×

80's Status Graphite - info/advice needed

MattW

Hi All. 

This is for sale up the road from me and hopefully going to have a look at it today.  The only info they give is they think it was made in 1988.    Apparently it was owned by the sellers dad who worked for Status at the time and it's virtually unplayed.

Anyone know anything about them?  Any idea on value?

Thanks!  Matt

Screenshot_20211002-220733.thumb.png.592b3607aa43073a49ac2b9f9b4b4361.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That looks great, is it a S 3000 ?

No idea tbh.  I think it's passive with a bolt on neck if that helps?!  Hopefully will find out more when I see it.

They are asking £800.  I have no idea if that's good or not??

It does look like an s3000. I bought one on here for around that price during lockdown and love it. Although it had been ‘modified’ and I’ve just spent a few quid with Status to get it back to standard. They have an active 18v circuit but it only does treble boost and cut. If you get the serial number then status will have a record of when it was made and original specs etc. Serial should be on the brass fitting at the nut end of the neck. Lovely looking bass. 

• Like 2

Had a look and walked straight away sadly. Firstly it was fretless which the seller hasn't mentioned!  Not a deal breaker but not really that useful to me as I don't gig fretless much at all. Secondly it was far from immaculate - not terrible, but definitely used.  Action was also awful, but neck was straight so probably just needed lowering at the bridge.

Apparently the ladies Dad worked for Status and built basses for Rhino amongst others - had some photos of his previous builds.   Doesn't have any real info on the bass itself though or know about them (hence not knowing the difference between fretless and fretted!).  I forgot to check the serial number unfortunately or I could have checked myself.

Not for me, but if anyone else near Chelmsford is interested I can pass you the details!

• Like 3

Shame there was some critical info missing. 

From the description of the active EQ it seems a lot like my Washburn Status S1000. That has a 9v active circuit that just does treble boost/ cut and acts similar to a master tone pot on a passive bass.

• Like 1

I saw that add and was tempted, the made by my dad comment spooked me a bit, sounded like it might not have passed through robs hands, but I’m shallow as the colour ultimately deterred me, but at this price for a genuine carbon neck status …with a bit of tlc this could be a killer deal. 

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

The battery is under the lid at the rear, like almost all early battery powered instruments. 😉

I’m intrigued now. @Hellzero how can you tell it’s an energy and not an s3000? Mine looks exactly the same but does have a separate battery box. We’re they basically the same model but rob decided to change the name?

@MattW - I've held this bass a few days ago when I collected a totally un-bass related item from the seller. Its fretless and the action is very high... overall the condition is fine but it will definitely need a good and thorough set up and strings! They initially had it listed for £3000, I suggested a more appropriate value which they seemed to have now gone with. The sellers dad worked for Rob Green at Status Basses in the 80s and 90s so the comment about being made by her dad is 100% legitimate. 

Just read further up that you've seen it and came to the same conclusion! Sorry I didn't post earlier and save you the trip! Anyway... as you were! 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Hellzero said:

The (first generation) Energy and the S3000 are exactly the same basses, except that the S3000 has a separate battery box and a 2 bands EQ with stacked treble and bass.

Sorry to dispel the myth, but the S3000 & Energy are totally different.

The 3000 necks were black in colour (& outsourced from a moulding supplier), The circuit was a PS1 which was an active treble boost only, they also came with polished gold hardware.

When Status started to produce their own graphite mouldings, the series4000 was the second of their bolt-on neck models.

These came with a moulded body, Status moulded graphite neck (where you could see the weave) & the same PS circuit. By now Status were spraying their hardware with a matt gold finish..

The Energy series was brought out as a more cost-concious instrument, being passive toned by nature with an op-amp to raise the gain of the pick-ups, these came with the first headed option bolt-on neck & were available only with a Walnut body.

What’s on offer in the advert, looks like a special order, Check the serial number out with Status themselves if anyone is interested in buying, this will prove if it’s legitimate or not?

I only offer this information as another ex Status employee…

Edited by Bassman68
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the original seller listed it as pending, and it's turned up again with another seller in Sudbury for £750.  Guessing they bought it cheaper and selling on at a profit.  Also selling for their Dad apparently.  Still listed as unplayed (buckle rash says otherwise), but more photos for those wondering about its preamp etc:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/620141369349375/

Edited by MattW
  • Like 2

On 07/10/2021 at 19:08, MattW said:

So the original seller listed it as pending, and it's turned up again with another seller in Sudbury for £750.  Guessing they bought it cheaper and selling on at a profit.  Also selling for their Dad apparently.  Still listed as unplayed (buckle rash says otherwise), but more photos for those wondering about its preamp etc:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/620141369349375/

Or maybe whoever bought it found out something, the price is too close to the original to be speculative unless the original owner sold it super cheap which I somehow doubt.