Why become a member? ×

J&D Jazz bass scratchplate

MoonBassAlpha

I'd carefully check the screw holes and see how they match up with a generic one. You could get one made but that's probably not economically viable on a £150 Bass. Equally a cheapo generic is not a huge outlay. The other issue may be the heel of the neck shape which may differ on the J&D to a generic one, you may need to do a little filing.

Cheapest way is to buy a piece of Tort and make your own using the existing plate as a template but you need a few tools and some time.....

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

I'd carefully check the screw holes and see how they match up with a generic one. You could get one made but that's probably not economically viable on a £150 Bass. Equally a cheapo generic is not a huge outlay. The other issue may be the heel of the neck shape which may differ on the J&D to a generic one, you may need to do a little filing.

Cheapest way is to buy a piece of Tort and make your own using the existing plate as a template but you need a few tools and some time.....

Out of interest,  would it be usable without a plate, or do they have ugly routing holes/trenches?

14 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Out of interest,  would it be usable without a plate, or do they have ugly routing holes/trenches?

No idea,  but you could get your mate to unscrew it and see, they could be lucky? The one below would be fine.

https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/products/jb-1960?variant=499055977&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2018-12-15&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjfXHkqKq8wIVB7DtCh3GkQ2vEAQYBCABEgK3h_D_BwE

15 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

I don’t remember them being ridiculous, but I don’t have a photo without the plate and it was 8 years ago. 

Here is a pic with the generic plate on it though, if helpful!

image.thumb.png.00c845d42b6e108c34ff5af8b4cfc5bf.png

Thanks for the input folks. I got to play his bass yesterday and was blown away how well it played with no setup. I  would have further fettled it to my taste,  but  he has a lot heavier touch than me. It was a flying visit, so I didn't get the chance to remove the scratchplate though 😞