Why become a member? ×

A shout for the PJB Briefcase combo

Soledad

Bought a minter from Munchies here about 4 weeks ago. I already use a 6B cab (with GB 900 head) and I am partial to the PJB approach.

I'd felt these things were getting passed around a bit - see one for sale, few months it's up for sale again. So what's it all about?

This isn't a proper review so not in reviews section - just a quick impressions thing.
I seriously love this combo. Very small, quite a lump (about 13Kg I think) and sounds fabulous. The reputation is 'hi-fi' and I suppose that is a fair indication of what you get.

I leave the EQ flat almost always - I may well use the L/F to correct for boomy rooms say, but apart from that either the Precision Special (PJ) straight in and all tone shaping on the bass, or the fretless through my board to use the Sansamp for mid shaping and a touch of drive, plus the chorus on subtle settings.

I don't really bother with the compression, it's a fairly basic 3:1 limiter. So for me this is a swith on, set a level above the max I'll need (about 12 o'clock) and do everything at the bass (or pedalboard and bass for the fretless).

How's it sound, I mean what's this 'hi-fi' thing? Well, I know exactly what my PJ sounds like straight into the desk and back through decent monitors. That is what it sounds like, I mean exactly that.

It is not loud. It's seriously OTT for home practice. It's loud enough for acoustic/unplugged type stuff. Couldn't balance to most drummers so that's out.
Fortunately I do get involved in a fair bit of acoustic so it has a purpose for me.

Discontinued now and replaced with cheaper variants, but the Briefcase feels, looks and sounds every dollar. 

Do you need one? No. Do you want one? Depends. But I bloody love it - an absolute definite keeper.

• Like 3

Yes, I have a PJB briefcase and it's a really good bit of kit. I use mine mostly with double bass, but have also used it with a band rehearsal and it just about coped with a quiet drummer. Being able to run it off a battery for an hour is another useful feature. I'm even getting used to the farting noise it makes when you turn it off. I also had a double four  for a while, but gifted it to an elderly friend who was struggling with the size and weight of his previous combo. Amazing to think that kit this compact can make such a big sound.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pete.young said:

I use mine mostly with double bass

I imagine that will sound very good. I tried plugging an electro-acoustic guitar into it, sounds very good indeed. I think the small speakers and clean amp make it a good solution for quite a few instruments.

21 hours ago, Ba55me15ter said:

unfortunately let-down on mine by a very noisy (when it kicks-in) fan

Don't think mine has kicked in yet, (or it is very quiet). I've not run mine hard anyway, mainly balancing with an acoustic guitar or two.
Noisy fans do annoy me - not forgivable I think as super-quiet induction motors can be got on eBay for peanuts, I mean manufacturers can surely source near-silent fans. I recall a noisy fan on a Trace head some years ago but at fan-level the rig was so LOUD it really didn't matter!

• Like 1

On 07/10/2021 at 16:36, EssentialTension said:

Forgot to say I also have a PJB Bass Buddy, which is largely the same item minus the power amp and speakers.

Love my Bass Buddy, just waiting to get it back from Selectron where it’s been in for repair since July. Don’t forget the bass buddy does have a 10W amp built-in and I’ve used mine as an effective home practice amp.

9 minutes ago, JPJ said:

Love my Bass Buddy, just waiting to get it back from Selectron where it’s been in for repair since July. Don’t forget the bass buddy does have a 10W amp built-in and I’ve used mine as an effective home practice amp.

True enough but I am on headphones, due to neighbours in apartment block.