Why become a member? ×

Teebs

I posted on the Amps & Cabs section to see if anyone could recommend a small speaker cab for use when staying away from home that would partner the Hotone Nano Bass amp.

There were lots of useful suggestions, but nothing that quite matched what I was after. I love the PJB stuff, but and that would probably be perfect for the job, but I didn't want to spend any money on bass gear this year. With this in mind, I decided to spend money building my own travelling cab to my own spec.!

What I was after is a small, not loud speaker cab for quiet practice that I could take with me when I wasn't at home. To be powered by something like the Hotone Nano or Vox Amplug, making it portable was important.

I would usually just practice with headphones & a preamp, but the baby likes me to play along to songs for him ('Reach' S Club 7, 'Go Your Own Way' Fleetwood Mac, and 'Rockabye' Clean Bandit are particular favourites! 🤣).

Last month when we stayed in a holiday cottage, and I used my Vox Amplug & the Blackstar Fly 3 extension cab that I'd modified to take a 1/4" Jack plug. The sound was okay, all things considered, but I wanted something less 'plasticcy'. The idea for the Teeny Tiny Bass Cab V.01 was forming.

I had a couple of 3" 15W 4Ω FR hifi speakers lying around, and so decided to build my cab around those.

Not being able to do the calcs for speaker internal volume and port requirements, I had the brainwave to scale down the dimensions of my Trace Elliot 2103H cab: 2x 10" speakers down to 2x 3" speakers = divide TE dimensions by 3.333333333333333333333 rec.

Sometimes my genius astounds even me! vachette.gif.0adc69576f9e525464eba95016ce32ca.gif

I drew up my design & went shopping.

IMG_20211001_073902_1633070466659__01_1633070595351.jpg

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Next steps...

IMG_20210930_202340_1633071951874.jpg

IMG_20210930_211045__01_1633071975043.jpg

IMG_20210930_202349__01_1633071994829.jpg

IMG_20210930_202411_1633072032488.jpg

IMG_20210930_202401__01_1633072061737.jpg

And now the wait for speaker mesh, panel pins and bits begins.

It sounds okay with the HotOne amp, but not much bottom end. It'll maybe be better when the 'lid' is on. Possibly get some better speakers if I reckon its worth it.

Jobs remaining:

1 - make 'lid' & cover in vinyl;

2 - make speaker grille frame;

3 - finish corners;

4 - mount HotOne on lid;

5 - work out lid opening device!

9_9

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 4

• Teebs changed the title to Teeny Tiny Bass Cab (TTBC V. 01)
1 minute ago, JohnDaBass said:

Great effort Mr Teebs , thanks for posting.

I'm sure you will hear a difference when you fit the top and seal the cab allowing the ports to do their job.

Thanks John DB!

Very kind :)👍🏻

Just now, Teebs said:

Thanks John DB!

Very kind :)👍🏻

Sadly you have ignited an idea to build something similar. I seem to recall that tucked away in the basement there are a couple of 4ins speakers salvaged from a Grundig HiFi sub woofer that I chucked away a few years back. 

Note to self:- remember how dusty it is down the basement 🙄

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Sadly you have ignited an idea to build something similar. I seem to recall that tucked away in the basement there are a couple of 4ins speakers salvaged from a Grundig HiFi sub woofer that I chucked away a few years back. 

Note to self:- remember how dusty it is down the basement 🙄

Do it!

And do a build diary! 👍🏻

Beware spiders!

🕸 🕸 🕸

:o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking good.

It reminds me of when I made a pair of satellite speakers for an early HiFi system using Kef B110s and T27s. Mine were made from solid mahogany as per the HiFi News specsheet. (They later changed it to 5mm ply at around a quarter of the cost of the mahogany - but not before I'd built the speakers! :/). Being a HiFi system the cabinets had lots of internal damping using a sort of bitumen/sand mix on the internal panels, and they were stuffed with a heavy black wool. I forget the names of those elements, but DIY HiFi buffs will no doubt know them. Dunno if damping will be of any use on your cab...?

Had them for years, along with a home-built sub of my own design (9_9). It was the size of a coffee table, and in retrospect should probably have had a bit more thought put into its design. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Teebs said:

but the baby likes me to play along to songs for him

Does he?

Does he really?

Or are you just inflicting this on him?

Cruel I call it*. Psychological torture. Banned by most civilised nations, that is.

Put him in a little orange romper suit and you’ve got the Manchester version of Guantanamo Bay.

Poor little tyke.

*Not really. I think this is insufferably cute but where’s the fun in telling you that? I do think you’re at risk of putting him off the bass for life, though. Unless your plan is for him to lie there thinking “F_ck sake, Dad, stop murdering Reach, will ya? Pass it here amd let me show you….”

Oh, and shouldn’t this be Tiny Teebs’s Teeny Tiny Bass Cab?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

Does he?

Yes

Does he really?

Yes

Or are you just inflicting this on him?

Yes / No

Cruel I call it*. Psychological torture. Banned by most civilised nations, that is.

Untrue (Kylie played 24/4 by the Yanks besieging Noriega 'til he surrendered)

Put him in a little orange romper suit and you’ve got the Manchester version of Guantanamo Bay.

He's got an orange romper suit :/

Poor little tyke.

Evil monster-child hactually

Oh, and shouldn’t this be Tiny Teebs’s Teeny Tiny Bass Cab?

Sorted

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Teebs said:

Jobs remaining:

1 - make 'lid' & cover in vinyl;

2 - make speaker grille frame;

3 - finish corners;

4 - mount HotOne on lid;

5 - work out lid opening device;

6 - learn finishing skills!

:biggrin: