Why become a member? ×

Gone at Last

bass_dinger

Gone at Last 

I recall hearing this as a teenager, on my aunt's radiogram.  I was blown away by the energy of the track. 

I went back to it, as an adult bass player.  I was blown away by the bass line, and wanted to play it.  It feels like a musically simply line, but the speed and accuracy required make it difficult to replicate - even Paul Simon's band do not play that bassline in live concerts!   

It feels like a root-5th, with the occasional third as a passing note.  How would I go about working out the bassline?  Slow it down, for sure. Write down the notes (rather than rely on memory).  Any other tips?

For some reason, it reminds me of the bassline to Aretha Franklin's Blues Brother version of "Think!" - it has the same use of chord tones, and passing notes.  

It sounds improvised and I doubt the original player would play it exactly like the record every time they played it.

If I was learning this song I would start just start off playing the roots and fifths and then introduce fills etc, as I got more familiar with the song.

Which is probably how the original bass player came up with the bass line.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

The bass player is Gordon Edwards and this is pretty much his style.

He formed a band called Stuff with Steve Gadd, Richard T etc. Stuff was filmed at Montreaux.

Have a listen. It's a masterclass on under statement and groove.

Oooh yeah!  

Listening to Signed Sealed Delivered - that bassline is very much in the style of Gone At Last.  And I have a new favourite bassist.