Why become a member? ×

zoom Livetrack L20 or Tascam Model 24, anyone got one?

skidder652003

Thinking of going back down the digital route but with a more analogue type mixer desk.

Would like to record each member of band actually onto SD card in the desk to transfer to DAW the next day.

These 2 desks fit the bill, both with 20 to 24 individual track recording. Used to have an X-Air 18, did the same thing but using a tablet was a pain.

Tascam is much bigger and heavier but looks better and more robust but the zoom has 6 Aux sends to the Tascam's 3. Probably not a deal breaker as its for live gig use rather than studio / multi headphone use.

Anyway, anyone bit the bullet and got either one yet? Just wondered how they found them?

Both roughly the same price, just under the £800 mark.

Here's a comparison

https://www.audiotechnology.com/reviews/tascam-model-24-vs-zoom-livetrak-l-20

Edited by skidder652003

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Wow! That is a shedload of money ... what use will you actually get from all those stems? Are you planning to issue your cover of Yessongs anytime soon?

You must have seen our band then! Seriously though, £800 seems ok for a good desk, especially one that can record stems. I really enjoy mixing the gigs but it can be a pain using the zoom Q2n's for audio. Quality can vary from venue to venue and having each track recorded could give me hours of mixing fun! If we flog our old desk for a couple of hundred, it's only another 150 each, just a couple of gigs really. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had a LiveTrak L-12. It's a very, very good piece of equipment that can do pretty much everything you will ever need. I had a really good experience with it. I only got rid of it due to needing more channels and upgrading to an Allen and Heath, with some external mic preamps.

The sound quality is good and clear, and the simultaneous SD Card/DAW recording feature was really handy. It's a bit plastic fantastic, but it feels okay and this keeps the weight down significantly, they are as light as a feather. I loved how lightweight the L-12 was, even with the protective case. I'm already starting to hate lugging this Allen and Heath around. The headphone amps are also great. When you use the desk, it's obvious they have opted for feature set over build quality.

I'd have no issues tracking through the LiveTrak. The only cons I can see with the L-20 is the width of the channels, this might make things awkward for labelling. 

Edited by Light Grenade
  • Thanks 1