Why become a member? ×

Choices - Finger or Pick

Guest BassAdder27

I use pick for the attack, playing really fast (faster than I can with fingers) and if I've got blistered fingers. 

I mostly play with fingers because of the feel, the sound, and I can play more fluidly like this.

To change between the two I don't change my EQ I just roll up or down the master volume pot on my bass.

21 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

You would prefer to stick to one of them for consistent sound EQ etc 

But this is precisely the point -- I want a different sound, EQ etc for some songs, that's why I use both. For me, there's no option for sticking to just one or the other. 

• Like 2

Ok after a lot of consideration and thought I’ve decided my chosen method for most songs in my band will be .., 

The PICK 

I think it fills the sound out more and adds punch using a pick especially  in a guitar drums rock band. 

Edited by BassAdder27

Whilst in the real world you change between pick and fingers precisely to avoid a consistent tone, I’ll go with your question.

If I could do both equally well but had to stick to one it would be pick without doubt.

Suits the genres I’m likely to play…. Punk, post-punk etc.

On 30/09/2021 at 20:07, SteveK said:

I wouldn't let "consistent sound EQ etc" determine whether to use fingers or pick. I haven't heard you play, but I would think the sound difference is less than you think. Certainly not enough that a little judicious adjustment wouldn't fix it. If you have a FOH engineer you may want to give him a heads up.

For me, the difference between pick and fingers is more than EQ - There's a difference in attitude, and a subtle, or not so subtle difference in playing style.

Only you can decide when to use which.

I think that people over-emphasise the difference between fingers and pick. Personally, I started playing with fingers, then moved to pick in the 80s, then back to fingers. These days I play fingerstyle pretty much exclusively, purely because I am a much better player using my fingers.

I tend to go for a pretty consistent sound, but occasionally I will work out how I would play a part with a pick and then work out how to play it in that way with my fingers

I'm principally a fingers player, but I won't hesitate to use a pick if it will do a better job. I play the mandolin, too, so I know how to use one. There seems little point in working to be able to imitate the sound of a pick with the fingers. It's a bit like saying "I've practiced for years and can now play tennis quite competently with a cricket bat". Just use the tool for the job.

• Like 1