Why become a member? ×

Guitarist jumps ship; falls in love on Bass Island.

D0gS0litud3

40+ plus years a guitar player and resisted all that time playing the bass... always loved a good bass line though.

Then I got an invite in 2019 to help out a local band who'd lost their bassist just before going into studio. Absolutely loved it. I'm a much better musician for the experience and we're still rehearsing and recording together.

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2021 at 10:03, police squad said:

welcome sir, do we get to hear the recordings? What bass did you play?

Thank you Mr. Police. I'm currently cohabiting with a Reverend Sentinel shortie strung with TI flats. 

However, in studio I was on a borrowed LaBella loaded Mex P Bass. I did ok on maybe 3 months playing and a bit of comping I reckon. 

On 05/10/2021 at 16:25, ezbass said:

:crigon_04:

Plenty of folk here who dabble (or have done on the past) on the skinny stringed beast.

:D

I must admit I sneak off for a bit of a crafty session from time to time and it takes a while for my fingers to stop feeling like bananas 😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, D0gS0litud3 said:

Thank you Mr. Police. I'm currently cohabiting with a Reverend Sentinel shortie strung with TI flats. 

However, in studio I was on a borrowed LaBella loaded Mex P Bass. I did ok on maybe 3 months playing and a bit of comping I reckon. 

:D

I must admit I sneak off for a bit of a crafty session from time to time and it takes a while for my fingers to stop feeling like bananas 😂

you're a natural. Nice one

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Good morning Mr Dog (or is it Mr SOlitud? or Mr 3? :lol: )

Welcome to our humble abode. Pull up a chair, grab yourself a cup/pint/dram/schooner* of summat and enjoy yourself. Don't forget to check out Guitarchat too. https://www.basschat.co.uk/forum/96-guitarchat/

*other beverage measurements are available

"Mr Dog (or is it Mr SOlitud? or Mr 3?"... I have no idea. The name is some dimly-remembered location from a sci-fi novel I read 20 years ago :D

Thank you- I will have a go on the auld guitarchat section and hang out with the other heretics. Cheers!

3 hours ago, Bassybert said:

Welcome to the forum @D0gS0litud3

Really enjoyed those songs too ☺️

Thanks very much! :D This is pretty light, lounge indie. We are a lot grungier these days. Me and the drummer have clicked on a much heavier groove now. We're minus a guitar player at the moment and I have an HX Stomp so... :D

1 hour ago, police squad said:

you're a natural. Nice one

Thanks very much. That means a lot actually. The fingerstyle stuff I played for years makes me quite a weird player really but it was damn useful when I dropped myself in the deep end for this EP- I could just concentrate on the left hand/ melodic stuff kind of thing.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2021 at 19:36, D0gS0litud3 said:

40+ plus years a guitar player and resisted all that time playing the bass... always loved a good bass line though.

Then I got an invite in 2019 to help out a local band who'd lost their bassist just before going into studio. Absolutely loved it. I'm a much better musician for the experience and we're still rehearsing and recording together.

A familiar story - welcome aboard!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry I've been off forum dealing with life and infections. Thanks for the lovely remarks. As a beginner it makes a huge difference. Here's a recent rough (very rough) studio take of an arrangement... minus a guitarist at the moment so I'm delving into effects on intro and outro parts with some crossover into drive, octave and Leslie speaker sim. Getting the baseline tone just so is so difficult... Massive respect to people who have this down.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipe5k4b8uro3g29/Once Bitten.mp3?dl=0

9 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Welcome to The Light 

And the heavy, right? :D

15 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Welcome on board chief, your gear will cost more and be heard less. ☹️

Man- tell me about it... Having said that, this HX Stomp gives you some options to do both which I'm enjoying a lot.