Why become a member? ×

DR Sunbeams

Munurmunuh

if it's just to make it more saleable then i'd go for the D'addario (i'm guessing these are the cheapest option?), any buyer that has preferences will be looking to change the strings anyway to their preferred ones and for those that don't have any preference all they'll see is that it has fresh strings.

To me it sounds like Mr Shopman is just trying to upsell you some expensive strings that you'll never get to enjoy yourself, if it were my bass i'd probably fit some cheap stainless strings to it myself (most likely would have done this before taking it to the shop so i could keep the flats for another bass). 

i did use DR's for quite a few years back on my first bass ( Yamaha RBX765) always the Fat beams, they really worked with that bass.

Matt

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Huge Sunbeams fan - I have used them on a variety of basses playing multiple styles of music. Long lasting, easy to play thanks to the roundcore and intonate really well. Expensive but worth it. 

As a couple of things about Sunbeams make them Not My Kind Of Thing, so this was good to read :)

Edited by Ricky Rioli

I love DR Sunbeams (but find them expensive now) but as to fitting them to a bass for sale in a shop... no and no again!  

If you 'have' to fit new strings to help sell it, try taking strings off a bass you have and swapping them.  Alternatively, Thomann do a set of strings for £4.15 or there is an ebay seller knocking out cheapie sets for about £5.  

• Like 1

• Munurmunuh changed the title to DR Sunbeams

I used Sunbeams for years, on various basses (JV jazz,Musicman,Warwicks,Spector) playing all styles of music (whatever i was paid to play 😁)

They have a very warm sound with a nice brightness, but have that lovely pliant feel that the round cores give. I loved  the sound, but felt they didn't last very long (A trait I've found with most nickel strings) so preferred the High Beams. I have stopped using DR after 25 years as they have become prohibitively expensive and I feel the quality has gone down massively.

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

Ed Friedland did a comparison of all the DR strings on the old Bass Emporium website.

After listening to the various sound files I bought  a pack of DR Hi Beams. I was very happy with them and I used them for many years.

After buying a bass with Elixirs fitted, they are now my string of preference. But the basses I have, which are still fitted with the Hi Beams, still sound great.

Never tried Sunbeams.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1

On 30/09/2021 at 00:48, lee650 said:

I used Sunbeams for years, on various basses (JV jazz,Musicman,Warwicks,Spector) playing all styles of music (whatever i was paid to play 😁)

They have a very warm sound with a nice brightness, but have that lovely pliant feel that the round cores give. I loved  the sound, but felt they didn't last very long (A trait I've found with most nickel strings) so preferred the High Beams. I have stopped using DR after 25 years as they have become prohibitively expensive and I feel the quality has gone down massively.

What have you switched too? 

• 2 weeks later...