Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB5-Pii - still desirable?

Chopthebass

Well, it's still a Yamaha TRB-P so it's always a good bass. Very well built, great sound and great feel. They rarely come up for sale (same goes for the non-P versions by the way) so that possibly means people are holding on to them and playing them extensively. If one comes up for sale, I don't really see a change in prices compared to 10 years ago. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

One of these has come up for sale nearby, and wondering if value has plummeted or if the are still a good buy. There’s plenty of good reviews but not much info on accurate used value. Sure, you see them on eBay and reverb but are prices inflated? 
cheers

They seem to fetch £1300 - £1500 here, don’t come up too often. I had one about 5/6 years ago in bubinga and I regret selling. Think I got £1450

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a stunning TRB5 Pii currently in the FS. 

But the weight at 5.04kg / 11.1 lbs was the deal breaker for me - too much for me to comfortably wear over a 2 hour set. I'm not sure they ever come much lighter, but you might be comfortable with the weight.

I've also just discovered how outrageously good the Yamaha BB 2005s are, particularly for the money - they've been the best kept Yamaha secret from me till now! 85% of what my BB NE2 provided at 30% of the cost - very, very happy with it. If you get a chance to try one of these, definitely worth giving it a spin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If anything I think that the PII models have always been a bit undervalued. The owners will tell you they're as good as any bass you can buy (Munjibunga on TB said his was easily a match for his Fodera bass for example). The used prices don't really reflect that. I am sure they're brilliant. 

41 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

I think the reserve will be a lot higher. These seem to trade for £1500+. It does look nice. I prefer the maple topped models, they're stunning. 

He's actually said no reserve, but collection only from Brum.

The seller has estimated the date of manufacture as being 2007 but from the serial number 0FK1096 I think it's a fair bit older at April 2000. The one in the FS has a QNM serial no. = (June) 2007 as stated by the seller. The eBay one is ash and ovangkol so may well be lighter than the, lovely but heavy, bubinga one in the FS here.

@AndyTravis - you tempted by the one on eBay - could be a real bargain with limited buyers as he's not willing to courier and no reserve?

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

@Al Krow no - I keep thinking about 5’s since working on @lee650’s 425 - But with the music I’m doing, that B would…ahem B in the way…

Ah fair enough - totally agree that if you're primarily playing 4s, then there's no particularly point getting a premium 5er.

Btw - do you agree with my dating of the eBay TRB 5Pii? Be good to get a second opinion!

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah fair enough - totally agree that if you're primarily playing 4s, then there's no particularly point getting a premium 5er.

Btw - do you agree with my dating of the eBay TRB 5Pii? Be good to get a second opinion!

Seems about right. Yamaha serial numbers are frigging bonkers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1