Why become a member? ×

Fender J ‘Style’ Bass

DubDelay

A bit, umm, vague. 

The only things that allude to being Fender are the pickups, which would probably be difficult to verify unless you could identify them from the photo or get them out.

All said and done, it's about as genuine as all those Limelight, Bravewood and Squire basses carrying Fender decals.

• Like 1

It's strange indeed. Definitely not a Fender. The bridge is a BadAss which is fine, the pickups don't look like Fender pickups with their rounded edges. The neck says Squier to me, the tuners are a mystery to me. It might be a good bass (it looks like it could be quite decent) but parts basses are notoriously hard to sell. Wouldn't go for it, except if it's the exact bass you'd want for a price you can afford.

• Like 1

Yeah, it looks perfectly well put together. I'd guess the neck is Mighty-Mite, I have one and it looks very similar - looks like quite a flat fretboard and the black plastic sleeve access to the truss-rod is consistent with them, too. Although, to me, it looks like a slightly wider nut, possibly a Precision neck?

Thanks for the detailed answers. It seems overpriced for sure. I’d probably pay €300 max, being no expert.

I’m not too bothered with what’s on the headstock I guess some people might like a cheap ‘Fender’. 

MIJ jazzes come up for the same price a few times a year on that site so will have to bide my time. 

Cheers again. 

There was an early 80's Japanese Tokai on there for several months, last year, at the same price. You'll get much better bargains if you're not too pushed on having the big F on the headstock, as they're all that seem to sell regularly on Adverts. Did you see a guy selling the Thompson Stingray for €550? It's mental that it wasn't snapped up immediately before the usual lowballer infestation. Keep an eye on here, too. Not every seller is in the UK.

• Like 1